Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,403 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200630
04/04/08 23:13
04/04/08 23:13
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Phemox is totally off in at least 2 points:

He says that the "evil" Torque trolls did not make any games. First of all show me your game!

First of all, I never said 'evil', that's what you make out of it. Apart from that, you've misunderstood my comment, but I doubt you'd understand anyway.

I've shown screenshots of work in progress on my website in the past. For various reasons I have not shown them here on the forums, mostly because it wasn't finished anyways. I definitely could show a few screenshots of my latest projects, but except from the fact that it proves that I am working on games, it doesn't prove A7 is on par with Unreal Tournament III, nor Torque for that matter and so on. The graphics really are okey, but no way near AAA. So, in a way it would be a waste of time showing my work in progress anyways because it would never be 'good enough'.

Quote:
And you suggest me to make the entire level in WED from blocks. Then I understand you perfectly, still living 10 years ago.

I never said WED blocks, I haven't made a level with blocks since the last version of A5. I in fact wondered if you tried to make a level inside WED instead of importing. You can stitch together models in WED too you know, instead of importing geometry. You should have figured that out by now. ;\)

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200666
04/05/08 08:44
04/05/08 08:44
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Okay, I explain it more deeply for you:
The advantage of static meshes in Torque Constructor, WED, Lawmaker or in the Irrlicht editor is: You can compile static shadow maps on top of the geometry. Every static mesh can cast and receive shadows (at least it should work like that, if the shadow compiler works properly and it does in all of the mentioned tools except of WED).

Now try that with models! It will not work in WED.
You have to bake shadows in another application. And since MDL 7 does not support more than one uv-set you have to find external rendering helpers as well.
If you bake everything into one texture then it will have very low resolution.

I hope that makes it more clear for you.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200668
04/05/08 09:16
04/05/08 09:16
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
and then the conclusion is,

GS needs a better light mapper, a better map compiler, and better editors.

radiosity lightmapper(beta),importing lightmaps from fbx(beta) ,Importing several UV coordinate sets for model textures(?)

are listed in forecast, but i think still there is alot more new things needed.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Quad] #200669
04/05/08 09:19
04/05/08 09:19
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Yes Quadraxas. This is a nice summary.

But don't rely on forecast features. Sometimes they vanished from their lists and sometimes they took 2-3 years to finish in the past.

Besides that an indoor scene-management is needed that works well with shaders.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200684
04/05/08 10:00
04/05/08 10:00
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
two are in beta, though. that's pretty promising. and i think there's enough demand for the second UV set that it'll almost definitely make it in.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200686
04/05/08 10:13
04/05/08 10:13
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
The advantage of static meshes in Torque Constructor, WED, Lawmaker or in the Irrlicht editor is: You can compile static shadow maps on top of the geometry. Every static mesh can cast and receive shadows (at least it should work like that, if the shadow compiler works properly and it does in all of the mentioned tools except of WED).

Now try that with models! It will not work in WED.
You have to bake shadows in another application. And since MDL 7 does not support more than one uv-set you have to find external rendering helpers as well.
If you bake everything into one texture then it will have very low resolution.

I hope that makes it more clear for you.

Yes, it does make it clear for me and yes this is the one point of critique I agree with. However it's not entirely true that it can't ever work with models, I've got per pixel lighting working (sort of as I'm not a shader guru) and stencil shadows work fine here, as said before though this is with A6 not A7. If the compiler is broken, it definitely needs a fix but I'm sure Conitec is working on this. As for the lighting issue, I hope they add that soon to A7, it will be a immediate reason for me to upgrade basically...

All this said and done though, as far as A6 is concerned suggesting that it's impossible to make nice games with A6 (or A7 once the compiler issues are fixed if that's a actual 'show-stopper' thing) is a bit weird,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200689
04/05/08 10:34
04/05/08 10:34
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:
If the compiler is broken, it definitely needs a fix but I'm sure Conitec is working on this

Yes. Absolutely. But the issue many customers have: A7 is at the market since July 2007. It has been announced in January 2007 and the beta was more than one year ago.
It still offers features that simply don't work, is still an incomplete and faulty release.
I don't blame JCL, he did not make the compiler and does not work on the tools. But it is a problem for Conitec and Gamestudio and of course a problem for customers working on real projects.

Pure forum users not working with A7 don't have to care about that. So I fully understand that users like Phemox don't have much trouble because of that. But I hope that users like him get a bit more understanding for the existing problems of A7 users with real projects that way.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200691
04/05/08 10:56
04/05/08 10:56
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Just out of curiosity, what are you always talking about that WED can not work properly with shadow maps? I am working with WED since 3 years and A7 WED since 1 year and it casts and receives shadows on top of geometry fine so far, and obviously for other people also, so what problem have you specific?

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Spirit] #200693
04/05/08 11:02
04/05/08 11:02
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Just import a static mesh in A7 and compile shadows! I am not the only one having problems with that. Even the beta forum was full of images describing this problem. Try it yourself! It will work with simple cubes but not with static models.

We already described that in all details here and on other places in this forum.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200695
04/05/08 11:06
04/05/08 11:06
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Excuse me, I import static meshes and compile shadows all the time, and see nothing in the bug forum about this "full of images describing this problem", so I really do not know what problem you have. Does if happen with some mesh you imported? If you have a problem, have you made a bug report to Conitec?

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de