Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Akow, 1 invisible), 1,404 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149568
08/31/07 07:25
08/31/07 07:25
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
what i meant by "breaking the speed-of-light barrier" was that such things don't violate any relativistic laws. i should've been more clear about that.

but like i said, it's like an animation. it's not something actually moving (or at least not in the way we perceive it).

if everyone in a stadium threw their hands in unison, it could be described as a faster-than-light mexican wave. then we could all have a discussion as to whether the wave traveled clockwise or anti-clockwise.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149569
08/31/07 18:56
08/31/07 18:56
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

I cant see how such info could ever have been released in the first place if it was incorrect.

Inaccurate information on the internet? Impossible!
Muons were discoverd in the 30's. There is no scientific publication of that time that I could find that even hinted at them being tachyon candidates.

Julz: I think we are both saying the same thing. The definition of Speed is a change in position over time... it doesn't matter what is changing position. In fact, your dragonball example, technically, also has a speed faster than the speed of light. The basic fact that I'm trying to impress (and you may already know) is that information cannot travel from one place to another FTL. The DB example, the flashlight example, all of these are FTL but cannot be used to transfer information FTL. So again, FTL speeds are possible but not to transfer information... hence teleportaion or massive FTL (both of which could carry a message) are impossible under current physical laws.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149570
08/31/07 19:09
08/31/07 19:09
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
This information was from the scientists journals at the time and also included in subsequent public encyclopaedias during the same time period.
Further, following these findings the muon in question was then found to be generated as a photon emmission as well as a charged particle!

What the net has to do with this when it didnt exist at the time is beyond me.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149571
08/31/07 21:26
08/31/07 21:26
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

What the net has to do with this when it didnt exist at the time is beyond

I assumed that you found this information on the net and not in the original journal. However...

Quote:

This information was from the scientists journals at the time and also included in subsequent public encyclopaedias during the same time period.

...so could you provide a citation or reference where he states that muons are FTL?

The discoverer of the Muon was Nobel Prize winner Carl D. Anderson in 1937 and I can find no reference on the net or in journals of that time where he or anyone else at that time proposed Muons to be tachyons. They have always been massive and detectible and where always referenced as such, never Tachyons that I could find. I would be facinated to find references to the contrary though!

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149572
08/31/07 21:41
08/31/07 21:41
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline OP
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Lol, "massive" is overrated ... isn't matter just all these vacuums of space next to eachother and such?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149573
08/31/07 22:24
08/31/07 22:24
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

Julz: I think we are both saying the same thing.

you're right

i guess i forgot that you said something along the lines of this from the beginning:
Quote:

hence teleportaion or massive FTL (both of which could carry a message) are impossible under current physical laws.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149574
08/31/07 23:39
08/31/07 23:39
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Lol, "massive" is overrated ... isn't matter just all these vacuums of space next to eachother and such?

We really don't know what Mass is! At the lowest level, mass is categorized into leptons and quarks. Leptons are like the electron and neutrino while quarks are the constituents of protons and neutrons (and many many more).

However, the standard model has NO firm explanation for what gives these particles mass nor what mass "is". Right now, there is a very important experiement at the LHIC trying to find the Higg's particle, a theoretical particle/field that gives leptons and quarks their mass. But still, this is further deconstruction and why mass behaives the way it does (and it's connection to gravity) are still mysteries.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: PHeMoX] #149575
09/01/07 07:10
09/01/07 07:10
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

Cheers

To complete fastlane's answer I would like to add the following consideration
Vacuun has been banned by quantum physics as a direct consequence of the Heisenberg's principle of indetermination

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: AlbertoT] #149576
09/01/07 18:50
09/01/07 18:50
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Vacuun has been banned by quantum physics as a direct consequence of the Heisenberg's principle of indetermination

Not quite but I think I know what you are trying to say.
The vacuum, in physics terms, is the lowest energy state. It is true that a vacuum of "exactly" Zero is impossible due to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle between Time and Energy... but that doesn't mean that a lowest energy state doesn't exist, just that it's not always zero and not always constant. But we still use a vacuum in our calculation so it hasn't been banned, merely redefined.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149577
09/01/07 20:35
09/01/07 20:35
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

... but that doesn't mean that a lowest energy state doesn't exist, just that it's not always zero and not always constant.

Yes ,It is what I meant, but according to classic Physics and common sense "Vacuum" must be alwayes zero and alwayes constant, otherwise it is not vacuum ,not at least in the dayly meaning of this term
Not only , due to the equivalence mass\ energy it has been proved that "vacuum" can "create" massive particles from "nothing" , even though their lifespan is extremely low
This is one of the most amazing discoveries of the modern physics , in my opinion

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite