Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by Zheka. 06/20/24 14:26
Lapsa's very own thread
by rki. 06/19/24 11:27
A simple game ...
by VoroneTZ. 06/18/24 10:50
Face player all the time ...
by bbn1982. 06/18/24 10:25
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 678 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
What are we really? #134977
06/09/07 15:40
06/09/07 15:40
ExtraCortex Offline OP
ExtraCortex  Offline OP

Phisically we are a genetic piece of material, atoms, electrons, and soo on..

Inside our master organ (the brain) we have our personality, our inteligence,... But, behind the brain is our "spirit". (i dont believe that we are only a body)

What makes our body to connect to the spirit? How do we give orders to our brain? in wich part of our body is our soul?

What is our soul?

Re: What are we really? [Re: ExtraCortex] #134978
06/09/07 18:53
06/09/07 18:53
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
no such thing as a spirit/soul

simply your brain. And when you die, there will be nothing more...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: What are we really? [Re: xXxGuitar511] #134979
06/09/07 19:51
06/09/07 19:51
S
Shadow969 Offline
User
Shadow969  Offline
User
S

I don't think so. Believing that all your emotions, thoughts, ideas and stuff are produced by your brain is like believing that car is controlled by the engine, or PC is controlled by CPU...of course engine and CPU are most important parts of car and PC, but there's a human that takes a REAL control... So in my opinion our brain is like an "engine", and soul is like a "human", controlling our body. Anyways, that is only my opinion

Re: What are we really? [Re: Shadow969] #134980
06/09/07 21:27
06/09/07 21:27
Cologne
padrino Offline
User
padrino  Offline
User

Cologne
Quote:

I don't think so. Believing that all your emotions, thoughts, ideas and stuff are produced by your brain is like believing that car is controlled by the engine, or PC is controlled by CPU...of course engine and CPU are most important parts of car and PC, but there's a human that takes a REAL control... So in my opinion our brain is like an "engine", and soul is like a "human", controlling our body. Anyways, that is only my opinion

i really like your argumentation!
i have to agree with you.

Re: What are we really? [Re: Shadow969] #134981
06/09/07 21:34
06/09/07 21:34
ExtraCortex Offline OP
ExtraCortex  Offline OP

I once tried to remeber where was i before borning.
You'll think i'm mad, but the 1st pictures that came to my mind where a infinite number of spheres with many colors in a black empty space. Each sphere produce light according to his color.

I have sometimes that sleep paralisation, where we wake up, but cant move, i could only open my eyes, and then i tried to move (this was very scary), then everything came dark, very deeply dark, and i felt like flying, and i start seeing lots of tiny dots in the air, this dots were like what my eyes could see, i saw my room, it was like a movie with blur and noise, i could see color but i couldnt make the distinction of each one, then i look down and see myself (my body).
Then i cant remember nothing more than darkness and some time after that i woke up.

What the f*ck was that? Dunno, but i know a lot of people that have that crazy experience, and that tunnel with that orange light at the end.
What the f*ck is out there? It looks amazing, i wish i could see it and come back to tell and to understand as human what the hell is on the other side.. is it, the REAL world?

Edit: the spheres were something like this:

But with vivid colors like this with the black background:

They make me remember atoms or galaxies.. dunno...

Last edited by ExtraCortex; 06/09/07 21:42.
Re: What are we really? [Re: xXxGuitar511] #134982
06/09/07 21:35
06/09/07 21:35
ExtraCortex Offline OP
ExtraCortex  Offline OP

Quote:

no such thing as a spirit/soul

simply your brain. And when you die, there will be nothing more...

So if you think that you are only a piece of material, that after death is lost forever, why do you keep living if you dont have nothing to win with this?

Hard question inst it?

Re: What are we really? [Re: ExtraCortex] #134983
06/09/07 23:53
06/09/07 23:53
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
i believe there's a spirit as well... a soul that is restricted and in part controlled by the human brain that it experiences everything through. it explains this whole... "self-awareness" type thing... it's difficult to describe but it's the kind of thing where there's the... thing... that experiences everything that your body and mind experience.

it's weird... and i'm absolutely terrible at explaining it and i'm using WAY too many (...)'s. even if someone doesn't believe in souls, i'm sure they can use the word "soul" in a non-religious/spiritual way to refer to the awareness apart from your body, where you might even wonder why you're this particular person and not someone else. at what point in the creation of artificial intelligence does this "soul" emerge? surely it is something separate to our actual physical self.

i'm sure ExtraCortex, Padrino and Shadow know what i'm talking about

like Shadow, the "human" behind the "engine".

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: What are we really? [Re: ExtraCortex] #134984
06/10/07 00:54
06/10/07 00:54
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I don't believe in a soul/spirit, fully agree on xxguitar here.

