Quote:

I am just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to make 24 bit (or 32 bit)heightmaps.. that is using the rgb channels for the heightdata instead of just a greyscale heightmap..

I have had some success using various software like World Machine, Terragen, etc.. but its diffcult to get a very smooth gradients even from here..

That's easy, using Photoshop or any other software supporting layers where you can see the channels, just open the channels tab, select all and copy the red channel, the blue channel and the green channel into a new image. Don't copy the RGB channel, you don't need colors. Next step is arrange the layers in such a way that the darkest grayscale image is the bottom one and the lightest is on top. Now adjust the transparency of the two top layers in the way you like and you're done.

Ow before I forget, if you copy the channel layers into a new image you have to open a new document and make sure it's RGB, otherwise Photoshop automatically preselects greyscale and thus 8bit.

Well, at least this is how I do it all the time,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software