Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,498 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Helghast] #152883
09/22/07 16:15
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
It looks great, the overall look is quite impressive !!
On the video itself, the heli looked to small compared to the rest of the environment but maybe it's because of the small video window in youtube I watched it through ^^ The explosions are oke but could be refined, it doens't look like a super realistic explosion, it needs to be heavier and faster. About the parts that fly away and bounce of on the water's surface is a nice idea but I doubt that such an amount of burning pieces will ever bounce that many times on the water itself Maybe adding some water splashes would give this a more realistic look too. But I know you put alot of effort in this and the result is the effect of your hard work so keep on going, tweaking the little and last bits are the annoying parts of live

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Helghast] #152884
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
I don't know how you have realized the heli's rotor but maybe if it is going to rotate faster you replace the model with the rotating blades (if the rotation isnt an animation in the model but a model of its own attached to the heli and rotated by script) by a discus-like model (over even a sprite?) which shows some blurred blades (done by texture) and an outlined circle rotating slowly and thus simulating the motion blur...

If you don't really understand what I mean here a picture which pretty much shows what I mean:

Here you can see the blurred blades and that kind of "circle outline" the blades do...

I think this would add a little bit of "communication" as the blurred blades tell the player that he now is going with high to nearly max speed and on the other side well "calms" the whole scene a little bit as u dont have this spinning all the time...

Antoher thing you probably have figured out too:
In your video at 1:38 the enemies' blades "refuse" to fall down too (as do the player's at the very end of the video)...

Last edited by Toast; 09/22/07 16:18.
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Toast] #152885
09/22/07 16:19
09/22/07 16:19
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Maybe that is because of the low fps you get when you record a video. Compressing the file size would increase the amount of frames but I guess Slin already did this so it's actually due to Fraps itself
I think Realspawn mentioned this in one of the previous pages.

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: frazzle] #152886
09/22/07 17:16
09/22/07 17:16
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Thanks for your comments
I´ll make the shore a bit slower and may even make it a bit darker, it depends on how I like it

Quote:

tweaking the little and last bits are the annoying parts of live

they are^^
You are definatly right, the explosion it self is much to slow, I´ll change it now. The bouncing on the watersurface is more caused by accident (it is not passable and used the same as the terrain), but I´ll play around with waterparticles here.

Quote:

Antoher thing you probably have figured out too:
In your video at 1:38 the enemies' blades "refuse" to fall down too (as do the player's at the very end of the video)...

at that moment I didn´t know what to do with it, but I´ll change it now.

About the rotors movement: It looks quite good with 60fps and looks still okay with about 35fps, but I recorded the video with 25fps... I´ll may add a sprite there.

Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Slin] #152887
09/22/07 20:57
09/22/07 20:57
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Maybe two more little things:
1.)
I really don't like the way the helis fall down after being dead. This turning is somewhat unrealistic especially as they have lost their blades. Maybe when dead you just pin down their direction at that moment in a vector plus calculate their speed and then you give those two properties to the wreckage model and just let a gravity force affect it. The way it is it's just too repetitive (as all will fall in the same manner) and you probably will get problems when you shoot someone at a higher altitude because the heli shot down at 1:38 spins incredibly fast before hitting the water. I think your script makes it spin faster with time but - well as I said I'd prefer a simple "rock falling" technique instead of this spinning (if you want to keep it you should slow down that spinning acceleration a lot)...

2.)
The "dust clouds" the heli creates when getting close to the ground is a very nice detail but it's not done very well I think. To be true I think you put in too much effort here for an effect coming out wrong. You somehow manage to spawn a "ring" of particles whose size depends on the heli's height. I think it would be better if you just trace the position right under the helicopter and from that point you spawn some bigger (maybe animated) dust-cloud particles, which randomly move away in all 360° directions (either you take the world axis for this or you try to calculate the normal vector of the terrain face to have a correct spawning even on tilted terrain). Depending on the altitude you could spawn more of those clouds, make them bigger and faster. This way you have an effect of your heli pushing anything below it away instead of those strange constant circles of dust...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Last edited by Toast; 09/22/07 20:58.
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Toast] #152888
09/23/07 11:01
09/23/07 11:01
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
Quote:

I really don't like the way the helis fall down after being dead. This turning is somewhat unrealistic especially as they have lost their blades.

The rotor is fixed it wass all a testing fase. As for the crash itself it is realistic. The rotor starts to spin the heli : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2k-GWKW-w

I just played a new demo slin provided me and the rotor spins good. It is indeed fraps that ruines the effect in a video clipe by dropping framerate.

Explosions will be tweaked some more
Slin begins to hate me

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Realspawn] #152889
09/23/07 12:41
09/23/07 12:41
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Well ok in that case the rotor is still functional. I'd say when being hit the engine turns off and thus you only have a little bit of spinning through the rotor left and not such an extreme one...

I think it's also someone will expect as it's done in pretty much all game like BF2 for example...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Last edited by Toast; 09/23/07 12:42.
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Toast] #152890
09/23/07 15:28
09/23/07 15:28
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
@ Realspawn, that video is crazy, why didn't he landed like he was planning too ?? Btw, your heli crashes don't need to be that realistic but you may always try Good to hear you and Slin update the game proces quite often and listen to the users C&C, great work !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: frazzle] #152891
09/23/07 16:09
09/23/07 16:09
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
we not always listen to the critics however some things can be improved and then we do it

i used serveral videos to study movement

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: new chopper-zone clip [Re: Realspawn] #152892
09/23/07 16:51
09/23/07 16:51
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Hehe - don't worry I won't get mad if you keep it this way. I think this one of the harder things of tuning as you have to deal with what would be realistic, what would be cool looking and what are people expecting and especially the last one is pretty important...

But another question about the helis falling down. How is it done? Let's say the enemy flies at full speed an then gets shot. Will its velocity then be set to zero and he falls down right where he was shot? Because I think that would be kinda strange (and the video doesn't show this well enoug to say how you've realized it)...

So maybe a combination of "rock falling" and "spinning" is the way to go...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de