Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: PHeMoX] #217256
07/22/08 10:57
07/22/08 10:57
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

i fear that this is becoming a does-he-exist-or-not-thread. that was not my intention. discussions about a "scientific" or historical" proof are leading into nowhere, since we can't proove it or proove it wrong, it's a thing of belief, and solely of belief. and, honestly, i don't feel the urge to proof christ's or god's existence, either you believe it, or not. for those who believe, i wanted to know if their faith is jointed to the need of having a (noncorporal?) god image, if their faith requires the idea a living mentor, caretaker, mastermind, or if jesus' living example of how a (hu)man could be would suffice but, as i see it, this question is already taken as an attack on christianity, too bad.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #217368
07/22/08 20:41
07/22/08 20:41
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Well, actually your initial question was quite different

Basically you asked whether a Spinoza \Einstein's God, can make sense also in the light of modern Physics

I am not a religious guy but it would hard to me to beleive in a non personal God
Phanteism is, in my opinion, a synonimous with atheism

Moreover the equation E = M*C^2 does not claim what you ( and many others ) seem to beleive, as far as I can understand from your post

This is a commmon misconception of the equation

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: AlbertoT] #217387
07/22/08 21:32
07/22/08 21:32
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

i have never said a single word about einstein, i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion. and i wrote, from the very beginning, that this thread was not be seen as a scientific discussion, but a question of belief.

i did not have physics in mind. in fact, i asked these questions myself after reading nietzsche's "thus spoke zarathustra", that's why i wanted to turn it into a more philsosphical discussion, not a discussion about equations, scientific proof, or physics.

moreover, it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #217420
07/23/08 01:57
07/23/08 01:57
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

Quote:
i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion.

So no attempts at self-serving illusions of certainty for events lost and found in the mutable mists of history?

Your reply seems more honest and wise than claims for stances held by a faction not necessarily present to substantiate and update positions. Many speak for the dead, and claim members from the lost faction for their own selfish purposes, but the very same may be the first to refuse stronger claims of membership by that larger of factions.

Supposedly, that is the paraphrased form of the quote.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #217559
07/23/08 19:48
07/23/08 19:48
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: broozar
it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

Hey ...it was you who asked the question

Quote:

is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang)..?

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #217593
07/23/08 23:06
07/23/08 23:06
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: broozar
i have never said a single word about einstein, i didn't even know about his attitude towards religion. and i wrote, from the very beginning, that this thread was not be seen as a scientific discussion, but a question of belief.

Just my curiosity, but why?

Quote:
i did not have physics in mind. in fact, i asked these questions myself after reading nietzsche's "thus spoke zarathustra", that's why i wanted to turn it into a more philsosphical discussion, not a discussion about equations, scientific proof, or physics.

I think that's where it inevitably went wrong. Philosophical discussions are great, but you can't deny scientific knowledge just because you don't like it... In general that's usually why it doesn't make much sense to argue with a religious person, they will deny what we do know and go by pure faith.

Quote:
moreover, it seems to me that most people think they know everything about einstein by just quoting the famous equation. popular science... well. keep it out of this discussion, please.

I agree with Alberto here, you asked the question yourself.. as a non-religious person it's pretty much unavoidable to think about physics and general implications of such a God.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: PHeMoX] #218206
07/27/08 07:25
07/27/08 07:25
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

Quote:
Philosophical discussions are great, but you can't deny scientific knowledge just because you don't like it...

It seems the term philosophy has different meanings.
I had the impression that the thread was partially weighted in a mental exercise, with bounds which might be atypical from some perspectives.
(Impressions vary, and mine are far too often leagues away from any valued mark.)

If such ~imaginative play was the focus, it might be taken for granted that injections of hard scientific expression can quickly spin the aim of the game amiss.
There may have been a very specific, desired direction, or at least, potentially a number of known unfavorable directions, for what the thread source was seeking, if it was seeking.
(Expiration is preferred for the thread source, but conflict of interest is avoided, unless bad taste is more than sufficient, so that the strain is made ~enjoyable.)

(Where does the first mention of term "Einstein" appear?)

Quote:
I think that's where it inevitably went wrong.

Quote:
In general that's usually why it doesn't make much sense to argue with a religious person, they will deny what we do know and go by pure faith.

