Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,382 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lines between WED created Blocks #82418
07/21/06 02:29
07/21/06 02:29
S
squall2seifer Offline OP
Warez User
squall2seifer  Offline OP
Warez User
S

Hi does anyone have an idea to how to remove the lines between the blocks created in WED. After i applied texture and build, there were lines between the blocks. However, the default texture was seamless and did not have lines between each block. Anyone who had the same problem please help me out. Thank You.

Below is a link to the image of a cut up of the Scene

picture

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: squall2seifer] #82419
07/21/06 02:58
07/21/06 02:58
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Run through this checklist, from most likely to least likely scenario:

1. Try tiling your texture in the graphics program. If it tiles properly in there, continue on. If not, fix this.
2. Make sure you don't break up larger blocks into several pieces as this could cause this. If the blocks aren't broken up, continue on. If not, make some test block off the side somewhere so that the texture can tile properly to see if this is the cause.
3. Check to make sure there's no ent_created entity there or something like that or that you don't have blocks or other objects intersecting each other.

Beyond here, I'd need more details. What version and edition do you have?

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: ulillillia] #82420
07/21/06 06:49
07/21/06 06:49
S
squall2seifer Offline OP
Warez User
Warez User
S

1. Try tiling your texture in the graphics program. If it tiles properly in there, continue on. If not, fix this.

The way i did my texture is to make a huge texture and cut them up into pieces to map them to the terrain. Therefore, they are all not tileable.

2. Make sure you don't break up larger blocks into several pieces as this could cause this. If the blocks aren't broken up, continue on. If not, make some test block off the side somewhere so that the texture can tile properly to see if this is the cause.

The blocks i used are the default medium blocks in 3D Game Studio that were not manipulated before. I build my scene using X number by Y number of medium blocks and textured them using 128 by 128 pixels texture cut up from a complete piece. Hence, the textures that i use do not tile but join to each other. However, the lines that seperates the tiles is too prominant.

3. Check to make sure there's no ent_created entity there or something like that or that you don't have blocks or other objects intersecting each other.

I never had a "ent_created entity " prompt message and all my blocks in the scene do not intersect with each other.

Beyond here, I'd need more details. What version and edition do you have?

Currently i am using 6.20.2 that is using the V6 Engine.

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: squall2seifer] #82421
07/21/06 07:33
07/21/06 07:33
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
For the first case, you need to have a single texture in that case. If the texture is too large, then there are other tricks that I know of, rather simple ones, that allow for getting rid of the seam, but it would take modifications of your textures and it may not work (I haven't tested it yet).

For the second case, you can resize blocks to use a larger texture. Either that, or use a model instead as model-only levels have tons of major advantages than levels made from blocks.

For the third case, what I'm referring to is using the ent_create command in your script. If you ent_create entities that use this position where the gap is, odd things can happen.

What edition do you have? 6.20.2 is an old version. I suggest updating it to the latest version, 6.40.5. It's a free update. Although this will unlikely fix the tiling issue, it can help to some extent.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: ulillillia] #82422
07/21/06 13:58
07/21/06 13:58
S
squall2seifer Offline OP
Warez User
Warez User
S

For the first case, you need to have a single texture in that case. If the texture is too large, then there are other tricks that I know of, rather simple ones, that allow for getting rid of the seam, but it would take modifications of your textures and it may not work (I haven't tested it yet).

My version of 3D Game Studio only allow a maximun texture size of 256 by 256. If you exceed that it will crop off the rest and tile the first 256 by 256. I am not sure why but i guess it is used for saving memory purposes. Therefore I cannot use a single texture.

For the second case, you can resize blocks to use a larger texture. Either that, or use a model instead as model-only levels have tons of major advantages than levels made from blocks.

As memtioned, since large texture wont work, i proposed another solution; that is to use small blocks for large texture. An example would be using four 64 by 64 blocks for a 256 by 256 texture. This way the lines will not be solved but greatly reduced by at least 4 times. However, the downside is that everything will go pixilated during closeup, which will affect gameplay experience. Do you think this solution is good or there might be better ones?

For the third case, what I'm referring to is using the ent_create command in your script. If you ent_create entities that use this position where the gap is, odd things can happen.

I am not the programmer of the game, hence i am not sure if the programmer used the ent_create command. However, i am very sure that this is unlikely the cause because it is present during runtime in WED without script attached.

What edition do you have? 6.20.2 is an old version. I suggest updating it to the latest version, 6.40.5. It's a free update. Although this will unlikely fix the tiling issue, it can help to some extent.

I am using the 6.20.2 Professional Edition but i cannot update because i do not have the password.

Lastly, thanks alot for the help and concern ulillillia.

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: squall2seifer] #82423
07/21/06 14:05
07/21/06 14:05
Wisc
T
thefanatik Offline
thefanatik  Offline
T

Wisc
When you cut it up, did you have anti-aliasing on, or a feather? Try reconstructing it in a image editing program, and see if it is still there.

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: thefanatik] #82424
07/21/06 14:28
07/21/06 14:28
S
squall2seifer Offline OP
Warez User
Warez User
S

When i cut the images in Photoshop, the Feather is 0 px and because i am using Retangular Marquee Tool, the antialiasing is greyed out. Therefore i conclude they are both not used when i cut the images.

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: squall2seifer] #82425
07/21/06 15:12
07/21/06 15:12
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I am using the 6.20.2 Professional Edition but i cannot update because i do not have the password.

LMAO, This cracks me up ... So you are a warez user then, come back when you have a legal copy of 3dgs .....

I should also add that the warez version is full of bugs and limitations, especially compared to the latest legal version of A6 pro.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: PHeMoX] #82426
07/21/06 15:52
07/21/06 15:52
S
squall2seifer Offline OP
Warez User
Warez User
S

Yes the one i am using is a warez version but i am using it only for educational purposes. I felt there is nothing wrong with it. I am also aware that 6.20.2 is full of limitations and bugs and i will workabout and overcome them.

Re: Lines between WED created Blocks [Re: squall2seifer] #82427
07/23/06 20:24
07/23/06 20:24
Wisc
T
thefanatik Offline
thefanatik  Offline
T

Wisc
Guess what. Warez is warez, no matter how you rationalize it, and is not allowed on this forum. Just because you are supposedly using it for educational purposes doesn't make it right. I would also like to know what you mean by educational purposes? I'm guessing you mean that you are using stolen software for fun? If you want to use 3D Gamestudio, buy the standard edition. It's only about $50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de