by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, bigsmack, dr_panther), 1,204 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: amy] #217562
07/23/08 20:10
07/23/08 20:10
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: amy
I think there is some confusion going on here. I donīt know any engine which doesnīt use some kind of node based scene graph.

We were talking about C4
This engine does not only use a node based scene graph same as many other engines
Every object in C4 is a "node" or a "sub node "
You must write a custom " controller " class to edit a node for movement, animation, collision etc
Irrlicht is something similar
This engine architecture can be efficient, I am not arguing , but I am not surprised, either, if someone claims

Quote:
The C4 engine does look very good although i don't like it's node editing
approach

Last edited by AlbertoT; 07/23/08 20:13.
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: AlbertoT] #217628
07/24/08 05:59
07/24/08 05:59
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I understand you point AlbertoT. It is indeed a bit harder to get fully into Engines like Ogre, Irrlicht and C4 - even if there are some good beginners tutorials.

It takes more design before you start, more planning, more experience with classes, inheritance, virtual abstract classes, templates. But at the end it can ease your life if you once created the classes (like the controllers). Then all these objects help to create good reliable, well structured code, easy to read.

But it is hard. I went through this, refreshing my C++ knowledge intensively, doing tutorials, creating dynamic linked pointer lists and similar.

At the end our customers do not care if I had to write a controller or not. They just see a product and look at graphics and feel how it controls. They will not ask me how comfortable I was with the programming language.

And I learned a lot about good object oriented programming that can be easily transferred to ObjectPascal, Java or C#. It is similar in all these languages. I am happy that I went through this.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: Machinery_Frank] #217801
07/24/08 21:38
07/24/08 21:38
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline OP
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline OP
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/forums/result.thread.php?qt=74807

Awesome thread here. And no I'm not a member of that community, although they seem like great intelligent people.

Right now Leadwerks 2.0 looks like my best bet. I know, it requires stuff most people don't have on their PCs. But think about this, in a few years shader 3.0 will become standard on economical PCs like my own, and my game will be in development for several years. Why not pick something that is way out there? By the time it's done people will have the technology to play it. People tell me to stay away from that stuff because "it won't run on older PCs" well when I'm done the technology will have aged.

I understand Leadwerks right now has some stability issues, also I'm stuck at shader 2.0 right now. So I need a new PC. While I'm saving for that more updates will come out for leadwerks and I can prototype in 3DGS and continue modeling and level editing.

After reading their message board, it seems like most people on there came from A7 or TGEA, and they wanted next gen. They also seem very happy with it and the CEO is constantly on the boards taking suggestions and answering questions. So it looks like the engine will truly turn out the way it's supposed to be.

Also I'll probably buy 3D World Editor as it looks like a great affordable tool.

I appreciate all the help people. smile This really made my research faster. I still need a lot of tools but this is my main piece.

Check out my site http://foxzero.net
My band's website
http://wolf-hybrid.net

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: FoxZero] #217805
07/24/08 21:49
07/24/08 21:49
Germany
T
tkunze Offline
tkunze  Offline
T

Germany
I also did some investigation on leadwerks engine. What i understood is that they have a new World Editor called Sandbox which ships with the software, so i do not know if the 3d World editor is still necessary.

Video on YouTube

Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: Slin] #217808
07/24/08 22:11
07/24/08 22:11
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Slin
AlbertoT, what is the problem with something streight forward like this (I didnīt really understand the usefullness of those animators from the tutorial yet...): node->setPosition(vector3df(10,0,100));

It is what I was wondering myself
Of course there is no problem for : node->setPosition(vector3df(10,0,100));
But what's the reason " animators " ?
They are something similar ro the C4 "Controllers", see my previous post
What's the advantage ?
At first glance they seem to me just useless complication

Does anybody know the answer ?

Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: tkunze] #217821
07/25/08 00:10
07/25/08 00:10
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline OP
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline OP
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: tkunze
I also did some investigation on leadwerks engine. What i understood is that they have a new World Editor called Sandbox which ships with the software, so i do not know if the 3d World editor is still necessary.

Video on YouTube

I saw that video. It looks enticing. It's a bit different from 3D World Editor and I doubt it makes it obsolete.

Leadwerks still has some quirks and not all of its features are implemented, but so far it is very powerful and has come a tremendous distance and such a short period of time.

By the time I get the appropriate hardware and the cash for the engine I believe it will be further along.

Another thing I like about it is your options of coding language, it gives the coder the ability to use the language they are most comfortable with (as far as I know).

My band's website

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: FoxZero] #217830
07/25/08 02:35
07/25/08 02:35
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
Wasn't too impressed with the editor, but the scene/shaders/lighting was beautiful!

I've been working with XNA a lot recently, really enjoying the freedom. Though with freedom, comes responsibility, so here's alot more to program...

I've setup an entity and view system so far, and creating clones of some GS functions (ent_create/remove(), vec_rotate(), etc)

I wish I had more than two weeks left though...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: xXxGuitar511] #217832
07/25/08 02:57
07/25/08 02:57
Pennsylvania, USA
FoxZero Offline OP
Serious User
FoxZero  Offline OP
Serious User

Pennsylvania, USA
Wait, is there some kind of demo of Leadworks I could download? I could try it on my dad's PC. I honestly couldn't find one lol. There are a number of reasons why Leadwerks fits my game, however I would be worried about things going sour in its development since it's so young.

So XNA might be a potential? I need to do more reading on it. Honestly I don't see the point in me downloading it with all the required programs as I am no coder.

My band's website

R.I.P. Dave Williams
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: FoxZero] #217840
07/25/08 05:01
07/25/08 05:01
India
M
msl_manni Offline
msl_manni  Offline
M

India
Leadworks 2.1
1. Unified lighting system. Shader model 3.0 needed.
2. Supports Newton Physics.
3. Supports every mesh type, converted to native format.

The new lighting system through shaders is realtime via post processing shader, so there is no need for shadow maps. It is absolutely fantastic lighting system.

one can ctreate mesh geometry in max3d and such. The BSP system of collisions has been dropped, I think. And newton physics colissions take care of colissions with the world. Which again is very robust.

All in all this is the best and affordable 3d game engine. It is futuristic and as the trend is going, shader model 3.0 will be normal for all PC's.

BTW there is no demo mode available now, but if requested to the developer, might convince him for supplying a demo mode. I am keen to purchase this 3dengine, but will have to wait, as it needs hardware upgrade too.LOL.

My Specialities Limited.
Re: Middleware engine/ suites [Re: xXxGuitar511] #217996
07/25/08 20:09
07/25/08 20:09
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

I've been working with XNA a lot recently, really enjoying the freedom. Though with freedom, comes responsibility, so here's alot more to program...

I've setup an entity and view system so far, and creating clones of some GS functions (ent_create/remove(), vec_rotate(), etc)

I am also studying XNA 2.0
same as you I like the freedom but we must be realistic , too
maybe some nerd on GameDev.net can dream to develop an AAA game starting from XNA but between vec_rotate() and C4 there is the Pacific ocean

Last edited by AlbertoT; 07/25/08 20:10.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de