Yep, that's what I've decided to do. I don't even know if it's possible to render a shadows at all if it's not completely visible. It might be a directx thing. Thanks for trying and for the effort. I've discussed this new use of realtime models with Dan, but I haven't heard from him, so I hope he's still on board.

To reiterate: I'm building a high poly representation of what I want in Poser 7 and saving out a large number of animation frames and attaching this to the lower poly model. This model will serve as my shadow caster. I'll have to place it a bit in front of the model to avoid clipping, and I just hope this doesn't look strange in regards to the shadow lining up wrong. I'll combine this with the results of the subject of this thread (I guess we got that working?).

Of course, if the model can cast an alternate shadow from a LOD model, why can't it cast a shadow from an invisible model?

Can someone who knows about these things post if it's possible for an invisible model to cast a stencil shadow? Is there some flag that can be set in a material?

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links