Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,426 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: adoado] #180345
01/30/08 07:20
01/30/08 07:20
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
I like the option to change the icon when I publish the application. My intention is because the icon is the identity of the game, not hiding the engine. And I proud to tell others my game is made with acknex, I just worry my audience not interest/satisfy my creation.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Frederick_Lim] #180346
01/30/08 11:10
01/30/08 11:10
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
what you are proud of can vastly differ from the attitude or experience of publishers, customers or other.
So it is always good to see things abit more objectively.

Jetpack, fogman or william are more experienced in this case and already told how much prejudice might exist in reality. All your pride cannot wash that away and might look a bit unprofessional in the eyes of an experienced publisher.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Machinery_Frank] #180347
01/30/08 12:07
01/30/08 12:07
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Can you or someone share any bad experience with publisher regarding the choice of game engine?

If the publisher really interest about which engine you use, I don't think you can lie to her.

Popcap engine is not really an high-end engine but the developers made successful game and money with it.

I think experiences publisher is not blind, if your idea has potential to create the next big hit like Bookworms and Insaniquarium (just an example), the engine bias will be simply wash away.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Frederick_Lim] #180348
01/30/08 13:15
01/30/08 13:15
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

Its not that you use an engine. Publishers rather have
a small developer use an engine, that is proven to work/compatable, than some homebrew hacker
with his own 3D engine, where the game is only showcased on a few computers.

Is simply that when you go to a publisher and say you made a demo with the FPS-Maker
you will not be taken serious.

And "3D Gamestudio" simply transports the same impression simply by its "gamemaker" name.

-> the publisher simply does not know how much of the Demo is "static" functionalities provided by the engine,

and how much is really due to the skill of the programmer/developer.
And this determines (for the publisher) how flexible the developer is expected to be in the future,
when new features are needed.
If you make a game wich looks exacly like one of the many template shooters here, but you say
that this is completely developed by you in C++ and Direct X, you will be much more trusted
to have the skill to make a bigger project.

When I showed people my RTS, they thought, that this can be simply clicked together with
Gamestudio, wich is far from thrue. But the game-maker name simply transports that impression.

-> its really about the name "3D Gamestudio", not that its position as Middleware engine.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: Damocles] #180349
01/30/08 13:23
01/30/08 13:23
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Any serious publisher is going to invest over $100,000 in any commercially viable project. They don't want a "click together" game made without a programmer using pre-made models. But it's what they think on first impression of the engine. And so they keep their $100,000.

If you knew nothing about the game engine or game programming, and you saw the gamestudio webpage, the click-together "no programming necessary" campaign, you'd not risk $100,000 on it either unless you were a fool. If you think seeking even $100,000 is unreasonably high for a commercial game budget, you know very little about the business side of the industry.

$100,000 is not enough to employ a programmer and an artist full time, while paying for a couple of 3DS Max licenses, legal consulting and trademark fees, logistical overhead such as travel expenses to attend meetings, a video projector, pitch kits and the extra freelance help any commercial project will require.

Those of us seeking to make a game with a budget of at least $100,000 won't even be able to pay for Unreal Engine or Gamebryo, so Torque or 3DGS are our only commercial options. Torque isn't associated with "Big Rigs". Guess which one someone with $100,000 would feel more comfortable investing their money in.

Positioning A7 Pro away from the Gamestudio brand (and it is different enough to warrant the new identity) will help those of us who feel unjustly at a disadvantage when trying to secure $100,000 of completion funding.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180350
01/30/08 17:47
01/30/08 17:47
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Custom icon is just fine.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180351
01/30/08 18:51
01/30/08 18:51
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Ok, I'm sorry to have to do this but the curiosity is killing me.
As these are personal anecdotes of rejection, it becomes critical to understand what that person is presenting. As such, Jetpack, I searched the forums for a year back and could find no postings by you of your game:

What exactly DID you take to Take-Two, what was your team make up at that time, and how much time had you spent developing it?

I promise this isn't a preemtive personal attack on you or your game, but I think it's time that we looked at the other side of the equation. You've lambasted 3DGS for having a reputation for making poor, click-together games but I think at this point it's important to know exactly what you are presenting to these people that gets rejected.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: fastlane69] #180352
01/30/08 19:28
01/30/08 19:28
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Quote:

I promise this isn't a preemtive personal attack on you or your game, but I think it's time that we looked at the other side of the equation. You've lambasted 3DGS for having a reputation for making poor, click-together games but I think at this point it's important to know exactly what you are presenting to these people that gets rejected.

I said mentioning the name resulted in an awkward, unimpressed moment in a job interview, and second, that a producer at a well known company tried very hard to talk me into switching to Torque. I did not say anything about me my work being rejected. The other information regarding my project, its history and status, isn't up for discussion.

Actually, fastlane, all I am doing is relating my experience to the community here. If you or anyone else here do not believe me, not you or anyone else can change my experiences or rewrite history. If anyone here thinks we are liars or hallucinating, we can't do anything about it.

For heck's sake, let it go and take what I have said, what HeelX has said, as well as what Fogman has said, as our own testimonies. I am not going to take a lie detector test, or be interrogated, to prove it to you or anyone else. It doesn't mean it didn't happen and that it doesn't happen.

Keep on insinuating that I am lying or deluded, all you want. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to convince people here of my honesty.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180353
01/30/08 21:19
01/30/08 21:19
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

If you or anyone else here do not believe me, or think I am misguided, not you or anyone else can change my experiences or rewrite history. [...]Keep on insinuating that I am lying or deluded, all you want

Ignorant of the game industry perhaps, but not deluded or a liar.

If you will pay close attention, AFAIK no one NEVER brought your truth into question. We know this happens; no one denys that 3DGS has a bad Rep and the reaction that we get. But there are just as many people that have succeeded in spite of this as there are who have failed.

So the question is: why?

You initial post posits that the names to blame. That if 3DGS were rebranded, then people wouldn't react the way they do.
I disagreed and here we are.

But in all this, I've been trying to get to the heart of the matter (leading to my "rose" thread) in an attempt not to discredit you but rather to milk you for information so we know exactly what happened, why, and how to prevent it in the future.

Quote:

The other information regarding my project, its history and status, isn't up for discussion.

Since this whole thread is based on personal anecdotes, it makes sense for me to ask you who you are as a game developer personally. As you see, I'm not attacking or doubting anything here... merely trying to get a feel for where this request is coming from so that I can see if it's relevant to me or not. Let's face it, if you are a new game developer (IF), with little to no work, demos, titles, or anything to your name, then this is merely the lashing of a fustrated individual who blames everyone but themselves when their games get rejected at the personal or professional level.

This is why I pay attention to Ichiro and Nardalus and not Heelx or Fogman. As accomplished as the two latter individuals are, the two former individuals have more Industry experience and thus it is there opinion that will carry more weight for me. And like me, they do not doubt the integrity of your story, merely the conclusions that you have drawn from it.

Re: removing all "acknex" labels and stuff *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: fastlane69] #180354
01/30/08 21:21
01/30/08 21:21
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Post deleted by Monkey_Velvet

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de