by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,227 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: fastlane69] #180335
01/29/08 07:21
01/29/08 07:21
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
There needs to be a way to simply change the Icon of your .exe and in your taskbar, or wherever else. I don't know of many games that uses the same engine icon for it's .exe, it doesn't make sense. And the A7 Icon really isn't that attractive. Although, having the acknex.dll doesn't really bother me, there needs be a way to swap icons quickly, without using the SDK.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: William] #180336
01/29/08 12:32
01/29/08 12:32
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Back to the initial question. The question was to provide ways to hide the fact that a certain application was created with Gamestudio.

There are some straightforward ways, such as replacing the icon in the acknex.dll with a user icon. This is certainly easy to do and if it's important, I'll put it on my future feature list.

However, and this is the main point, is it illusional to think you can hide the Acknex engine from your publisher or from anyone else.

If your publisher cares about this, he will just ask you, and you have to tell. If anyone else cares, he can find out in a minute which engine your game uses. The name of the DLL does not matter for this. Is it possible with some tricks to make the engine difficult to determine, but that would mean a lot of effort from our side for a purpose that almost no one needs. If it's really important for you, use a wrapper such as Thinstall. Though this will not really prevent anyone from finding out what your game was made with, it will not be this visible at a first glance.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: jcl] #180337
01/29/08 12:38
01/29/08 12:38

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

... such as replacing the icon in the scknex.dll with a user icon. This is certainly easy to do and if it's important, I'll put it on my future feature list.

I appreciate this (at least for the pro version).

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: ] #180338
01/29/08 19:49
01/29/08 19:49
Germany
HPW Offline
HPW  Offline

Germany
I don't want to hide it completely but I think it's better if our Games have own prgram/exe icons instead of the 3DGS one.
Nearly all professional Games (that I've played so far) comes with an own program/exe icon.

Last edited by HPW; 01/29/08 19:52.

Evil Blood (v. 0.52) RPG
Commport.de (Social Network Community)
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: jcl] #180339
01/29/08 20:15
01/29/08 20:15
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Quote:

There are some straightforward ways, such as replacing the icon in the acknex.dll with a user icon. This is certainly easy to do and if it's important, I'll put it on my future feature list.Is it possible with some tricks to make the engine difficult to determine, but that would mean a lot of effort from our side for a purpose that almost no one needs. If it's really important for you, use a wrapper such as Thinstall. Though this will not really prevent anyone from finding out what your game was made with, it will not be this visible at a first glance.

Thanks JCL.

The icon replacement would be meaningful to a lot of people, I think. Not even in terms of hiding acknex from publishers, but for having "ownership" of the game.

I know that with Delphi and Director, too, users of these programs were also disappointed that they could not use their own icons without jumping through a lot of hoops. The first thing someone saw was, "oh, look this was made with director"-- which isn't relevant to the game/product at hand.

The bad rap that HeelX and I and others are talking about, I think, is undeserved and due to misinformation, a new product identity would remove that. Something further removed from the "click together" game maker association. I'd not want so much to downplay it.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180340
01/29/08 21:05
01/29/08 21:05
Germany
Scorpion Offline
Serious User
Scorpion  Offline
Serious User

Germany
If I would make a good game title with gamestudio I would not hide that it was done with it, because I think GS has a lot of capabilities. I could not imagine that they would not try out your game (thats what you wanted), only because it was made with GS, maybe they would not do it, because the first icon is still a standard one(unprofessional).
So I think that other points are not really needed and I would really like to see an in-build option for an icon.

btw: what I noticed was, that I could not use an icon with an alpha-channel (just visible or not) and that I couldn't use an icon, that uses different sizes in it. I would appreciate if you could also implement that

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180341
01/30/08 00:09
01/30/08 00:09
LazyDog Offline
User
LazyDog  Offline
User

Quote:

I know that with Delphi and Director, too, users of these programs were also disappointed that they could not use their own icons without jumping through a lot of hoops. The first thing someone saw was, "oh, look this was made with director"-- which isn't relevant to the game/product at hand.

I don't know where you got your information about changing icons with Delphi but I've been using delphi since 1995 and it's absoluting a piece of cake to use your own icon for the .exe that you create.

www.LazyDogSoftware.com
Delphi SDK Homepage

A7 Pro 780
Delphi 5 through 2010
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: LazyDog] #180342
01/30/08 00:53
01/30/08 00:53
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
Quote:

???. A few mouse clicks and you can change your applications title bar icon and the .exe icon! You don't even have to write one line of code if you don't want to.

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: adoado] #180343
01/30/08 01:14
01/30/08 01:14
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Really?

Back in 1996, with Director 5, we had to use a resource editor to change the executable icon. It was very difficult. I've seen many CD-ROM's made with Director where they didn't know how to do this.

And with Delphi it was easier, but it was unmistakable to recognize the delphi default application icon. Maybe that's all I am thinking of, that it's simply easy to recognize a delphi app if the programmer is too lazy to create a custom icon.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180344
01/30/08 05:24
01/30/08 05:24
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
Quote:

And with Delphi it was easier, but it was unmistakable to recognize the delphi default application icon. Maybe that's all I am thinking of, that it's simply easy to recognize a delphi app if the programmer is too lazy to create a custom icon.

This is different from the 3dgs icon situation. Delphi gives you the option to change the icon (in about 3 mouse clicks) to a custom one - if the programmer is lazy thats their own problem.

But changing 3dgs icons, etc. would be helpful ^^

Thanks,
Adoado

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de