Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, LorraineJones, VoroneTZ, Akow), 1,446 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: What are we really? [Re: PHeMoX] #135057
06/17/07 03:01
06/17/07 03:01
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
mmkay so ICEman's 2 cents..

What are we, ..really..

A body.. a soul.. and a brain. A body is the meat arrangement of proteins with which you manpulate and progate about earth. Your brain is the CPU what manages this hardware's functions and attachments.

Your soul is that which tonains your persona, your memories, your likeness, that which carries on, to be archived and wiped clean for the next life.

Mind you, this wipe isnt always perfect, ergo memories of past lives. I happen to know a soul is a real entity and that it lives on after you've physically died, carrying on your memoeries until you're reassigned.. I've seen mine.. I've died an incomplete death before, so I know it for myself (believe it or dont).

Some souls are never born, and thusly can't tell you anything about life, new souls get made, god only knows by what, some souls are recycled.. so that the circle of life can continue on and diversity can rule the progress of life on earth and everywhere else it exists on the universe.

The trick to understanding what we are is both not to overglorify it.by incorporating holiness into our existence beyond the fatc we're intelligent life with multiple layers.. and also not to dismiss the other planes of existence and reality because they are not universally detectable from this one.

Honestly.. you could probably fill volumes with what humans cannot generically or currently detect in just our physical universe. What's to say that souls arent real because we can't currently measure them.

So.. meat+soul+human DNA= man.

Arranged proteins(in our case, Meat)+soul+DNA= life.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: What are we really? [Re: ICEman] #135058
06/17/07 04:26
06/17/07 04:26
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Mind you, this wipe isnt always perfect, ergo memories of past lives. I happen to know a soul is a real entity and that it lives on after you've physically died, carrying on your memoeries until you're reassigned.. I've seen mine.. I've died an incomplete death before, so I know it for myself (believe it or dont).

What you probably experienced was merely what happens when body and brain functions shut down. No need to assume anything linked with a soul in my opinion... Sure, you might have seen the 'lights at the end of the tunnel' or another dreamy experience, that's solely a mix of a psychological reaction and what you're actually still barely getting through from and to your brain in signals. I once went knock-out, basically that's the same experience. Things slow-down, the lights go out and your mind makes up this dreamy experience. Next thing I know I'm awake again ...

Quote:

Honestly.. you could probably fill volumes with what humans cannot generically or currently detect in just our physical universe. What's to say that souls arent real because we can't currently measure them.

True, but then again that's about it. The things we currently do not detect, might not exist at all.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: What are we really? [Re: PHeMoX] #135059
06/17/07 04:44
06/17/07 04:44
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
they might and they might not.. but most people automatically assume tha because they arent detectable, they automatically dont exist, whereas its an exactly neutral possibility.

I was pointing out with the latter quote that we humans lose alot of knowledge to assumptions that though they have no real strong contradiction, have no basis of disproof.

and btw.. no.. I wasn't hallucinating. I was... quite dead.. for hours.. so says the doctors. They just opted not to give up on me. ( mustve been my health insurance xD)

It was.. no dream.. I listened to the doctors and watched em continue working to save my life... heard words I didnt understand till halfway through medical school.. etc.

I mainly say believe it or dont because people tend to think it was a hallucination.. everyone but the doctors anyway. (I went thru it with them, and they were pretty baffled as to how I could've witnessed them opening me up).

As to the bit about recycled souls.. well this is more stuff you wouldnt believe if I tried. But I happen to know them to be fact.

To those open, it'd make logical sense where science is currently too limited to substantiate it.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: What are we really? [Re: ICEman] #135060
06/17/07 06:57
06/17/07 06:57
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

they might and they might not.. but most people automatically assume tha because they arent detectable, they automatically dont exist, whereas its an exactly neutral possibility.

No, not a neutral one, a potential neutral one. In truth it comes down to that we don't know. However we could think of all kinds of things that *might exist* and end up being wrong about it 99.9% of the time. If it were exactly neutral it would have been different. I guess humans are too creative.

Quote:

I mainly say believe it or dont because people tend to think it was a hallucination.. everyone but the doctors anyway. (I went thru it with them, and they were pretty baffled as to how I could've witnessed them opening me up).

I actually believe you, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with supernatural or 'partly crossing' or whatever. I think the experience you had can best be described as hallucination, eventhough parts of it really must have happened.

There are people getting operated under hypnosis, not feeling a thing, hearing the whole conversation of the doctors operating them eventhough they are 'asleep' for the most part.

Perhaps your anesthesia didn't work properly, not enough? This happens all the time.

People in coma usually can hear a lot too, later remembering quite a lot of what was said. You can't exactly call them 'conscious' either.

Quote:

As to the bit about recycled souls.. well this is more stuff you wouldnt believe if I tried. But I happen to know them to be fact.

It's not that I don't believe on this point either honestly, but for us to believe something like that or consider it to be a fact, you 'd need to give 'proof' of some sort. For now we just have to go with your word, which is fine if it's based on your experiences, however it's not a scientific fact just yet...

Cheers

Re: What are we really? [Re: PHeMoX] #135061
06/18/07 12:48
06/18/07 12:48
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I recommend to read "Naked Ape" from Desmond Morris and you will realize that you all are not a super being. You are just an animal with a bigger brain (only double the amount of cells of some apes out there).

The humans are just too self-confident at the one hand and they are believers in super natural beings at the other hand. But at the end they are just part of this world, just a naked ape with a few more neurons in there brains.

If you all have a spirit then the dogs also have. Look into their eyes and you will even recognize it.
But this "spirit" is just a word for a natural thing.
You can discuss this to death but it will not change anything.
If you kill another being then you kill another spirit (more or less conscious).

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: What are we really? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #135062
06/18/07 14:56
06/18/07 14:56
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

from one's own perspective, you only know for sure that you exist and that you have a spirit. because other humans look like you and act a similar way, you assume that they feel like you and are conscious as well. but you don't know it. who says all your surrounding isn't made up by your brain/soul/consciousness? there's a nice philip k dick short story about a humanoid robot who discovers what he really is and that only he exists, and finally he decides to cut his data stream, becoming real in the very moment of his death, and making the others fade away ("the electric ant").

Re: What are we really? [Re: broozar] #135063
06/18/07 15:27
06/18/07 15:27
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

from one's own perspective, you only know for sure that you exist and that you have a spirit.

Uhm, we don't know if we have a spirit or soul at all.

The following;
the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life would be the definition of 'soul' or 'spirit' .. People say our souls or spirits are responsible for our actions, the 'controlling mind' behind it all, but why would it be something different from our brain? We can't proof that it actually is, so it's definitely not a fact.

Do we even know for sure that what we decide to do is really our own decision?? No, hence the theories of people in caves and life being an illusion projected on a wall and the dozen other similar theories.

Personally I believe I have total control over my life, but it's a belief, these kind of things aren't per say facts or can really be proven because there's no possibility of doing something over a second time in exact the same situation. And even if there was and you'd do the same over and over again, what does it prove?

Cheers

Re: What are we really? [Re: PHeMoX] #135064
06/20/07 03:47
06/20/07 03:47
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Quote:

I disagree.

Because you are able to THINK, but you do not know why you are able to think.

Everybody just assumes, that they are able to think and have consciousness, because your brain mixes those chemicals, but WHY are they mixing?

Nobody knows why...

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: What are we really? [Re: Ran Man] #135065
06/20/07 07:40
06/20/07 07:40
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

Everybody just assumes, that they are able to think and have consciousness, because your brain mixes those chemicals, but WHY are they mixing?

I'm pretty sure I don't assume that...And what's that got to do with a soul anyway?

The concept of a soul is very subjective anyway.. it has different meanings to different people in various cultures.

To me, the soul is the desire to live, to create, to explore, and finally, to become something new and greater.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: What are we really? [Re: Ran Man] #135066
06/20/07 12:11
06/20/07 12:11
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree.

Because you are able to THINK, but you do not know why you are able to think.

Nobody knows why...

I know why I am able to think, I simply can because I can. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to think that I can think. There are even people who say or have said that that's the proof for their existence.

Why the "chemicals" mix, is probably more a matter of chemistry than that is has anything to do with a soul. There's no magical force that stops or makes these chemicals react,

Cheers

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite