Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 01:28
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 629 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200074
04/02/08 13:12
04/02/08 13:12
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
If you provide us with the art or a exported version of the level, sure why not? I'm not sure if it would run 'out of the box' or need adjustments to get good fps, but basically it shouldn't be impossible. Needless to say someone should do this to prove it I guess.

Just do it.

And regarding the questions towards resolution, game-play, fps and all the things coming up in every such discussions:
This is a pre-alpha video. It is even a leak of an internal video. The demo is not finished and there will come something bigger at GG as far as I know.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200075
04/02/08 13:14
04/02/08 13:14
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Scorpion:
Maybe you are right, maybe not. I can't tell because it is pure theory. I want to see it!

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200077
04/02/08 13:19
04/02/08 13:19
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Did you see the 'Warehouse' demo too? It's not perfect, but it does have very nice lighting and shadows and runs at very acceptable speeds on my PC. I think if one were to add some nice models with better animation and perhaps additional shaders it could very well look even better.

Start to move the camera in this demo. It is jerky. And look at the FPS. They are sometimes high sometimes about 30 FPS (without any shaders applied).

And look at the Ask-Conitec Forum. Almost all users were disappointed about this and the venice demo. Some of them even immadiatelly bought another engine after seeing those (I know 3 of them).
Something went really wrong with both official demos.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200078
04/02/08 13:30
04/02/08 13:30
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
I watched the movie and i'm also impressed.
If you played Gears of War on the XBOX360 like i did, you will notice that the quality is almost the same.

This shouldn't be a 3dgs vs. Torque thread IMO. I always hear "3dgs can also do such stuff" but i never saw someone showing me a proof for this. How should people believe that it can look like this?
Even if it does, you always have to sum up the time and work you put into such a project/graphic/whatever. Some engine are just easier to use than 3dgs while other are not, that's fact.

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #200079
04/02/08 13:40
04/02/08 13:40
Germany
Scorpion Offline
Serious User
Scorpion  Offline
Serious User

Germany
Yeah thats true...GS is great for programmers, but in this community are not so many skilled artists and that is representing for the enigne.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Scorpion] #200081
04/02/08 13:45
04/02/08 13:45
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Scorpion: Yes, I very much agree with you. A higher degree of artistical freedom in a tool-set will automatically attract more artists. They are not dumb and they try different tools and watch the market.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200082
04/02/08 13:51
04/02/08 13:51
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Did you see the 'Warehouse' demo too? It's not perfect, but it does have very nice lighting and shadows and runs at very acceptable speeds on my PC. I think if one were to add some nice models with better animation and perhaps additional shaders it could very well look even better.

Well I don't want to sound rude but imo the warehouse demo really wasn't a good example for the A7 capabilities. If you disagree have a look at that again:

And for a level that consists of only one medium-sized hall with not overdetailed interiors and except for that just some sprites or a skycube to fake some view the performance wasn't overwhelming at all...

Concerning the Torque video I have to say it looks nice although I also think the character isn't affected by shadows and light of the level. In addition to that there isn't much to show rather than an empty level and you can't tell much about the performance because you don't know what for a system was used to play this. But as it's only some kind of pre-alpha it definitely is looking like something promising...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Scorpion] #200086
04/02/08 13:54
04/02/08 13:54
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Great demo.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: ventilator] #200087
04/02/08 13:57
04/02/08 13:57
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
 Originally Posted By: ventilator
actually i am not impressed either. :p are those shadows realtime? doesn't look like it. the character doesn't seem to get affected by shadows but maybe i didn't see it properly because of the bad video quality.

I don't see any realtime shadows, too. What would it look like with realtime shadows? What would the frames per second look like then?

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Pappenheimer] #200090
04/02/08 14:12
04/02/08 14:12
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

This is a good question, Pappenheimer, we don't know.

But real-time shadows are no problem today as industry shows. Even indie engines like S2, C4 or Unity3d show this easily. I am pretty sure that TGEA can display real-time shadows but how fast this is? We will see.

I already mentioned. This is a work-in-progress demo. There will be more.
But I like to see such great scenery with good lighting, even if it is only static shadow-mapping.
Try to find a tool-set that can combine static shadowmaps with normal-mapping. I asked this question everywhere (Leadwerks, Irrlicht, A7, C4, Lawmaker). There are only a few engines that are able to do (TGEA, Source and UE3). The last ones use directional shadowmapping for this.
The developer of C4 said he will ever and only support dynamic shadows. This is the future and yes, he might be right in the long term.

Some of you know that this is not easy. A7 real-time shadows have many problems with camera volume or with affecting geometry behind walls and similar. Engines like C4 use shadow zones and other optimizations to prevent that. Then it renders where it should render and it is faster because of better culling.

This is only an example that beautiful real-time shadows don't have to be slow. So the FPS-comment is not always a reason to stay away from modern technologies.

Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de