Same thing resident evil did...

Hey, I thik I've just found a solution. Sweet. Lets see f this still sounds do-able as a write/think...

WHAT IF, the model wasn't invisible, but simply drew exactly what was behind it (The model being collision geometry, using models with polygon flag, etc). I could use the same shader I used for portals to draw an image onto the model, but instead of reading from the texture from the models tex-coord, Ill read from the pixels position on the screen. Since pixel shaders draw by the amount of visible pixels on screen, and not by texture size, it won't lose quality!

Ok, there's the end of my ramble, and I still havn't found a downside. Yes, shaders are a bit slower, but this shader requires VERY LITTLE math, so the shader should run very quickly. The hardest part is adjusting the position and size of the image for differnt screen resolutions, but once the formula for this is found, it shouldn't be a problem.

Since stencil-shadows are displayed onto models (even with shaders), you should have a perfect result! You could probably even add dyn. lights to the scene for brightening the shadows in certain areas....

I won't be back home until the 25th, so I can't really begin on this idea now, but if someone else wants to give it a try, please do!

Let me know what you guys think!...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer