Here you have the greatest video game of all time, Ocarina of Time. Along with it you have a question "What made the game so successful?". Then you have a game like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil. These games were given high scores by the critics, the people who played them loved them, but they failed to succeed. There's probably a whole bunch of reasons why they didn't succeed, marketing, too high budget etc. But what I'm interested in focusing on is actually the gameplay itself, the immersive experience.

I'm sure there are other games to look at apart from these. But what are your thoughts on why a game like Zelda was so successful and others which were given great ratings weren't? What is it about Kingdom Hearts that makes it such a cool game? What did these games do right and wrong? etc etc etc

Also considering the following, Cavestory (great gameplay and great story, old graphics and old sound) what made this game so fun? It was like playing Super Metriod in a new, innovative and unique fashion. So it leads me to think that the main difference with adventure games is that the story has a larger part to play in how fun the game is??? If that's the case then assuming we have the story down, what could we create and do to make magnificent gameplay?

I'd really love to hear your thoughts so please share.