by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, TipmyPip), 844 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11955
02/26/03 17:09
02/26/03 17:09
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
The thread by MASSIE was closed because MASSIE was using a warezed version of 3D GameStudio. 3D Zach does not appear to be (yet), but only saying he knows how to make an edition "pro" by adding a DLL. Obviously there is uncertainty as to whether this means you can "crack" the standard edition to make it a pro edition or whether one can add "pro" features to the standard edition via linking to DLLs. I would suspect 3D Zach was talking about "cracking", but this is not 100% certain.

This thread also had some productive information in it. People can learn about what is legal and not concerning enhancing 3D GameStudio.

Since 3D Zach does not seem to be "offering" the DLL and since there is not clear evidence that he has a warezed version of 3D GameStudio, then why close the thread?

Just my reasoning. If I am wrong, then one of the other moderators can shut this thread down. BTW - If we all stop posting here, it will soon go away any way [Smile] .

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11956
02/27/03 08:02
02/27/03 08:02

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

oh ok then...

I didn't realise this still had some value in it.

thanks for clearing that up.

Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11957
03/03/03 03:56
03/03/03 03:56
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
anonymous_alcoho  Offline
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
from Doug
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Paul L. Ming:
Or are you saying that writing a DLL that 'taps into' the code already in A5
Commercial to allow me access to "Mirrors" and "Beams" is illigal? ...

That is what I'm saying.

Would it be illegal if someone made a beam or mirror dll w/o hacking or tapping into A5 code?

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11958
03/04/03 13:00
03/04/03 13:00

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hiya.

quote:
Would it be illegal if someone made a beam or mirror dll w/o hacking or tapping into A5 code?
What Doug was saying was just what he said. That writing a .dll that "hacks into" the A5 engine, and then proceeds to call/use functions for mirror, beams, etc. from that...*is* illegal. As it should be.

But, if you write a custom .dll that gives you a "mirror surface", you're good to go. As long as you write it all yourself, and it doesn't call anything "hidden" in the engine that you aren't entitled to use via the version of software that you bought.

That's my understanding of it.

Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11959
03/06/03 04:42
03/06/03 04:42
Toronto
MadMark Offline
User
MadMark  Offline
User

Toronto
Word of caution: Be VERY careful if you are a "warez" user. If you download a DLL that modifies an application or alters your registry, or a complete program from a file sharing application, you may have just compromised your computer's security.

"Big deal" a lot of young folks might say. "Nothin' on my computer that anyone wants". Don't bet on it.

Your computer is a powerful launching pad for internet attacks, so-called cyber-terrorism, (which you may be responsible or liable for) and if connected to a network, puts all other systems at risk. Share a cable connection with your folks? Oh, nice. So they buy software for you at Christmas with a credit card over the web? Interesting. And dad files his taxes online? Hmmm...

Not to mention that someone can spy on you, listen in if you have a mic, and change information in your files.

Bottom line: Know where your software is coming from, and take precautions to secure yourself. No one is going to give you ANYTHING for free without some sort of reason, good, bad, or ugly.

Mark's 2¢...

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11960
03/06/03 05:16
03/06/03 05:16

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

folk em!

This is A GREAT PROGRAM!!! I love Gamestudio,conitec is gracious enough to let us publish our titles royalty free! I FEEL BLESSED PAYING FOR THE DEVELOPMENT KIT! if ANYONE sendS me his address, I'll gladly go to his house and make him cough up the $! as a legitimate software developer I understand Conitec, and he should understand that we work hard to produce stuff... and we too NEED TO EAT!!!
if you don't want to pay for my stuff or anyone elses, then at least let us crash at your house, and eat your food.

Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11961
03/06/03 23:36
03/06/03 23:36
Toronto
MadMark Offline
User
MadMark  Offline
User

Toronto
LOL. LethalStrike - I agree it's a cool product and don't condone "warez". In fact, what I am suggesting is that warez-users have more to fear than the warez-bunny.

I'm saying that software downloaded illegally and from unknown sources is a dangerous undertaking for several reasons beyond shunning from the community, and possible action from the company. I know of several software packages that friends have downloaded from Kazaa, Morpheus or other P2P networks that were full working copies, with an added feature. They were trojanized with the Back Orifice remote control trojan...

If I had a job, my profile would read "Pro Version". Until then, I remain one of those cheap-skate guys that has to format every 30 days and restore data from backup...

Question; I bought the Game Programmer's Starter Kit (version 2 and 4 I think) that included GS3D ages ago. Does that mean that I am a licensed user of at least the standard version? Of course, I lost the damn things in a move, but just curious...

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11962
03/11/03 11:11
03/11/03 11:11
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Hmmm...I really am not a fan of warez software, especially when it is a good product such as this one, and has a fair license.
Personally, I did the 30-Day trial, and this engine really grabbed my eye, so I spent the next 4 months convincing my parents to order it for me on the terms that I pay them back as I can. I won my parents over, and I got the standard edition (Love 5.51 and can't wait until I can buy version 6 [Razz] ) and I would never, never dream of doing anything to try to tap into the softwares disabled features. After all you get what you pay for, and, even if the Standard Edition isn't as powerful as the professional version, you can still come up with a solid product, and enter it into the contest to try to win a better version, so basically you earn it and you get experience with the engine so that you can actually make use of the new features in an intelligent manner, for example... you are learning to drive, you are definitely not going to hop behing the Mclaren F1 and go for a spin on the autobahn (Did I spell that right?)... that would be a recipe for disaster!!!!!!

Anyways, that was a bit off topic, so I'll get back in topic and give 3D Zach a word of advice. Earn the money, buy the standard edition, use the features that you got and come up with something good, something you are proud of. I know for me, creating something using stuff that I don't have the right to, well that is wrong morally, and legally. That and it does not bring the feeling of self-satisfaction of creating something you are proud of because you had to cheat someone to get what you created.

Conitec has to sell the versions as they are (They are very fair-minded in the licenseing) in order to keep adding to the engine to make it better, so if you come up with dll's to "hack" the engine, you are not just hurting the company, you are hurting us, the ones who have paid for what they got and who are trying to earn their way to a better version.

Ayrus

P.S. Sorry about the rant, but well, what 3D Zach is suggesting is just so wrong and it really annoys me.

suprised my account is still active....
Re: I found something really cool out!!! #11963
03/21/03 04:42
03/21/03 04:42

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Lil kids get excited off DLLs. Only 2 years ago when I myself was 11, I thought you gould make a cool 3d game by importing a DirectX dll into the DIV Games Stuio (that's the 8-bit DOS 2d engine). Maybe he just thinks he can do this sort of stuff.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de