Quote:
There were many changes in religious laws, in the character of god, and in god's covenant with Israel. At the beginning, it was a physical covenant, with god's duty to protect Israel by killing all its enemies. In the end, the covenant was spiritual only. Although Israel fulfilled their part after their return from the Babylonian exile, god never protected them against the Romans, and allowed full extinction in 130 AC. The character of the covenant and the character of their god had changed to Israel's misfortune.
I think that you have a limited understanding of the covenants involved in the Bible and that perhaps this is leading you to underestimate the unchanging nature of God. Thats ok though, thankfully I am here to inform you wink

If there is any constant which we can trace throughout the Bible it is the covenental framework. Covenants were initiated by God to:

Adam
(before sin)Gen 1:2
(after sin)Gen 3
Noah Gen 6-9
Abraham Gen 12-22
Moses Genesis 19:40/ Gal 3:14
The Nation of Israel(Palestine at the time) Deut 27-33
David (2 Sam 7; Psalm 89; Psalm 132)
The two houses of Israel and Judah (Jeremiah 31:31-34)
And finnally the everlasting covenant

All of the covenants have the same basic elements:
1)Words (including promises, terms, and an oath)
2)Blood (including a sacrifice, mediator, and sanctuary)
3)Seal (various signs, tokens, and seals)

All of the covenants had different durations, some were everlasting and some were temporal. This duration was linked to the fact that some covenants were revocable and some were irrevocable.

Revocable covenants are those in which God obligates Himself to fulfill the promises of those covenants based upon man's obedience to the attached conditions. I think that this was the case in your previous misunderstanding of the Mosaic covenant.

So in conclusion if you are to study the Bible closely you will indeed notice that God Himself, neither His framework with dealing with man through the covenants never changes throughout the entire Bible. He always uses this same framework of covenants, and each covenant has the same basic elements.

After the Bible is where people, institutions, councils, and religions start making all sorts of individual changes to religion.

Last edited by NITRO_2008; 05/14/08 12:40. Reason: added