@xXx:

Take a look at the game Secret Files: Tunguska. I'm not recommending it because of how it may or may not relate to the technology discussed in this thread, but instead as a heads up to a modern adventure game that gets the UI right. The mouse management and space bar hint system is 2nd to none. Just about every review of this game, whether it was positive or negative, was highly positive about these two particularly aspects.

Myself, I loved the hint system. All it did was when you pressed and held down the space bar, all of the available interactive spots and exits would be highlighted. In fact, if you check out the official site, it is a Flash site and uses one of the backgrounds, and if you press and hold down the space bar, it highlights everything (that was an awkward sentence ). The mouse management is probably the best implemented "smart cursor" I've ever seen in the the genre.

Anyway, there's a demo if you want to try it out first hand.

http://www.secretfiles-game.com/

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links