Well, please correct me if I'm wrong on this one, I'm not a physicist, but this is my view on it:

There are two different particles in space as far as I'm aware: matter and energy. A spirit would theoretically only consist of energy. But something needs to hold the energy together and normally this would be the job of the matter. Since a spirit does not consist out of matter there isn't a way to keep the energy in one place, thus a spirit can't exist.

Quote:

Believing that all your emotions, thoughts, ideas and stuff are produced by your brain is like believing that car is controlled by the engine.

It's a good argument. Had to think about that for a moment . However if you think this way, you'll end up in a vicious circle. I mean, the guy controlling the brain (the spirit) needs to have a human/thing/spirit as well to be controlled, and so does this human//thing/spirit, and the following, and the following etc. etc. If it wasn't a vicious circle, so the spirit is the only and ultimate thing there is to steer the brain, then why shouldn't the brain be able control itself? If the spirit can do so, then aparantly it's physicaly possible, thus the brain should be able to do it as well. Comeing to this conclussion it's not reasonable to assume that there is a spirit. We have never clearly seen, witnessed and measured one, then why assume there is one?

That aside, is it really that hard to think that a bunch of atoms and electrons being aware of itself is not impossible? Sure it's hard to understand but to me, a spirit or soul is even more weird to understand. Seems like people are just shifting the things that seem hard to understand to something they don't understand at all

Quote:

So if you think that you are only a piece of material, that after death is lost forever, why do you keep living if you dont have nothing to win with this?

But maybe it's not about you or me and the material we consist of.

It's pretty funny to think about this:
It took a while before evolution reached the point of being aware of itself (i'm speaking about us now). We, as a bunch of atoms and electrons, have just started to alter our own genes to improve ourselves in the future. So actually, life started to change itself to evolve. Whereas a while ago (from the beginning of life till around a decade ago) life's evolution was dependend from coincidence factors out of the environment. This way was a slow process of growing/evolving as everything happened coincidentily. But since this coincidence evolution now has ended, and an artificial evolution has been started, evolution will be a lot faster.

Now the point is not you or me as an individual. I don't think there's an explicit individual purpose for everyone. But I do think that it's a natural behaviour of life itself (meaning all living things) to grow, improve, evolve and alter theirself and their environment to stay alive. I don't know why, but that's obviously the purpose if you look around. You can see it everywhere on smaller scales in nature. There is no awareness needed of the lifeform either to try to reach this purpose. If you take a look at the behaviour of a virus, it will try to take over a living being to benefit itself. The virus tries to reach life's main purpose this way; 'survival', or maybe 'perfection' is a better description. The virus in this example is motivated to achieve the purpose because it's beneficial for itself but at the same time it participates in the big picture of life trying to reach 'perfection'.

The reason why we try to achieve this particular purpose has yet to be discovered and, so I think, to find the reason, we'll have to dig very deep into our origins: the tiny particles inside atoms, quarks, muons, luv's and further in. We might see the same 'behaviour' of those particles like we have seen in nature on smaller scales (like the virus). I can't explain this theory properly, but if you have seen the Star Trek Voyager episode "The Omega Directive" with the omega particles, you probably get the idea.
It's still fiction, not (yet) real, but nevertheless the idea is kinda neat.
Some information: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Omega_molecule

I guess we shouldn't whine that much about artificially mutating and altering genes and stuff. Maybe rude to say but I think, in a way, we're ment to do that in order to reach 'perfection'. And not for ourself, but for whole mother life.

Just my thought

Last edited by Jostie; 06/10/07 01:01.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: What are we really? [Re: ExtraCortex] #134985
06/10/07 03:15
06/10/07 03:15
Z
zazang Offline
User
zazang  Offline
User
Z

Quote:

Hard question inst it?

well,but why do you want to live even if you have a soul ?...to do good things ?
Ultimately,you can always say that there is no use of anything at all.No use of
goodness,life,birth,cosmos...but one thing is very sure with every lifeform.They
all have a will to survive.So that adds some sense to living(for me atleast)
That said,I do believe in goodness

Re: What are we really? [Re: zazang] #134986
06/10/07 06:01
06/10/07 06:01
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
Quote:

Hard question inst it?

Unfortunatly, this brings up many comments. More than I want to post at 2am after an 8 hour shift at McD's...

- Lets start off with a major factor in my statements opinions. I - AM - EVIL. If there are souls, I don't have one. I eat the forbiden fruit and I drink from the glass of hatred.

- Next, What do you have to keep living with your "soul". Eternal life in "heaven" after death? lol...

- Are you saying I can accomplish NOTHING without a soul? What kind of BS is that?...

- Why do I live? To change the world. It doesn't have to be important, or even known by anyone but myself. I live for satisfaction. Whether it be saving a life, or taking one. Starting a business or stealing from one. Providing helpful code and software for others, or virus's instead. Affect...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite