Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (henrybane), 1,499 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Supernatural Olympics - project release #197185
08/03/06 05:24
08/03/06 05:24
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
The Supernatural Olympics - project release

The Supernatural Olympics is now available. Download the free edition here. It utilizes the power of the 2D engine of Gamestudio and has no 3D elements of any kind. Despite being 2D, there is a very strong 3D feel the game.

The Supernatural Olympics has numerous features, of which are explained in rich detail here.

These are the controls (see the quick review in the menu help for the interactive tutorial):
Control key - jump (and jump in mid-air)
Left shift key - use the flash attack if in mid-air
Alt - press and hold when in mid-air to fall-glide
Space bar - press once for bounce stomp, and a second time for the pound stomp
Right shift key - press and hold to glide
Q - toggle between frame advance and normal game modes
W - double the game time
S - half the game time
H - horizon indicator toggle
M - call menu
Arrow keys - move, hold while using flash attack to aim, highlight menu options
Enter - select menu options, advance to next group of text in tutorial, confirm inputs

Here are some screenshots of the game (more are in the links within the descriptions page linked above):

Supersonic gliding

Playing a challenge at medium difficulty in normal mode.

The pound stomp means serious speed.

Stopping stirs up dust.

Edit: if you find any bugs, please report them either here, or, preferrably, on my forum. Download the game manual here.
Edit #2: added brief control summary.
Last edited by ulillillia; 08/03/06 07:32.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
37 Comments
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197186
08/03/06 07:03
08/03/06 07:03
Mainz
oliver2s Offline
Expert
oliver2s  Offline
Expert

Mainz
Very cool game. It makes a lot of fun. It seems very stable and bugfree. Good Work

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: oliver2s] #197187
08/03/06 07:07
08/03/06 07:07
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
I spent the last seven or so hours messing around with it trying to find bugs and even after 5 hours of testing whatever I could find, I couldn't find any bugs.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197188
08/03/06 07:10
08/03/06 07:10
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
Well, first thing is first Ulillillia, congradulations to you for "finishing" your game. Ive actually been waiting for this to come out so I could see what youve been talking about all this time . Its cool that its finally finished, and out there for us to play.

That being said, ill get into the critique...

The Good:

Honestly, its pretty fun seeing how high you can jump... I spent a good 15 minutes trying different combinations of moves to get as high as unhumanly possible, and let me just say that I blew your city away . Couldnt even see it anymore, and the scaling is cool. Actually gives you the feeling that your are jumping REALLY high.

The graphics are very clean, and all of the animations for the character are nicely done. Its pretty impressive that theyre all 2D pic's.

The Bad:

Unfortunately, since its only the free version, I recieved errors galore. I understand that is because I have not paied yet, but it was just annoying . Not really a "bad" I guess...

Also, to be honest, it got a little boring after I could no longer get any higher . Sorry to hit you with that, but im gana be honset with you here.

The Ugly:

I know your gana hate me for this, but your UI... It is fairly confusing, and the white text, with the pale city visible in the background began to give me a headach.

Also, your tutorials are FAR more complex than they need to be. Your explaining height factors and scaling and all this, when I really just want to know..."how the heck do I jump." You made it far more technical that it needed ot be.

In conclusion, the game feels like you spent A LOT more time on the math aspect of the game, and you drone it into the players head as they are trying to figure out how to play. The game is good, and feels solid, from what I have played. However, I was left with a headach after reading all of that text, only to find the two words "left shift" nestled on one of the last pages .

The math seems to be solid as well. All the scaling does look nice, and the gameplay with without flaw (at least that I have seen).

As final words, the game is good, but is not without its shortcommings.

Good luck,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: Rad_Daddy] #197189
08/03/06 07:26
08/03/06 07:26
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Well, if I had an alternative for account activation at Regnow, I'd release the full edition on there. It may take a day or two before I can even get a chance to do so.... The part about contacting a representative shouldn't have to be required - it's very annoying and extremely inconvienient.

If you haven't noticed it, in the menu help area of the tutorial, the controls are given right there in a very quick form. It says "Quick review: key - what the key does". I added that for simplicity. I'll edit my original post to include the controls.

