Quote:

So only 32 pixel are representing one meter. In this case I could never display any buttons, screens, signs or whatever with such a low resolution.

It depends.

Indeed, WED assigns textures as 1:1 texel on the surfaces (1 square quant is equal to one sqare pixel), but can also scale your textures in WED (do it once for the whole WAD / folder) and you are done).

I disagree here when it comes to models, because it all depends on the texture resolution you choose for your skin and it depends also on the UV mapping.

Quants are a very relative thing. I originally intended to open this thread to get a default value for my 3D routines in my FMOD wrapper dll, but I came to the conclusion that the quant measurement is very relative to what type of game you are doing. If the game features very large scenes and doesn't support threadmill loading (like in Oblivion), 32 quants would be my choice. For smaller areas/scenes, a larger quants scale is maybe necessary and better than a small quants measurement.

So I decided to take 128 quants as default value and if you like to change it - do it. Quants are a fictional measure and you cannot really argue that 32 quants are a too low measurement (though, I would say that it is at the edge of the lowest measurement degree. Maybe 16 quants for space simulations could be possible as well).

Last edited by HeelX; 08/20/07 17:10.