Originally Posted By: Joozey
Of course everyone has had problems with multiplayer. I too have done multiplayer. I created a chat and some small game for 2 players. Worked great. Never tried more because I don't have the people to test more, but I don't think it's all that hard to create a 24 player game with GSTNet or raknet, or even create your own plugin. I found a good network tutorial, and I'm sure there are more.

Try it for yourself, try to use multiple zones, try adding more than about 10-20 players... really, it's not as easy as you think it is.

I never said it's impossible with 3dgs, but I gave up on multiplayer at least for now. You can blame my scripting/coding skills, but that's only a part of the issue, as the actual coding is not the problem. Optimizing things and so on is!

Quote:
As I said, advertisement of gamestudio never stated it was all possible with only the native functions. It just stated that it is possible. Whether you think that's a lame argument or not has not much to do with marketing smile.

Well to be honest with you, yes I do think that's a very lame statement indeed. I also think it's pointless to mention how 'virtually everything is possible' as long as you extend the engine through plug-ins, external tools and what not... as that's obviously not the point here.

Quote:
No, most of the forecast things are not available in plugins, but multiplayer most certainly is. Nsf42 made GSTNet, and you get alot further with it than the native functions. A browser plugin, on the other hand, is not publicly available at all.

...and your point is what? That not all those plug-ins for features we the users would like to see in 3dgs are made yet or made publicly available or that we must be satisfied and not complain because there are plug-ins that provides multiplayer capabilities besides the native functions of 3dgs?

Again it's totally not the point here. I for one would like to just use the native functions (as advertised imho) and somehow I think it's only fair to expect them to work better when used in actual games.

Quote:
A browser plugin, on the other hand, is not publicly available at all.

Well, there definitely was a plug-in in development, but I don't know whether it's still work in progress, finished or abandoned by now.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software