Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Different Engine #81055
07/12/06 01:59
07/12/06 01:59
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline OP
User
exile  Offline OP
User

U.S.A. Michigan
Maybe I have the wrong idea, but I feel that the "Noobs" who buy this program should have the option to literally click togeather a game. I say this because the noobs who first open this program are very intimidated by it.

If 3DGS had a "Beginner mode" not only would sales go up, but more people would buy it because of it being beginner friendly. Think like the program, The Games Factory. When I first purchased the program, I wasn't intimidated at all since the commands were so simple.

Over time, I began to grow and develop more complicated things until I mastered the engine. I know that when I first purchased 3DGS when I was 12, I was VERY intimidated by what I saw. All those big grids and those scripts that looked like jubberish, I was going to loose my mind. I even waited a few years before I even put a block in the level.

My point is that most of the people who buy this software have little to no knowlage of it. If there was a "Beginner Mode" where users could literally point and click togeather a game in mere minutes, then people would have that "Whoa this is so cool" effect. Then as time goes by, they move to the advanced mode (the current 3DGS we all use now), where they are dropped in the engine with no point and click buttons, and must do nearly everything themselves.

Re: Different Engine [Re: exile] #81056
07/12/06 08:08
07/12/06 08:08
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

That's what the Project manager in WED is for. It uses the templates and you click together a generic shooter or whatever style template is at your disposal these days(it will grow as time goes by).

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Different Engine [Re: Orange Brat] #81057
07/12/06 08:10
07/12/06 08:10
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline OP
User
exile  Offline OP
User

U.S.A. Michigan
Well at least conitec is on the right track with this. They should make it easier to find though. The average noob would get frustrated trying to locate it.

Re: Different Engine [Re: exile] #81058
07/12/06 08:32
07/12/06 08:32
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

That's why they supply a user's manual with a Contents tab. Everything you need to know is there. There are also free resources like Dan Silverman's free WED User's Manual and the free c-script tutorials(among others) on the downloads page(and around the forum).

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Different Engine [Re: exile] #81059
07/12/06 19:17
07/12/06 19:17
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

Well at least conitec is on the right track with this. They should make it easier to find though. The average noob would get frustrated trying to locate it.

Let me know how to make it easier. Maybe launch the manual when the user first uses WED?

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Different Engine [Re: Doug] #81060
07/12/06 20:19
07/12/06 20:19
Brasil
Filipe Offline
Filipe  Offline

Brasil
there is one thing, but i think it would be a little difficult to implement.
in programs like Flash or Google SketchUp, you have step-by-step, illustrated tutorials inside the program itself. it tells you exactly what button you should click, when you should click it, where is that button and what exactly it'll do.
maybe a tutorial like that would be hard to really put inside WED, but as far as i can tell there isn't a really good, step-by-step, illustrated and informative tutorial. the ones i've seen when i started were outdated and/or incomplete and/or skipping steps that the author thought i should know it already and/or simply bad.
getting inspiration from the flash and google sketchup begginers tutorials would be a good way to make GameStudio more 'begginers friendly'.

Note: i don't think that making GameStudio more 'begginers friendly' should be conitec's top priority. i am really liking the steps conitec is taking to make it more 'professional developer friendly', as making the engine as a dll to use with an engine sdk, and creating a more powerful scripting language like lite-c.
i'm just giving out my opinion on how to make it more 'beginers friendly' if someone ever decides that this should be done...

EDIT:
Note2: to be honest, it's been awhile since i last looked at any GStudio tutorial, so it's possible that a good tutorial has been writen since then, i just don't know. sorry if i'm being unfair to any recent, good tutorials.

Last edited by Filipe; 07/12/06 20:48.
Re: Different Engine [Re: Filipe] #81061
07/12/06 20:25
07/12/06 20:25
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Or maybe list some tutorials in some form.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Different Engine [Re: ulillillia] #81062
07/13/06 05:56
07/13/06 05:56
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline OP
User
exile  Offline OP
User

U.S.A. Michigan
Filipe is on the right track with this one. When the user first uses SED, MED, or WED, there should be an illustrated step by step walk through tutorial. It would teach people the basics like importing textures, using textures, creating shapes, using the tools, and other such things. There should be a dialogue box that first appears when you load up one of the editors that says, "Would you like the guided walkthrough for this program?" There should be a Yes button, No button, and a Don't show this on startup checkbox. This would teach noobs about the basics of the program, and cut back on those very simple to answer posts in the forum. I also thik that there should be "Lessons" for SED. Like "Lesson 1 - The basics". I am aware that those already exist in the manual, but noobs hardly ever read the manual.

Re: Different Engine [Re: exile] #81063
07/13/06 11:25
07/13/06 11:25
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
My 2D game's interactive tutorial might be a good start. It explains how to use each of the special abilities and other features in the game. Although 13 lessons may seem like a bit much, they are short. At the end of most lessons is where you can try out what you just learned. Gamestudio could have something similar.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Different Engine [Re: Doug] #81064
07/13/06 15:50
07/13/06 15:50
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Quote:

Maybe launch the manual when the user first uses WED?

Don't be silly, who wants to read the manual?

I think this is already in the works, but an interface that conforms to Windows' UI design rules and principles would be helpful for newcomers. (I have heard there is such a thing, but I haven't actually searched it out and downloaded it. It is somerthing similar to an ISO document).

For the completely clueless you might offer a walkthough or popups, but I don't know how far you want to go.

You could also guide them to the forum, where we RTFM so they don't have to!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de