Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: laethyn] #109039
01/28/07 18:49
01/28/07 18:49
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

As I already said. I will not change anything. GIMP works perfectly with all my applications (Gamestudio, Lightwave, Bodypaint, ZBrush). My test files of Photoshop did not.

Besides that PS is expensive. Even the price suggested by Phemox (800 $) is not a good price. Most users in this forum do not have that money. If they had they would haver better GS editions and could finish games faster while buying quality artworks.

So there is no need to discuss it and to defend PS

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Machinery_Frank] #109040
01/28/07 18:58
01/28/07 18:58
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

gimp doesn't even support cmyk (which is only needed for print) properly so i doubt it's the default.

some versions of photoshop had bugs in the export plugins. for example photoshop7 had a buggy tga plugin. at the adobe website it was possible to download a fix.

i also find photoshop too expensive. especially in europe where it did cost more than 1200€ last time i checked. the older oem versions you can find on ebay are a bit dubious.

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Machinery_Frank] #109041
01/28/07 19:10
01/28/07 19:10
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
I hope my post didn't come across as an attack, because you seem very defensive. I also hope you're not insinuating that I am a warez user..

I tried GIMP quite some time ago and don't remember all the details, so my post was based on the assumption that Phemox was right about CMYK being the default. Anyway, I've never had any problems whatsoever with ps.

As to paint.net (because that's what we where talking about), I looked at it some time ago, and thought it had a pretty good interface (better than GIMP (<-- that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to "convert" you!), but lacked quite some important features. It has probably improved, but I'm not going to change tools anymore.

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Excessus] #109042
01/28/07 19:17
01/28/07 19:17
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

actually i quite dislike the guis of all of them. photoshop, gimp, paint.net,... i would prefer to have photoshop's functionality in a modo/maya/blender-like gui. the guis of most 3d applications somehow seem to be much more streamlined for hardcore users.

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: ventilator] #109043
01/28/07 19:22
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
"Hardcore" users (I don't consider myself one), usualy don't need a GUI.

If you've ever seen a professional at work, you'll notice he's just hacking away at the keyboard, while staring at the screen and drawing on his tablet.

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Excessus] #109044
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Hey, Excessus. I don't think that you attacked me. I admire your great shader tutorial. I appreciate your comments.

And there is no need to convert me. I made the texture packs behind the sci-fi texture offer from Dexsoft. Here comes a picture that is made with the help of it. Soon you will see a complete game made with those textures.

They are all hand painted (and improved with a few filters) in GIMP:

I tried something like that in PS and it took me much more time and it even lacked some tools that I needed. So I am the last one who is willing to change.

Besides that the interface discussion about GIMP is old and often misleading since you can change the interface very easily with dragging tools from one window into another. You can hide and show them. You can make it very similar to every GUI that you need. Yes, the default installation GUI is a bit messy but that can be changed.

The only weakness with GIMP is natural painting and I recommend Corel Painter or ProjectDogwaffle for that. Both are less expensive compared with PS and better natural painting tools

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Machinery_Frank] #109045
01/28/07 20:41
01/28/07 20:41
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
First of all, GIMP is a great piece of software and, as has been pointed out, you can't beat the price.

However, there are a few things being said that are incorrect and should be sorted out.

Quote:

I will not buy this software for 2000 $

Photoshop CS2 does not cost $2000. Its $649 for the full version (before any discounts) and $169 for the upgrade. And that is if you buy directly from Adobe instead of going to an authorized reseller. I am not trying to convince you to purchase Photoshop, but I certainly don't want you spreading mis-information by jacking up the price by 3 times the amount either.

Quote:

Thanks Phemox. So I was right it was a problem with the color palette. Good to know.

No. It is NOT a palette problem at all. TGA does not have a palette at all. But there are vast differences between CYMK and RBG. If you bring in an RGB image (no matter what file format: TGA, BMP, etc) to a CYMK environment then there will be color shifting as the software tries to translate each color from RGB values to CYMK values. The same is true for bringing a CYMK image into an RGB environment.

In any case, if you need to work in CYMK values within Photoshop this can easily be done. Images saved as CYMK (instead of RGB) will open properly in other applications with a CYMK environment enabled.

Quote:

some versions of photoshop had bugs in the export plugins. some versions of photoshop had bugs in the export plugins. for example photoshop7 had a buggy tga plugin. at the adobe website it was possible to download a fix.

The old TGA export bug did not affect the "colors" of the TGA file. The bug you reference was about TGAs being saved without their alpha channel. Therefore, if you saved a 32-bit TGA file in PS7 without the update installed then it saved exactly like a 24-bit TGA file (no alpha channel).

Quote:

I made the texture packs behind the sci-fi texture offer from Dexsoft.

Nice textures. However, they could have been made in any paint program including GIMP, Dogwaffle, Photoshop, Corel Paint and a ton of other paint applications ranging from free to those you have to pay for.

Quote:

I recommend Corel Painter or ProjectDogwaffle for that.

Cheaper than both and very full featured (for the price): Artrage (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html). Download that and give it a try. Simply a wonderful piece of software for very little money.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Dan Silverman] #109046
01/29/07 08:46
01/29/07 08:46
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Thanks Dan.

Unfortunately the PS price you mentioned is not available for me. I have to get it for 1,069.81 Euro (that is around 1,300 $). Much more than the mentioned 800 $.

The Adobe page re-directs me instantly to local re-sellers as you can see here:
https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/i...d=FULL&NR=0

I don't think that I could have made these textures in all those mentioned packages. As an example I need a plug-in for creating normal maps from height maps. GIMP and PS supports such a tool. PD or Painter probably not. But I am not 100 percent sure about that.

I thank you very much for the explanations and the hint towards Artrage. I will check this software thoroughly.

Frank

Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: xXxGuitar511] #109047
01/29/07 08:59
01/29/07 08:59
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

Quote:

My dad can beat up your dad.

LMFAO...

Oh god.....

thank you, I needed a good 'ol laugh

But since were on the topic, I use GIMP. However, GIMP is lacking several features that others like PS have. Plus it's free.... and I like free.

You're welcome. Some of these back and forths remind me of playground shenanigans.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Paint.NET 3.0 almost ready [Re: Dan Silverman] #109048
01/29/07 09:56
01/29/07 09:56
the Netherlands
Frits Offline
User
Frits  Offline
User

the Netherlands
Thanks Dan for pointing out to Artrage. Now thats indeed a verry nice piece of software and verry cheap.
I have just bought the full version for only €19,24

I like to keep scripting simple, life is hard enough as it is.
Regards,
Frits
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de