The feature comparison chart explains what each edition supports. The bounce stomp doesn't work when going faster than 400 mph. The fall-glide-hop doesn't work when going faster than 200 mph.

If you don't want the city, just use the visibility menu to take all buildings out.

If there was a way to dynamically change the text color of bitmap fonts, I'd do it. There isn't a way to do it, so the color remains as is. White has the highest contrast so I used that.

As for the errors, there are several around.

Edit: I could add another feature in the menus to suppress the unimportant error messages (like the jump error, stomp error, and the related - load errors will never be suppressed).

Last edited by ulillillia; 08/03/06 07:34.

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197190
08/03/06 16:20
08/03/06 16:20
B
beegee Offline
User
beegee  Offline
User
B

WOW! Congratulations Uli for finishing your own game. I just downloaded and had a first look on it:

First the bad things and then the great things. Note: I don't want to make you angry or sth. like that. I want to give you tips. Sorry for my bad english, I could write nicer in german. But at all I hope you will work on with your game (because no game can be perfect this is unpossible) and so I'm waiting for the next release. I'm sure now developing makes much more fun than before, because now you have to modify, optimizing and so on.

- too much texts to read, too small font sizes and a really boring font type(it looks like a DOS game from 1990, we live now in 2006!) -- use TrueTypes instead they are flexibler,easier to develope and are looking much better MUCH more professional, use more different font colors

- not the best key setting, use buttons to click on sth. instead of keys

+ clean look, but not great(beautiful), great city effect(houses,sky)

+ stable, fast, bugfree -- OK, this is now the best positive point. I havent seen this before in any 3dgs game. Lots of games are really low, not stable and have bugs and your game is here MUCH better. But note this is only my first impression.

Maybe I get time to test your game, but it's really complex. Keep it up, and improve your game.

ps: Do you know LittleFighter2? This is a 2d game too, but with a better gfx and animations. Maybe you can have a look on it.

mfg beegee

Fratch - Newer statistics panel for GameStudio
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: ulillillia] #197191
08/03/06 16:24
08/03/06 16:24
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
The quick review is somewhat out of the way... I did not notice it until I went looking for it (after you mentioned it). Perhaps I just wasnt looking hard enough. It is helpful, but I think it should be more noticable. To do that, I would not use a semi-transparent backdrop for the UI, period. There are too many light colors in the background. That mixed with the white text makes things somewhat hard to read.

Quote:

If you don't want the city, just use the visibility menu to take all buildings out

Dont get me wrong Ulillillia, I like the look of the actual game, its just the UI I dont like. Everything else is really good!

Quote:

As for the errors, there are several around.

Edit: I could add another feature in the menus to suppress the unimportant error messages (like the jump error, stomp error, and the related - load errors will never be suppressed).

As I said before, this is not a big deal, and should not be worried about...

Also, a side note... the F5 key still works. I can resize the resolution at will, regardless of what it sais in the main menu. Its just that the text dosent get any bigger...

Anyways, keep it up Ulillillia, It looks nice. Perhaps, for the UI, instead of making a solid backdrop, try and make it less transparent... That way, you could clearly see the text, and just bairly see the background buildings...

Good luck,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: Rad_Daddy] #197192
08/03/06 17:17
08/03/06 17:17
TheExpert Offline
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline
Senior Developer

why showcase 2 :
it's like lot of free or non free simple 3D games made with flash ?
simple really outdated graphics , simple levels ,
we can even found lot lot of 100 times better games on arcade emulators like
mario games etc ...

very strange to see it here ??

an the page in the site made me laught : special features : resolution :
640*480
and lot lot of very useless details about features we don't care.

we would pefer to see features like that :
- full physic engine included
- bump shader and lights applied to sprite via texture applied to a polygon
plane with transparency
- ragdoll incorpored on character
- some 3D environment objects even if 2D gameplay
etc ...

You have special forums on the net to make retro games why posting here ?

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: TheExpert] #197193
08/03/06 20:34
08/03/06 20:34
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
Quote:

Professional Gamestudio projects - screens & demos

Thats why...

Extensive discussion here...

Re: The Supernatural Olympics - project release [Re: TheExpert] #197194
08/03/06 20:41
08/03/06 20:41
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Quote:

You have special forums on the net to make retro games why posting here ?

Because it's 3dgs and being published?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de