Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Akow, 1 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Bible apologetics #117350
03/14/07 10:30
03/14/07 10:30
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
When reading the bible, we're finding a set of stories by more than a hundred different authors that were written over a time of more than 1000 years. As can be naturally expected from a collection of this size, the stories contain thousands of historical and logical mistakes and self-contradictions.

Bible apologetics is a challenging game with the goal to a) re-interpret the text in a way that the mistakes and contradictions between the stories disappear, and b) interpret a literal meaning into the text (regardless of how it was really meant). However the attempts at bible apologetics on the internet only cover a small part of the bible mistakes. Even in the very first parts of the bible, Genesis 1 and 2, most of the blunders were not yet addressed by apologists or at least I haven't found them online.

I'm interested in a complete apologetics of Genesis 1 and 2. For instance, at the very beginning of the bible we can read:

"So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it." (in the Hebrew original it's not "expanse" but "vault" as in architecture).

This passage was written in 500 BC in the Babylonian exile, and obviously refers to the Babylonian creation myth where the God Marduk did the same thing (creating a vault and separating the waters below from the waters above). The Babylonians assumed that there must be water above the sky because of it's blue color, and because sometimes it falls down. The vault is needed to keep it up.

So the sentence is true in its historical context. However, today astronomy claims that there is no vault and there is no water above the sky. Astronomy even claims that the earth is a sphere, so there is not even a "below" and "above". So when taken literally, either astronomy is wrong or almost everything in this sentence is wrong today... or am I wrong here? Apologists, to the rescue!

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117351
03/14/07 12:38
03/14/07 12:38
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Note that I really dont apologize for anything written in the Bible, so I dont indulge in 'apologetics'.

Quote:

And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

The firmament is the lower atmosphere. In the creation story God brought water up above to the clouds where the clouds hold the water. Thus he seperated the waters from the waters.

Quote:

Astronomy even claims that the earth is a sphere, so there is not even a "below" and "above

In that case there is no 'below' or 'above' anywhere because all space throughout the universe is relative. I dont think too much about it though or else I would have trouble walking up the stairs. ...is the universe falling down or up?

Quote:

This passage was written in 500 BC in the Babylonian exile

Perhaps a copy, but the original story was passed down verbaly untill Moses finally documented it(mark 12:26,luke 24:27, John 1:45, Romans 10:5,2 Cor 3:15)There is no reason to doubt the Bible tradition untill there is evidence to the contrary.

Quote:

Babylonian creation myth where the God Marduk did the same thing (creating a vault and separating the waters below from the waters above).

A lot of these stories are similar because they actually happened, rather than one civilization copying from another.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117352
03/14/07 12:46
03/14/07 12:46
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
I find it ironic that when religion flaming begins, its always christianity in the spotlight. Why in movies do they keep on say "Jesus Christ", or "for Christs sake"? They will never say "for buddhas sake", or "for the love of allah."

It seems as if satan continuously attacks christians. Why is this? Why does he leave the other religions alone? Well, maybe it is the fact that they are on their way to hell, and he wouldnt risk allowing them to see the truth. Think about this. Satan will never let an athiest experience supernatural stuff. That will mean that there is a spiritual realm. I hope everyone will realize this! There is a saying: the biggest trick the devil pulled was making people believe he doesnt exist. Dear athiest, dont fool yourself. Satan has you exactly where he wants you. If you search for the truth you will find it. I hope that God will open your eyes before its too late.

Matthew 7

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117353
03/14/07 12:50
03/14/07 12:50
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

"So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it." (in the Hebrew original it's not "expanse" but "vault" as in architecture).

--One more point here ,I used Strongs Concordance , the Hebrew word used here for firmament is raqiya, pronounced raw-kee-yah, it does indeed mean 'expanse' or more literally 'the visible arch of the sky'

I think your source might be interpreting an arch to exclusively be used in architecture.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: NITRO777] #117354
03/14/07 13:57
03/14/07 13:57
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Thanks for the explanation!

However, it is not yet fully satisfying. Your concordance translates "raqiya" with:

Quote:

1) extended surface (solid), expanse, firmament
a) expanse (flat as base, support)
b) firmament (of vault of heaven supporting waters above)
1) considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

which is obviously its usual meaning taken from the bible; so the concordance sounds a little like circular reasoning. More interesting would be the meaning of that word outside the bible.

Anyway: I don't fully understand your explanation "God brought water up above to the clouds where the clouds hold the water". I suppose you mean that God evaporated water into clouds. But this is hardly a creation act, nor is it written in the bible. It even contradicts it: the Hebrews certainly knew that clouds are below the sky, not above it; whatever "raqiya" means, all meanings in your concordance agree that it is solid and supporting, so it's not air or clouds; and if it were the "lower atmosphere", then where is the water above it, and why has God made only the lower and not the upper atmosphere?

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: capanno] #117355
03/14/07 15:02
03/14/07 15:02
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I find it ironic that when religion flaming begins, its always christianity in the spotlight. Why in movies do they keep on say "Jesus Christ", or "for Christs sake"? They will never say "for buddhas sake", or "for the love of allah."

Basically because they are western movies. Asian and middle-eastern people will curse in a dramatically different way, it's a pure difference of culture. They won't say '[censored]' as a swearword either, they will get very mad though if you say that someone's mother is ugly.

Quote:

Dear athiest, dont fool yourself. Satan has you exactly where he wants you. If you search for the truth you will find it. I hope that God will open your eyes before its too late.

Aah, there's the good 'ol 'better believe or burn in hell'-argument. Well to be honest with you, I'd rather burn in hell for something I have reason to believe in, than believe in something for which there is really no evidence whatsoever and maybe go to heaven. I think it's completely reasonable to demand at least a fair bit of evidence and allknowing as he supposedly is, he would understand this too. Arrogant point of view? Perhaps, but at least it's more reasonable than having blind faith in lies for all we know,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117356
03/14/07 15:32
03/14/07 15:32
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

I suppose you mean that God evaporated water into clouds

Yes thats what I mean.

Quote:

But this is hardly a creation act,

It would not need to be a creation act, because water was already created, it was an act of dividing or seperating. Not everything God did at that period had to be creative.

Quote:

nor is it written in the bible

Because the Bible is not a scientific manual. However, I believe that it does align itself with science.

Quote:

However, it is not yet fully satisfying. Your concordance translates "raqiya" with:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) extended surface (solid), expanse, firmament
a) expanse (flat as base, support)
b) firmament (of vault of heaven supporting waters above)
1) considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which is obviously its usual meaning taken from the bible; so the concordance sounds a little like circular reasoning. More interesting would be the meaning of that word outside the bible.

The word is definitely NOT referring to a solid formed vault or peice of architecture. The word firmament, as I previously defined it means an "expanse" and that is all. A little more contextual reading reveals this. Notice in the below verse that God put birds in the 'open firmament'. The last time I checked, birds cannot fly through solid vaults The word 'firmament' below is the same exact Hebrew word.

Quote:

Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: NITRO777] #117357
03/14/07 16:25
03/14/07 16:25
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
'Firmament' stems from the Latin word 'firmamentum' and is derived from 'firmus', solid. This confirms your concordance, so I don't know where you got the idea from that the bible's sky is not solid. Also last time I checked, birds had no problems to fly in vaults, although bats are more likely to do that.

And what about the other objections - where is the water above the firmament, and why do you assume that God created only half an atmosphere?

- You're certainly right that the bible is no scientific manual. This is just the reason for the difficulties you're already getting in the attempt to bend that single sentence so that it can be taken literally. And there are many, many more such sentences in Genesis and the rest of the bible that you'd have to distort even worse. How about "He separated the light from the darkness and called the light day and the darkness night"? How would you literally explain that?

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117358
03/14/07 17:25
03/14/07 17:25
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

How about "He separated the light from the darkness and called the light day and the darkness night"? How would you literally explain that?

explain what? That HE seperated light from darkness, or that He named the light and darkness? Are you referring to the fact that the sun and moon might have been created after light was created? Or what?

edit--BTW.
Quote:

'Firmament' stems from the Latin word 'firmamentum' and is derived from 'firmus', solid.

The Latin etymology would be a pointless diversion in finding the meaning of the word. 'firmament' itself is only the word chosen by king james interpreters for the Hebrew word 'raqiya'. The Latin etymology and the derivation therof would have absolutely nothing to do with its Hebrew counterpart.

I think that the term 'firmament' is very similar to 'firm' in English and it is not uncommon for first time Bible readers to get confused. The first time I read it as a child I thought that perhaps the firmament was a land mass or something. So I can understand why you might initially believe that it is referring to a solid.

Last edited by NITRO777; 03/14/07 17:53.
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: jcl] #117359
03/14/07 17:58
03/14/07 17:58
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

And what about the other objections - where is the water above the firmament, and why do you assume that God created only half an atmosphere?

No I didnt assume that, anything beyond the firmament is irrelevant to this discussion therefore I am only focusing on the firmament and the 'waters above the firmament'. I didnt see the relevance...maybe you can tell me how the upper atmosphere is relevant to your point? ...oh well, I tried to explain my side the best I could.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite