C4 Engine

I have seen a lot of advertisement for the C4 engine and i agree it is worth spending the 200$ because it includes life time updates.

However i still think there is some way to go and a lot of the nice features in the discussion are not in the release you get at the moment (extended terrain functionallity, specific huge outdoor level suppport).

The script editor is now extended to provide variables, loops and conditions which was not possible before the beginning of this month so for me it was useless before.

You need really good C++ skills for using the engine and a big downside for me is the lack of a good documentation and sample application. But there is a good community and you get direct support from the devloper(s)? with a very good response time.

But how will this work if the community grows?

The developer of the engine obviously knows the game development business and for me he targets the right topics in future development.

My Conclusion:

If you focus on outdoor and terrain i do not see C4 ready at the moment. But i will monitor the development of this engine because there it looks it will become a very strong package in the future.

Torque Engine

i spend 6 month with torque and i owned all licenses and books. But it does not fit for me. My impression is that it works for everything which is close to what torque was designed for (shooter and racing game). But it gets very hard if you want something different.

The import of models is a little bit tricky and time consuming but this is also true for C4.

What i really liked is the world editor and the outdoor support (water, terrain ...).
This is very handy and easy to use.

So in my opinion if you want to build an shooter with huge outdoor levels torque is worth to do some investigation.