First the resulting image of the uv-mesh.
To get a proper mesh the image size must big enough.
Skin Editor: Edit --> Resize skin ...
My choose: 1024 x 1024.

To export it as an image - to paint on it the surface - you go in the Skin Editor: View --> Lines --> Lines; File --> Export --> Current image to Bmp.. , and save it.

After that you open the image in the painting programm of your choice. Normally there is no need to close MED. To control the paintings you have to save the image and import it into MED. In the 3D-View you can get an early impression on how the surface is 'integrated' in the models shape. That is not the same impression that it makes in a level. At least you should test it in a level.

I took Photoshop to work on the skin. The advantage: you can add several plains ("Ebenen"(I'm german, so the names in the picture are german)).
One plain for the mesh - you can choose the black color and remove it. There should be a function 'replace color'. (german: Bild --> Einstellen --> Farbe ersetzen..) Then you can copy that and place it in a plain above the other plains: because the black is removed you can see through the mesh onto the ground color of the face, the shadow, the highlightings and other details - each on one plain so that you can modificate one of it without damaging another one.

The view through the mesh onto the ground color of the face, the shadow, the highlightings and other details.

The shadows (also the beginning of an eye - sorry, for mixing it up a bit - I was in hurry.)

The highlightings (and other details). Mainly you would darken or lighten the shadows and highlights through regulating the transparence of the plain. To paint you choose a smooth brush depending on how large the surface should be highlightened.

I copied and mirrored the eye and the ear and other things, as to be seen at the ear: sometimes it is easier to paint both, shadow and highlight, in one plain - also did I give them a little bit pink.

I also copied and mirrored the shadows, but I didn't make both sides identically, because I think it looks more lifefull, when there are differences.

At last I experimented with 'Saving for web..', I converted the image into a gif with two colors.
I expected a cellshading like impression ...

...but three colors fit better:

Here its look-a-like in 3D: