Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (henrybane), 1,499 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: FBL] #164959
11/02/07 12:43
11/02/07 12:43
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Thief 2 was a very scary game, indeed.

Though, I really hate scary games - I don't want to play games that make me feel unwell. I often don't find the time to play games. So.. when I actually play a game, I want to enjoy it. Funnily enough, I played and finished The Suffering I and II and they were scary as well, but like Thief I - III, there are game-elements which were more dominant and more enjoyable as all the "scared-to-death" things.

Last edited by HeelX; 11/02/07 12:43.
Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: HeelX] #164960
11/02/07 12:49
11/02/07 12:49
Germany
dblade Offline
dblade  Offline

Germany
Hey, the best game ever was SlaveZero but it wasn't scarred but also funny
Does somebody know this great Game ?

Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: dblade] #164961
11/02/07 13:15
11/02/07 13:15
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Quote:

Do you know Heretic ?
It's was also a great Dos 3D-Game.
(There was a funny cheat to became a chicken [yes, became, not get ])

Of course I do. Fantasy Doom There was also a sequel.
But all in all I liked Hexen a lot more... in fact I still love it today.

Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: FBL] #164962
11/02/07 15:10
11/02/07 15:10
Germany
dblade Offline
dblade  Offline

Germany
Yes, Hexen is great.
But I could only get a Demo from DosGames.com

It also uses the Heretic Engine with some advantages like weather effects,etc.
All in all a great game.
But i think the best of John Romeo is Daikatana

Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: dblade] #164963
11/02/07 15:17
11/02/07 15:17
nl
F
flits Offline
User
flits  Offline
User
F

nl
i bought thief 1 & 2 for €5,- and i played thief 1 on my laptop whiteout a videocard on high so i tought why would i play 2

"empty"
Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #164964
11/02/07 18:28
11/02/07 18:28
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

Quote:

:D I remember playing Tomb Raider as a kid when suddenly some friggin gorilla showed up behind me and scared the crap out of me.

And I also hated Ravenholm in HL2 -.-. I was really so damn happy when I reached the exit ...

Yeah I know I'm a p*ssy, but that whole horror genre ain't my thing. Never was.

No, you are not a p*ssy, I can even agree with you. I was happy after finishing Ravenholm. The shotgun simply had not enough ammo.

Ravenholm scared the heck outta me, cause it seemed like there are infinite zombies just around every corner you could get... damn... i'm never going to pla THAT again

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #164965
11/02/07 18:40
11/02/07 18:40
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Quote:

My first 3d-game was Doom and I often moved my head just to look around the corner but it did not help since the screen is flat This was scary.

Quote:

But now it becomes more and more un-scary. We are getting used to thrilling moments in front of computers. And besides that I know how to defend me in real life as well. That might help also to feel more safe.

Oddly enough it's been the other way around for me. The original Doom was not scary at all because the monsters looked too funny, e.g. the giant berry-like cacodemon On the other hand Doom3's graphics are too realistic and I have refrained from playing it. My main objection to horror games are pop-up effects where an enemy shows up unexpectedly- killing zombies at a distance is okay, but in Bioshock spawning a deranged doctor right behind your back just is annoying.
Speaking of Thief & Bioshock- what is it about Art Deco design that makes it so intense ?

Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #164966
11/02/07 18:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:D I remember playing Tomb Raider as a kid when suddenly some friggin gorilla showed up behind me and scared the crap out of me.

And I also hated Ravenholm in HL2 -.-. I was really so damn happy when I reached the exit ...

Yeah I know I'm a p*ssy, but that whole horror genre ain't my thing. Never was.

No, you are not a p*ssy, I can even agree with you. I was happy after finishing Ravenholm. The shotgun simply had not enough ammo.

Ravenholm scared the heck outta me, cause it seemed like there are infinite zombies just around every corner you could get... damn... i'm never going to pla THAT again

Yeah, the thing about Ravenholm that makes it pretty scary are the fast running, jumping and crawling aliens that do huge damage. You need to be careful because they are really 'dangerous'. It was still just about the only part of Half-life2 that was scary, but it proves the fact that a gamer needs to feel a bit weak before you even can get scared. The lack of a big ammo pile there was a great idea,

Quote:

That is exactly my problem, concerning movies, too. I'm really jealous of people who can be scared by games and movies.

Yeah, I think people that do get scared often have trouble with realizing that it's not real or that there's no reason to fear. I'm not saying it's wrong to be afraid or that those people are wussies, but objectively seen they shouldn't be. Still, there are plenty of times I've got to admit that certain movies did a great job of being quite convincing, even if only in specific scenes. So you won't hear me claim that there are no scary movies, but really getting scared is a whole different story indeed.

Quote:

I think the more realistic the games become, the more the faults attract attention and destroy the gaming experience - Games that go the other way and don't try to be a copy of our reality, but build their own reality instead, can be much more convincing to me.

It depends on the kind of game, but generally speaking I would definitely agree. I think the keyword is 'convincing'. As long as something is convincing, it can be very scary. The Alien movie, albeit a sci-fi movie, was quite convincing when I first saw it.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: Marco_Grubert] #164967
Dortmund, Germany
P
phil3d Offline
Developer
phil3d  Offline
Developer
P

Dortmund, Germany
Resident Evil 1 was hard but i was very young when i played it.

Re: Have you ever played a really scary game? [Re: phil3d] #164968
11/02/07 19:55
11/02/07 19:55
England, UK
A
Aaron_H Offline
User
Aaron_H  Offline
User
A

England, UK
I remember when I was really young, my dad got me PACMAN for the Sega Master System and he told me that when you turn it on "ghosts come out to get you" and I was too scared to turn it on.

Another time when I was young, Resident Evil kinda freaked me out.

Now the only game that really freaks me out is FEAR, but even that's not so bad.
Horror films are my favourite films, so I'm kinda used to a lot of things in the horror world.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de