Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, dpn), 1,346 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: Joozey] #224608
08/31/08 09:50
08/31/08 09:50
Guangzhou China
bomber Offline
bomber  Offline

Guangzhou China
Originally Posted By: Joozey

Take Uru as an example. Nobody was happy with this 3d non-photorealistic puzzlegame variant of Myst, but it was still beautiful. They made a whole MMORPG out of it with various ages, lands and since it's only about exploring and finding new stunning areas, the focus was on the level design.

I always thought that the old Runescape(not the new hd version),had rubbish graphix, but it is stil very popular!

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."
————Donald Rumfeld
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: testDummy] #224873
09/01/08 18:42
09/01/08 18:42
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Joozey
Take Uru as an example. Nobody was happy with this 3d non-photorealistic puzzlegame variant of Myst, but it was still beautiful. They made a whole MMORPG out of it with various ages, lands and since it's only about exploring and finding new stunning areas, the focus was on the level design.

I always thought that the old Runescape(not the new hd version),had rubbish graphix, but it is stil very popular!

Runescape?! What are you talking about :P.
www.mystonline.com

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: Joozey] #225264
09/03/08 18:14
09/03/08 18:14
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
RuneScape, a game I started playing when there was only one server/world.

Well I personally have to say that level design has "terrains" in the definition. Good terrain design allows good level design to be used.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: Inestical] #225269
09/03/08 19:11
09/03/08 19:11
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

so, what is good level design?

1. short walks. let the player have action, adventure, or whatever because he is playing a _game_, not a landscape simulator.
2. few repetiton, it's no good sign if you have already seen that corridor once. and there's another one that looks exactly the same. bah.
3. revisit places from different angles/in different states. e.g., you crawl under a room in a vent shaft, see a lot of guards, then enter the room and know where they are.
4. connected rooms. you see a door that's closed, have to make a detour, and can open the door from the other side, so the level is "connected" and not just a long corridor with some rooms or a plane with buildings.
5. multiple levels (height). don't forget that you are in a 3 dimensional space. i dont only want to go left and right, but also jump, use elevators, ladders, crawlspaces, sewers etc.
6. nice, yet unseen architecture.
7. central map objects like a reactor core, a prison, a bridge, or whatever.

terrains certainly fail in 1, 3, 4, 5.

Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: broozar] #225279
09/03/08 20:00
09/03/08 20:00
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
your first one is dumb. short walks??? you can still have action while walking, makes no sense to say a vast area has less action.

Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: lostclimate] #225282
09/03/08 20:07
09/03/08 20:07
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

it can be. but that's reality: do a job in stalker/oblivion/gothic3 in level/town xyz and run all the way back to your boss, which can take 10 minutes and even more, depending on the game.

get a job in quake4 (shutdown terminal/gun/xyz), and a door opens where you can see your squad and regroup, so there is no traveling back over hill and dale.

Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: Slin] #225509
09/04/08 21:20
09/04/08 21:20
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Slin
Games which do have some great leveldesign but no real terrains are in my opinion "beyond good and evil" and "half life 2". Both do have outdoorlevels which aren´t blocky, but they aren´t very complex and not very big. But I think that those games do show that it could be possible to have great level design even with terrain.

I think terrains, as in the vast modern plains with some hills here and there is vastly overrated content anyways. At least in most games.

Did I enjoy running through some hills, seeing a lot of the same trees nearly all the time in Oblivion? Well.. it had it's charms as there was sóme design to it, but I think the level design could have been a lot better still.

I definitely prefer real hardcore 'level-designed' games like Tombraider, God of War, Max Payne and so on.

Do games really have to have huge terrains now, just because hardware can handle it now? I don't know..

Quote:
it can be. but that's reality: do a job in stalker/oblivion/gothic3 in level/town xyz and run all the way back to your boss, which can take 10 minutes and even more, depending on the game.

get a job in quake4 (shutdown terminal/gun/xyz), and a door opens where you can see your squad and regroup, so there is no traveling back over hill and dale.

Excellent point. When it comes to scenery it can be nice to look at, but when it comes to gameplay... there's so much pointless travel in some games nowadays. In fact, nowadays developers think of 'clever' ways to make this more bearable, like adding horses or teleports.. But the sheer irony of that is of course that the vast size of the terrains then suddenly becomes even less important to the game.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: PHeMoX] #225521
09/04/08 22:44
09/04/08 22:44
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
"Max Payne"

The enjoyable thing about max payne is that every part of the game had some purpose, and you could see what it was used for in day to day life before the story took place. A very functional type of design.

Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: lostclimate] #225777
09/05/08 23:13
09/05/08 23:13
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Jedi Outcast has ingenious level design as well. I recently started playing it again. No terrains whatsoever, only blocks and models. Everything is connected and you visit places sometimes more than 4 times on your path and thinking: "Ooooh, thís is how the building looks like". Taking a long walk killing imperial guards and stormtroopers, open a door and you're back at the start, but achieving that shortcut makes everything very clear and easy.

So in that context, I totaly agree terrains killed that aspect of gameplay.
A combination is still the best though.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: once there was level design. then terrain killed it [Re: Joozey] #226050
09/07/08 16:26
09/07/08 16:26
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
This is not true. Did somebody play the game "Overlord"? It uses terrain (and indoors as well) but does exactly what Joozey desribes in the last post: You walk a certain path to kill some enemies and to find a magic object. At the end you lower a bridge and you stand exactly where you started this path just to go on to the next adventure. Very cleverly done.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de