by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 693 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Load level in parts [Re: Leaf] #135250
06/12/07 00:59
06/12/07 00:59
Poor village - Poland ;)
tompo Offline
User
tompo  Offline
User

Poor village - Poland ;)
I've seen in this forum a long time ago some tutorial how to load "sublevels" in realtime where new parts of landscape are loading in realtime.
Don't remember where exacly.

But you can still make f.e. invisible block and attach all near object to that block.
Then if player is close enough to that box (f.e. trigger) this box creates new object near him by ent_create; This way your level will be loading faster because only small part of the level will be loading at start.
Just suggestion

Never say never.
Re: Load level in parts [Re: tompo] #135251
06/12/07 02:41
06/12/07 02:41
Canada
L
Leaf Offline
Leaf  Offline
L

Canada
Quote:

I've seen in this forum a long time ago some tutorial how to load "sublevels" in realtime where new parts of landscape are loading in realtime.
Don't remember where exacly.

But you can still make f.e. invisible block and attach all near object to that block.
Then if player is close enough to that box (f.e. trigger) this box creates new object near him by ent_create; This way your level will be loading faster because only small part of the level will be loading at start.
Just suggestion

x2

Re: Load level in parts [Re: Leaf] #135252
06/14/07 16:16
06/14/07 16:16
South Africa
quasarchangel Offline
quasarchangel  Offline

South Africa
Vice City does not use files of type .wmb, as in 3DGS, they are more like normal models, which load faster. If you look at certain places in Vice City you will notice that the texturing is not done like a .wmb handles the texturing, ie. some places they are stretched and not repeating. They also use very low res models and textures, which also load faster.

An idea would be to try using models and for each model you create an invisible .wmb for the collision detection. Then try using the built in LOD system to get them to load when user gets closer, but then its not easy for the smaller entities, ie. units and cars, to load. Maybe you could add them into the .wmb that makes up the collision. Just an idea, never tried, so no proof if it could work.

I am currently working on getting a Vice City sized level to work. I use a huge terrain object and from it I calculate a height map, store it in an array, then I use another array to place different objects on the map, ie. grass, trees, rocks, buildings... Then I calculate where the unit is on my huge terrain and render the grass and trees and so on which are visible to the player.

God DID give us a manual on how to change this world...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de