by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 958 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Supernatural Olympics - project release #197185
08/03/06 05:24
08/03/06 05:24
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
The Supernatural Olympics - project release

The Supernatural Olympics is now available. Download the free edition here. It utilizes the power of the 2D engine of Gamestudio and has no 3D elements of any kind. Despite being 2D, there is a very strong 3D feel the game.

The Supernatural Olympics has numerous features, of which are explained in rich detail here.

These are the controls (see the quick review in the menu help for the interactive tutorial):
Control key - jump (and jump in mid-air)
Left shift key - use the flash attack if in mid-air
Alt - press and hold when in mid-air to fall-glide
Space bar - press once for bounce stomp, and a second time for the pound stomp
Right shift key - press and hold to glide
Q - toggle between frame advance and normal game modes
W - double the game time
S - half the game time
H - horizon indicator toggle
M - call menu
Arrow keys - move, hold while using flash attack to aim, highlight menu options
Enter - select menu options, advance to next group of text in tutorial, confirm inputs

Here are some screenshots of the game (more are in the links within the descriptions page linked above):

Supersonic gliding

Playing a challenge at medium difficulty in normal mode.

The pound stomp means serious speed.

Stopping stirs up dust.

Edit: if you find any bugs, please report them either here, or, preferrably, on my forum. Download the game manual here.
Edit #2: added brief control summary.
Last edited by ulillillia; 08/03/06 07:32.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
37 Comments
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: PHeMoX] #197215
08/07/06 20:03
08/07/06 20:03
TheExpert Offline
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline
Senior Developer

I've tested your game : slow in a simple PC without real 3D hardware : and it's 2D

i've tested other 2D games that runs really fast ; i think Cscript is slow and 3DGS better suited for 3D.

try that : i think you'll quickly forget your very poor 2D game
http://www.arcticgeckostudios.com/pedro/?section=projects

-tap twice forward to acceleration
-keep shoot key to charge a shot

amazing animations and combination of torso, legs animations,
gret level graphics and character.

try to find the acqueduct sub level you'll find water and cool animation when you fall on it

you can see the hair of character is animated with simle physics maths but the result is just great

Another game that proove that 2D can be marvellous compared to lot of
awfull 3D things made by programmers

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: TheExpert] #197216
08/07/06 22:17
08/07/06 22:17
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
You're the only one that's getting the slow effect. Everyone else is getting smooth frame rates and things. It may seem 2D, but it does have a strong 3D feel to it. The main reason for 2D is because MED is missing a very important feature preventing me from doing anything with 3D. I ain't going to be punching numbers into the calculator for ten hours to position 4000 skin vertices because scaling doesn't work properly.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197217
08/07/06 23:08
08/07/06 23:08
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

TheExpert, please please please watch what are you saying. I have to watch myself to not force myself to open my locker with all the bad words I should put over your tiny head because you are blaming the really hard work of our beloved fellow uli. If you don't like it, leave it.

@uli

Personally I like the style of your graphics, even it is sophisticated retro-style.. cool stuff. Some graphics are so worse that they are looking beautiful in their simplyness in my eyes I played your first released demo some time ago and was appealed there, too.

One thing which is REALLY annoying is that too much things are on the screen for example in the main menu. Or that unneeded elements arent invisible. Lets take the tutorial: all screen elements are visible all the time. You should display them only when needed when you are displaying something, and when you are doing so, just fade them in or out. When explaining some techniqes, animates sprites or small movies are helpful.
Also, which I dislike, is presenting an announced "complete" product without any sound! This is really a thing you should oversleep a night. Use some old synth-sounds to keep them analoge to your graphics style.

I have a clear view when it comes to: how hard it is A) to finish ALONE a demo or even full feature game and B) being stuck because you are thinkin' "whoa my game/code/feature is great". Never trust a programmer who wants to improve his own piece of code / debug his code! Maybe you should do something for look&feel of your game. I mean this serious.. it is in fact an improvement and I'm like you (maybe, haha): Sometimes I get new ideas of our gameplay/design departement apart from the well know design document which features everything I have/had to do. Them I'm thinking in in some cases "wth.. why should I program it, it makes fun at the current state". In the first second I'm lazy but later on in the most cases I say "it IS in fact an improvement and I'm a bad guy because I was too sceptic".

This works with most things.. though, programmers vs. designers are a special case, hehe. Programmers dont like fun

So wether you are taking some good pieces of my cake here or not, you've got my respect and attention.

Best wishes,
Christian

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: HeelX] #197218
08/08/06 08:18
08/08/06 08:18
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Adding sound is in my future plans. Earlier, I had no known way of doing so. Right now, I have limited funds so I'm not able to get FLStudio for doing so and DirectMusic Producer, my other related program, doesn't have a way to export as WAV so I have to manually record it (using line-in rather than a microphone). I don't get what you mean by the main menu, however.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197219
08/13/06 02:34
08/13/06 02:34
Just down the road from Raven
BlueBeast Offline
Serious User
BlueBeast  Offline
Serious User

This is SOOO off topic, i'm ashamed to even say it...

Eeveryone knows how i complain about posters that rip and shred people's efforts, and when I saw this thread i was so worried because of the few jerks who love to rip on Uli.

That said, im very proud with the overall critiques in this thread. All SC1 & SC2 threads should read like this one!

Now on topic:
This thread follows the guidlines of an SC2 post, there should be no question why it's here.

Congratulations ULI! A finished GS project is hard to find in any genre!

I know if you had to do it over, it would be a different project alltogether. But I imagine you've learned a lot, and you wish this project would wholly represent the skills you've accquired over this time. That's OK this project is still good for what it is, and your next will be even better!

Awesome ULI, I'm very proud of you!!!!!!

Jason

Gamestudio Pro 6.4
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800MHz BUS
AtiRadeon 9800 pro 256Mb 21" Monitor
1 Gig DDR RAM
36 Gig RAPTOR SATA+ 120 Gig SATA
SB Audigy 2 w/ 450 watt Logitech Z680 5.1

www.nordicepitaph.com
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: BlueBeast] #197220
08/13/06 03:47
08/13/06 03:47
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

Congratulations ULI! A finished GS project is hard to find in any genre!

I know if you had to do it over, it would be a different project alltogether. But I imagine you've learned a lot, and you wish this project would wholly represent the skills you've accquired over this time. That's OK this project is still good for what it is, and your next will be even better!

Awesome ULI, I'm very proud of you!!!!!!

Jason

It's history dates back to late 2001 when I first started making 3D-like animated GIFs. Over time, I've learned new techniques and made more mathematical discoveries. The development of it actually started when I wrote an article on my website on how I make my 2D animations. I made a very simple program that helps explain what scaling is and what effect it has. It had very simple graphics, but was sufficient in most cases. From a google image search, I saw screenshots of my old program and wanted to improve on the concept and it eventually turned into a game. Read the version history in full in the manual for further details (and my blog). I have one last obstacle with Regnow to deal with and I'm good to go for releasing the full version at $12.95 per license. Since it's the weekend (I hate weekends!), I'll likely have to wait until Monday before I get a response then the 1 to 2-day processing time for the full edition of the game to be released. You should see the new version of the player character. When I finished the the lighting effects of the standing phase, I was amazed at how 3D it appeared. This is targetted for the 2.5 update. There'll be other enhancements as well.

Now, if only I had a reliable way to UV map my models, I'd get going on my 3D game. Without it, I have negative motive.

I checked my website's statistics as well - 420 downloads of the free edition already (since August 1, 2006)! Wow!

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197221
08/13/06 08:25
08/13/06 08:25
BlueBeast Offline
Serious User
BlueBeast  Offline
Serious User

keep up the good work, I wish I knew what we could do with that awesome mathematical mind of yours, ever think of going to MIT?

Jason

Gamestudio Pro 6.4
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800MHz BUS
AtiRadeon 9800 pro 256Mb 21" Monitor
1 Gig DDR RAM
36 Gig RAPTOR SATA+ 120 Gig SATA
SB Audigy 2 w/ 450 watt Logitech Z680 5.1

www.nordicepitaph.com
The Supernatural Olympics - full edition released [Re: BlueBeast] #197222
08/19/06 08:40
08/19/06 08:40
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I have now released the full edition after a long-lasting series of E-mails between me and Regnow. This is the order form. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the order form or even advertise a Gamestudio project, so if it's not allowed, then feel free to delete this post.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de