Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Kingware, AndrewAMD, AemStones, RealSerious3D, degenerate_762), 837 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
21yr old noob :) #81258
07/13/06 08:16
07/13/06 08:16
Canada
Colonized Offline OP
Colonized  Offline OP

Canada
Hello,
Hoping this is the correct spot to post this.

I am new to GameStudio and hope to be making games soon using it. I wanted to introduce myself by saying hello and ask a few questions! I might not be around very much due to the nature of my job. I read through the site and everything that it has to offer. I still have some questions that need some verification.

Quote:

"...by following the step-by-step tutorial a simple action game can be built in one afternoon. Using the scripting language, games in commercial quality can be created, successfully published and distributed."

Can I do a complex RPG using the scripting language? (quests, races, classes, stuff) Or a Strategy game like the Total War Series? I understand this would be long hardwork but want to know if its possible just by using the csript language.

Quote:

Q. How often is Gamestudio updated, are the updates free to previous owners, and are they downwards compatible?

A. ...Upgrades to new engine generations ( A4 -> A5 -> A6) are released every couple of years and are not free. All engine updates are compatible to its predecessor, so you don't have to change your scripts when updating.

For example sake: IF I had a game on A4 all scripted using the GameStudio script with all models functioning, well basicaly a full working game, can I easily move that game on A6 and update the game with the new features the engine can offer?

I read that long post in the forums about debating what language to learn. I have a book that teaches C++, if I learn Cscript will it make learning C++ easier for me? (I dont want to limit myself, would like to tag team in C++ with friend)

I will start basic following the tutorials that I can find and hopefully be redirected too.

I would like to eventually recreate a game like Rune but with some RPG elements to it and where you can connect with friends to play. This would be a huge undertaken for me but would this be possible using only cscript and if so is it really that difficult? (trying to understand what cscript is capable of)

Development tools
I decided to use Game Space for modeling because it has .x support. Which means models can be reused alot easier in other games aswell, pluss its cheaper than xsi softimage.

I'm new to normal mapping but have found some resources out there that I will be looking into later on, but does anyone know if game space supports normal mapping... and how hard would it be to get that working in Game Studio?

I am an artist not a programmer so excuse my noobish undertones, I'll get on par soon enough. (hopefully)

Thank you for your time, looking forward to being part of the community and creating that first standalone game!

The only way to learn is the hard way. "some how say some say how someway yeah!"
Re: 21yr old noob :) [Re: Colonized] #81259
07/13/06 11:28
07/13/06 11:28
Denmark
Claus_N Offline
Serious User
Claus_N  Offline
Serious User

Denmark
Hi

Quote:

Can I do a complex RPG using the scripting language? (quests, races, classes, stuff) Or a Strategy game like the Total War Series? I understand this would be long hardwork but want to know if its possible just by using the csript language.

Yes, it's possible
But if C-Script would be your first programming language, I'd prefer to start small ;P

Quote:

For example sake: IF I had a game on A4 all scripted using the GameStudio script with all models functioning, well basicaly a full working game, can I easily move that game on A6 and update the game with the new features the engine can offer?

Much of the syntax in A4 is outdated, though it shouldn't be that hard to convert an A5 project to A6.

Quote:

I read that long post in the forums about debating what language to learn. I have a book that teaches C++, if I learn Cscript will it make learning C++ easier for me? (I dont want to limit myself, would like to tag team in C++ with friend)

Yes it would
If you haven't programmed in a C/Java language before, C-Script would be a good place to start, because it's very easy to learn.

Quote:

I would like to eventually recreate a game like Rune but with some RPG elements to it and where you can connect with friends to play. This would be a huge undertaken for me but would this be possible using only cscript and if so is it really that difficult? (trying to understand what cscript is capable of)

I don't know 'Rune', though I think it should be no problem. You can IMO do almost everything with C-Script - the biggest limitation is your imagenation
But yes, this would be difficult.

Re: 21yr old noob :) [Re: Claus_N] #81260
07/13/06 11:52
07/13/06 11:52
Brasil
Filipe Offline
Filipe  Offline

Brasil
ok, just my two cents on this

Quote:

Can I do a complex RPG using the scripting language?

in theory, yes.
in pratice, i wouldn't try it.
in my opinion, c-script is great to make simple games and to become familiar with the engine and all the features and functions it offers. but to make complex games, like a RPG, i think it's actually easier to learn c++ and object oriented programming, so you can really organize your code and make an maintainable and easy to implement architecture for your software (and knowing c++ is a much more valuable skill than knowing c-script...). the engine SDK is really easy to use once you're familiar with c/c++. with c-script (or any scripting language), as your code gets bigger, it gets harder and harder to follow it, debug and correct mistakes, and one of the more important things when writing software is to be able to debug efficiently... and that's beside the fact that c++ is just a much, much more powerful tool than c-script...
but i'm not saying you should start off with c++. i think you're on the right path, starting with c-script and following the tutorials. but as you learn more about the engine's features, think about learning c++ and OOP to make more complex games.

well, i ended up writing a lot more than i originally intended in this post ...
but that's my opinion anyway...

hope it helps.
Filipe

Re: 21yr old noob :) [Re: Filipe] #81261
07/13/06 12:05
07/13/06 12:05
Mittelerde / Düsterwald / Elbe...
Legolas24 Offline
Legolas24  Offline

Mittelerde / Düsterwald / Elbe...
I agree with Filipe, especially complex RPGs are much easier to program using OOP.

You could also do it with C-script, but at some point you might get some problems or at least lots of hard work.

Wenn wer Hilfe beim Programmieren in C/C++, WDL oder Brainfuck braucht, meldet euch bei mir in ICQ: 281565653.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de