Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,382 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? #205655
05/07/08 19:53
05/07/08 19:53
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
I'm thinking of buying a tablet notebook, possibly one of these:

xxod 120r (sorry, dutch only)
ASUS R1F A2
hp Pavilion tx2100

But I hear various opinions from people about those things

Positive opinions:
They look great to work with and handy for presentating/sharing your screen with other people as well, as the screens are freely rotateable to all directions. The touchscreen feature increases workflow of graphic design and project teamworking. Multiple people can interact without the need of handing over a mouse, turn the whole notebook the other direction etc. Just lay it flat (screen up) on the table and go! .

Negative rumours:
Some say they are very fragile, and break off / take damage very quick and easy (considered I'm not thát careful with my stuff either hehe). The hand-touch feature is not nearly as good as it is advertised (often inaccurate or fails to recognise your finger movement at all) but the pen-touch versions, on the other hand, do very well. I do want a hand-touchscreen instead of just a pencil, so this inaccuracity is something I take in my concideration.

I wonder if people here have experience with them and can extend, verify or prove the contrary of the things I described above.

Or drop a line with just your opinion \:\) .

Thanx

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #205879
05/09/08 10:47
05/09/08 10:47
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Are there really so few opinions? \:D

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #205907
05/09/08 14:06
05/09/08 14:06
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
Some say they are very fragile, and break off / take damage very quick and easy (considered I'm not thát careful with my stuff either hehe). The hand-touch feature is not nearly as good as it is advertised (often inaccurate or fails to recognise your finger movement at all) but the pen-touch versions, on the other hand, do very well. I do want a hand-touchscreen instead of just a pencil, so this inaccuracity is something I take in my concideration.

My dad has a tablet notebook and although it looks fragile, it never broke. Still, you do have to be careful with it, more careful than with a normal laptop. As for the inaccuracies, those critics are probably exaggerating. The accuracy on the tablet my dad has is very good and honestly it's a pretty old tablet notebook (read: year or 2 old).

They are great to work on, the only thing I didn't like was the fact that it was a 12" inch or so screen. WAY small.

Apart from that, pretty cool computers. HP and Acer have a pretty long history making them and generally those are very good.

Last edited by PHeMoX; 05/09/08 14:08. Reason: mistakessss

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: PHeMoX] #205941
05/09/08 17:29
05/09/08 17:29
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Thanx for clearing that up \:\)

I thought ASUS was the one with a long history, and HP is only making them since a short time? ASUS does have alot of models already, whileas HP I can't find alot about it other than the most recent releases...

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #206162
05/11/08 18:36
05/11/08 18:36

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

I own a Fujitsu/Siemens LIFEBOOK T-series for about 3 months.
LIFEBOOK

My first choice was also ASUS bacause of the lower price but the LIFEBOOK's not much more and I've good experiences with Fujitsu.

I like it very much and it's very robust.
Sound is ok and battery lasts for ~2h playing (~3h programming).
GFX is fast but has no shader-support.
Tablet only accessable by pen (not by finger) but thats not a problem for me.
The screen is very good and has a wide angle of view.

Most benefit of a tablet pc for me:
- designing games concepts for touch-screen-systems (this is the future of mobile gaming!)
- texturing/painting is very easy (->ArtRage)

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #206169
05/11/08 19:43
05/11/08 19:43
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Joozey
Thanx for clearing that up \:\)

I thought ASUS was the one with a long history, and HP is only making them since a short time? ASUS does have alot of models already, whileas HP I can't find alot about it other than the most recent releases...

ASUS is one of the bigger players as well, but always has been less popular (at least as far as I know).

Yeah, HP tends to clean up their discontinued products from their sites for marketing purposes. They are in the tablet PC business for a LONG time though.

The info on Wikipedia on tablet PCs has some more information on which companies made or make tablet PCs;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

Code:
Major tablet PC Manufacturers include Acer, Asus, Fujitsu, Gateway, Inc., Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Lenovo Group, LG Electronics, NEC, Panasonic and Toshiba.

Popular models include:

[edit] Slate

* PaceBlade SlimBook 200
    * Fujitsu Stylistic ST5010, ST5111, ST5112
    * Electrovaya Scribbler SC4000 series (older: SC2000, SC3000, SC3100)
    * MobileDemand xTablet T8600 Rugged Tablet PC
    * Motion M1200, M1300, M1400, LE-Series, C5, LS800, LE 1700 and C5 which is targeted towards the healthcare industry
    * JLT8404 Field Tablet PC
    * Panasonic Toughbook 08
    * TabletKiosk Sahara i400 series
    * Samsung Q1 (Q1 Ultra)
    * Nokia 770, N800, and N810
    * SonyEricsson P990
    * Xplore Technologies
    * COWON Q5W
    * Axiotron Modbook

[edit] Convertible

* Acer TravelMate C100/C300/C310
    * Asus R1F
    * Asus R1E
    * Averatec C3500 Series
    * Dialogue Flybook V5
    * Dell Latitude XT
    * Fujitsu LifeBook P1610(Slim, Ultra-portable, Small)/T4020, /T4210, /T4220 /T2010 (Latest)
    * Gateway C-140X (aka S-7235/E-295C)
    * Gateway C-120X (aka S-7125C/E-155C)
    * HP Compaq TC4200/TC4400
    * HP Compaq 2710p
    * HP Pavilion tx1000 Entertainment PC
    * HP Pavilion tx2000
    * Lenovo ThinkPad X41
    * Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet (known popularly as "X60t")
    * Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet
    * LG XNote C1
    * LG LT-20-47CE
    * Panasonic Toughbook 19
    * Toshiba Portégé 3500/3505
    * Toshiba Portégé M200
    * Toshiba Portégé M400/405/700
    * Toshiba Portégé R400/405
    * Toshiba Satellite R10/R15/R20/R25
    * Toshiba Tecra M4/M7

[edit] Hybrid

* Compaq TC1000
    * HP Compaq TC1100
    * Tatung Tangy

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #206377
05/13/08 09:33
05/13/08 09:33
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Sorry Joozey... didn't see this thread.

My First: Toshiba Portégé 3500/3505 (still my favorite!)
My Second: Toshiba Portégé R400/405
My Current: Toshiba Satellite R10/R15/R20/R25

I've had a tablet for about 5 years. Yeah, pretty much since they came out. I bought a TOSHIBA once, own a toshiba now, and will buy another in the future. Can't speak to the other brands but toshiba was the first to have the swivel screen and they are still the best IMO.

Fragile? Hmmm... I've taken mine to the top of the andes, to the deserts of atacma, to the depths of patagonia, and the the wet virgin island. In the last two years, my current has been my main computer, has had wine spilled on it, hot ahes fall on the screen, been used as a coaster, and has been dropped innumerable times.

Still works fine.

Oh, and when doesn't, buy into the 300 USD or so "replacement" warranty... it's basically a free tablet every year if you know what I mean.

Tablets are great and once the form factor perfects (better battery, smaller weight, better on board bus, etc), they will be serious competition to the pda/mobile market. I use mine to sign signatures on invoices, draw sketches for my projects, control ppt presentations, and more.

Can you tell I'm as much as fanboy of tablets as I am of GS? smile

(PS: I have no experience with the touchscreen. It sounds very neat but I would not be surprised that it's not all it's cracked up to be. And for the most part a pen is preferable since your fingers will never end in a sharp tip. Like the tablet pens, the second generation of touchscreens should be significantly better than the first. But even then, for the way I use it, it is still very much a novelty and not a huge improvement to the tablet experience that I'm aware of.)

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: fastlane69] #206815
05/15/08 19:52
05/15/08 19:52
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Thanx alot for your inputs smile that sure helps me alot and pushes me in the direction of what to buy (and what not :P). I was thinking of something small and quite solid-looking, because those seem not too fragile hehe, but I might need to adapt my view there.

@mercuryus:
According to the specs of the fujitu notebook, it does support Pixelshader 2.0, don't know if you have a different version? smile It's a very nice notebook but over 1700 euro is a little bit over my budget. Perhaps they will release some new models somewhere soon and drop the price of this one ^^. I'll keep track of it.

@PHeMoX:
About ASUS, I don't know about their tablet notebooks, but their normal ones are pretty popular here (where here is my school :P) together with HP and Acer, most people seem to earn an ASUS. But as I said, might be a different story with tablets.

@fastlane69:
Either you are unconsciously very carefull or it really is a strong notebook smile. I definately put toshiba on my list to check out their models. 1300$ for the satelite R25 sounds like a very reasonable price. Maybe I should just look for a pen instead of a touch, saves alot in price as well hehe. Point is that I don't like the dependency of taking that pencil everywhere (even if you cán store it inside the laptop, it's still a 'third pary' object, if you know what I mean :P).

And yes, tablet notepads sure threaten the PDA, they already should on gameing area ^^. But the mobile will never extinct. I wouldn't walk over the street with a 15 inch notepad against my ear... ^^. Fun to speculate what the future will bring us though.

May still take a while before I buy one (probably after summerholidays, but I hope a little earlier) and just hoping that this laptop keeps it up till then laugh .

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #223142
08/22/08 13:41
08/22/08 13:41
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Well, 3 months later I now purchased my tablet notebook ^^.

It's this same Asus R1E that I bought (not my video):

Until now I'm very content with it. It's a tad smaller than my current (non touch) laptop, which is actually very comfortable smile. Kicking of windows Vista and install XP first, then time to install and transfer all my programs and projects, and see how much better it works ^^.

Thanks all for reviewing you opinions here! It definately helped me on my search.

Re: Opinions/experiences with a tablet notebook? [Re: Joozey] #223143
08/22/08 13:43
08/22/08 13:43
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I would stick to Vista, getting the right drivers otherwise could be a nightmare... but do keep us posted. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de