by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 678 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A7 Pro Zone MMO networking capability [Re: bstudio] #158047
10/03/07 15:09
10/03/07 15:09
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Let me rephrase:

Somehow I think you did not understand the post above this comment. You'll need lots of experience with multiplayer to even start thinking about trying to make an MMO. So really, no need to rephrase. Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see you go through with this, perhaps you are up to the task.

Quote:

Yeah and 3dgs is a $899 engine, how do you expect to handle 10000 client's without any framerate drop or to much network traffic. It can be done, the coding you'd have to do however is just way too much.

It's not the frame-rate you should worry about, it's the code that handles sending and receiving all the data. I'm sure having 10000 entities in one world wouldn't be such a problem. They won't be visible all at the same time.
However having to update 10000 entity positions is plain madness unless you've created a very efficient and fast multi-server system. You have to write most of how it would work yourself(!) and although the engine supports multizones and so on in the pro version, it doesn't come into existence with the press of a button...

Anyways, better make sure that you are able to program a game with the A7 engine and are familiar with both c-script and Lite-c. Read up on multiplayer "systems" and how they work because that will give you an idea how to approach this problem and lastly good luck because you'll need it. MMOs are tough no matter which engine you've decided to use.

(Oww and Damocles is right, this became one of those kiddy-talk threads again.)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: A7 Pro Zone MMO networking capability [Re: PHeMoX] #158048
10/03/07 20:52
10/03/07 20:52
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Even if I do not scale up to 100,000 users, I need to at least scale up to 10,000 users, and I paid for the A7 Pro version to do just that.

Can you get 10,000 people in one world? Maybe.
Will they be able to do much more than walk and talk? No.

See this is still a problem with what you are proposing: no MMP system in existence will scale up to 10,000 users either! It has nothing to do with A7 or Torque or Quake: it's simple computer logistics.

A more reaslistic number for WoW-esque MMO is about 1 to 3 thousand clients per world... and then about 100 of them simultanously interacting at the same time. NOW you create several shards or instances, say ten, and now you have 10 to 30 thousand users but not at the same time, not on the same server, and not able to interact with each other. So when you see that WoW has say 300 thousand users, realize these are not all in the same world and most will not be able to physically interact or communicate with the rest.

A7 (or at least A6 did; haven't tried A7 too much) will do as others have stated a session_connect function that will allow you to jump servers and this is the key to getting thousands of players in your world. BUT that is one function and is not a "solution"; how this feature translates to an MMO is for you to learn and implement because that function is merely one, very easy though very critical, step to building an MMO but it is not "the" mmo.

Take peoples advice:
learn A7 single player first.
Learn any Client/Server architecture second (be it with 3DGS or some other applicaiton).
Once you are confident that you understand A7 and C/S, make a 4 player MP C/S game.
Then and only then should you consider designing a MMO and then and only then shoudl you consider making the MMO.

Or as I often put it "Dream Big. Start Small".

Skip any of the above steps and I will guarantee that your project has failed before it was begun.

Re: A7 Pro Zone MMO networking capability [Re: jedilq] #158049
10/07/07 05:28
10/07/07 05:28
G
Gumby22don Offline
Gumby22don  Offline
G

I have to say, that for a "kiddy talk" thread, this has the most useful information I've seen in a thread to date, for someone looking at a mMO-style setup as their future dream project...

Thanks to all who posted full replies here, its great info and well written.

Don
have a great day

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de