(The ~they tend to almost always repeatedly, flow with ill and wrong, in nearly the same cycling ways.
Collusion must be avoided, so there ~they are.
Let it go, or let it and they eat you.)
So, on many sides, as usual, it went wrong with attitudes, lack of understanding, obstructive needs of self (selfishness), bias, accumulated prejudice, embedded malignant stances, etc. ???
(If so, it's good to be included in the party.
Any will do, if the selection carries guilt and feeds opposition, naturally.)

This or that, gods / faith and knowledge / science, here and there, are many mind constructs of a being so lofty it fails at simple unity gains?

:collapsed:

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: tD_Datura_v] #218225
07/27/08 11:21
07/27/08 11:21
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
It has little to do with my attitude towards religion, I actually am really open minded on the subject and like to discuss whatever other people think about it.

I think to some extent threads like this will not work when 'special' rules are in effect.

Quote:
It seems the term philosophy has different meanings.

I see what you mean, but I made my comment only in context of wondering how a thread like this would be meaningful when science is discarded as if it doesn't exist.

Quote:
This or that, gods / faith and knowledge / science, here and there, are many mind constructs of a being so lofty it fails at simple unity gains?

Yes, but religion never is about uniting anyone... instead it without exception will create a 'us and them' issue, used to keep people in one group under their control. Manipulation everywhere off course, but there's no reason to fear anything when there's no hostile outside, even if that's not actually real, but just a claim.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: PHeMoX] #218271
07/27/08 15:14
07/27/08 15:14
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

Quote:
It has little to do with my attitude towards religion, I actually am really open minded on the subject and like to discuss whatever other people think about it.

Some / much of the nonsensical garbage spewed under duress, should find no specific target, and for attitudes particularly, there may be far too many to target effectively, without ~revision.

My attitude doesn't exactly sparkle.

Quote:
I think to some extent threads like this will not work when 'special' rules are in effect.

Indeed. There may be evidence for that here, however, the notion may carry less weight, when it is offered by parties which seemingly played a significant role in securing events, which were just prior, termed ~evidence.
1. cake arrives in location periodically.
2. cake is intentionally bumped to the floor repeatedly by the same entities.
3. entities suggest cake is not well placed, and certainly the point is fair somewhat, as it has fallen to the floor again and again.

Quote:
Yes, but religion never is about uniting anyone... instead it without exception will create a 'us and them' issue, used to keep people in one group under their control.

Group some, divide others and maintain power, is it?

Quote:

religion
*attitude is fine, I am actually really open minded on the subject
*like to discuss whatever other people think about it
*religion is never about uniting anyone
*it is used to keep people in one group
*without exception, it will create a 'us and them' issue

No disrespect intended on this vein, but I could almost assume certain apparent contradictions are intentionally provided for enjoyment.
Such an assumption would certainly be biased, in favor of jest and delight, which is my preference indeed.

Quote:
Manipulation everywhere off course,

"In the names of power and greed, divide and conquer, and group as necessary.
When one ~devil becomes tiresome, there should always be another."
"Let them focus on what divides, spreading it back and forth freely, and beyond that, with not much more prompting, they shall further promote division back into itself."

Quote:
but there's no reason to fear anything when there's no hostile outside, even if that's not actually real, but just a claim.

There is a reply to this, but at the moment, it is time to collapse again, so maybe another may offer it better, in my stead.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: tD_Datura_v] #218278
07/27/08 15:57
07/27/08 15:57
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

religion
*attitude is fine, I am actually really open minded on the subject
*like to discuss whatever other people think about it
*religion is never about uniting anyone
*it is used to keep people in one group
*without exception, it will create a 'us and them' issue

No disrespect intended on this vein, but I could almost assume certain apparent contradictions are intentionally provided for enjoyment.
Such an assumption would certainly be biased, in favor of jest and delight, which is my preference indeed.

Mmm, contradicting because you do not think those last three points are valid? Those last three points can be observed, but it takes the perspective of an 'outsider' I guess, as many from within such groups do not see it like this.

Anyways, I'm more interested in the human psychology behind it all, the sometimes (or often, choose your pick wink ) crazy details of religions are like a bonus and can indeed be very entertaining, but at no time I think disrespectful of the people that do believe in these things. That in itself might sound contradictory, but I don't think it is or must be.

Cheers

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite