Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,397 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine #22439
01/27/04 00:47
01/27/04 00:47
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Ok so I am now thinking about phsics, and after dipping my metephorical tow into the shallow end of the pool, I am already baffled & confused. So I have a few questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

Havok, GS PE, Newton....

From what I can tell Havok is a phsics engine for the high-end developer. With multi-platform support and extream power and flexability. As such to use Havok would require high-cost as well as proving your game to them, to even get a demo. Used in some big titles such as MaxPayne2 (as I am informed). As such it is not available to most of us, but if it was, would it integrate with GS?

As for the other two, PE I know little about, I read here most advice pointed to Newton, so that is what I have looked at (demo level from their site), which is buggy but does showcase some of the phsics needed, including limited Rag-Doll. The demo show (IMHO) that Newton is not really complete but is getting close to it. I have not seen anything using GS PE (If thats its title).

So presuming that Havok is unavailable, and/or does not work with GS, what is the best route to go, when trying to achieve the following:

Rag-Doll for all bi-ped models, including the player and enemies(though this may not be player in the usual GS terms). Material/Fabric that moves accuratly, i.e hanging drapes that move as models pass through it. (Presume this uses bones/key physics points to animate).

Moving water surface, as with the fabric above, but with ripple control, i,e as objects more through the model, waves are created. (I am not talking about graphics that create the illusion, but actually moving the water surface (as seen in the title Prince of Persia for PS2), according to interaction.

Also standard things like object-object collision, weight/mass/velocity modifiers as well other elementary physics are a must. So what route to take? Which Physics engine to use if any of the above?

I would appreciate your comments, thoughts and advice.

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: indiGLOW] #22440
01/27/04 01:12
01/27/04 01:12
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Havok is by far the most superior physics engine there is to date. However I very much doubt how it would implement with 3dgs. Might be possible, but I doubt it. Your next best option would be Newton, which is much better than 3DGS PE because it is easier to use and also available for all editions.

-Rhuarc

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: indiGLOW] #22441
01/27/04 04:08
01/27/04 04:08
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
Quote:

Havok is by far the most superior physics engine there is to date.

Superior is a bad word - popular yes, but not really superior. There are a lot of 3rd party physics engines which are more accurate than Havok (which is mostly built to just make people laugh at the way the bodies fall over).

Quote:

However I very much doubt how it would implement with 3dgs. Might be possible, but I doubt it.

If you have the money for Havok (or one of the other high dollar engines) integration is not a problem. Not only will their customer support people work with you to ensure their product performs well in your game (otherwise it looks bad on them) but you also should be able to put a body on the task of integration. It should be no harder than the task which Newton did integrating his engine with 3DGS - and he pulled that off in record speed.

Quote:

Rag-Doll for all bi-ped models, including the player and enemies(though this may not be player in the usual GS terms).

For this I either Newton of the GS PE should work equally well. You will need to develop a method of affecting the model with hinge constraints though. You should be able to script it to work on bones - though you could also use a segmented model as opposed to single mesh.

Quote:

Material/Fabric that moves accuratly, i.e hanging drapes that move as models pass through it. (Presume this uses bones/key physics points to animate).

Create your own. This is hard to do with a physics engine, and is generally better off handle by a custom deformer which acts as though it were real physics. If you wanted to get crazy though - you could create a latice using vertices and collision bodies which react to player movement. However for things like hair/clothing - there is no air to react with - so you will need to be a bit more creative here.

Quote:

Moving water surface, as with the fabric above, but with ripple control, i,e as objects more through the model, waves are created. (I am not talking about graphics that create the illusion, but actually moving the water surface (as seen in the title Prince of Persia for PS2), according to interaction.

I remember reading a white paper on RT fluid dynamics. They are really still in their infancy. While I have not looked at Prince of Persia - my guess would be that it is just really good illusions (shaders and a mesh deformation routine). This is something that has not been (to my knowledge) ever done in any published title.

Quote:

Also standard things like object-object collision, weight/mass/velocity modifiers as well other elementary physics are a must. So what route to take? Which Physics engine to use if any of the above?

All of the above. Havok could be integrated assuming you could get it. Newton and GS PE can work both at the same time - so try both and go with the one which handles the task best.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: indiGLOW] #22442
01/27/04 04:43
01/27/04 04:43
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
For basic physics (collisions and dynamical behaivior) ANY physics engine you mention will do that.

The difference is in the details. What exactly do you want the physics engine for? Havok is OVERKILL if you are doing anything but highly intensive and high object count projects. Their demo at GDC 2003 had hundreds of ragdoll biped models falling down (as if dumped into a mass grave) to demonstrate it's power; Newton and 3DGS can acheieve the SAME effect, just not with hundreds of models.

Newton is more stable but 3DGS has more support. Newton is an independent project by less than 5 people (?) and thus it's future is as strong as the comitment of said team. 3DGS obviously has a stronger development base and I don't suspect they will drop PE development in the near future. (in theory anyways)

So, here's my advice. Forget Havok. Too expensive and too powerful for what you want to do most likely.

I use the 3DGS engine and while it's buggy still, I have used it with great success and it looks great when it works.

Use the newton engine if you want (for the moment at least) a more seamless experience. I don't use it, but the buzz has it that it is more stable than 3DGS PE.

Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: fastlane69] #22443
01/27/04 09:57
01/27/04 09:57
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
I believe it matters on your game. Any of the physics engine's are fine if you want basic physics such as mass/gravity and so on... Currently I am using 3dgs PE in my game, the only major problem I have as of now is that the wheels bend when I reach high altitude, and turn... Marco said he will fix that eventually though. I noticed that you want rag-doll physics, I am unsure if Newtons physics engine can handle this... but it would be quite hard in 3dgs PE. I guess it all comes down to what you can afford, Havok...mega bucks, 3dgs PE... pro version, Newton...Free, also compatability is an issue too.

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
havok ode newton [Re: William] #22444
01/27/04 19:11
01/27/04 19:11
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

havok isn't the most superior physics engine out there! i talked to a few people who used or evaluated havok and they stated that it has very similar problems to ODE (which gets used in a6).

what i don't like about ODE is that its algorithm relies on relaxation parameters. this makes it very difficult to get (complex) simulations stable and really rigid joints aren't possible.

another free (but without source code) physics engine to look at is http://www.tokamakphysics.com/ .

but for a6 i would recommend newton game dynamics or the built in physics engine. just try out both! ...newton is faster, it doesn't need relaxation parameters, it supports rigid joints and it is totally state of the art! (but the first version of the newton 3dgs integration had some bugs.)

Re: havok ode newton [Re: ventilator] #22445
01/27/04 19:49
01/27/04 19:49
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

Material/Fabric that moves accuratly, i.e hanging drapes that move as models pass through it. (Presume this uses bones/key physics points to animate).

these things are soft-body simulations usually done with mass spring systems and not supported by the newton engine or the built in a6 physics engine yet.

but probably some free source code examples for mass spring systems are available for download somewhere and could get used to create an a6 plugin...

Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: indiGLOW] #22446
01/27/04 22:38
01/27/04 22:38
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Hi IndiGLOW

We are blessed with two good solutions. GS PE works pretty good and it is getting better. I have an open thread about Rag Doll ideas, which can be accomplished with some work. I was just hoping somebody thought about using GS PE for ragdolls before I had to.

Newton is a great addition and it is getting better also. Newton has a Rag Doll sample that is effective. For most in game effects Newton's idea for Rag Doll will work.

I bought a book called Physic for Game Developers and wrote some C Script for my Bass Fishing game. I got some simple but effective physics.

Havoc is bundled with Director 3D. You can play with it using there 30 day trial gig.

There are some fees associated with Havoc that would prevent me from using it, or writting a DLL that links it to GS.

Finally Physic's needs a good collision system. Until the collision system in GS is finished you will have a great physic's engine that is getting impact data from a primative collision system.

My two cents for what its worth.

Ken

Last edited by Nardulus; 01/27/04 22:39.
Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: Nardulus] #22447
01/28/04 18:11
01/28/04 18:11
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Well I have just finished reading all the posts here so far, and would like to thank everyone for their comments.

As far as I can tell, Havok is one of the industries main physics engines, but as such it is priced out of most devellopers budgets, especially when developing for another platform such as X-Box. Considering A6 does not support (Yet!) multi-platform so the havok's platform fee is not such an issue now.

Without any examples of GS - Havok integration it is difficult to gauge, and may well be overkill for our game anyway.

On the other hand both Newton and PE seem to fall a little short of the mark, when benchmarked against engines such as Havok and so the first dilema. From what I can tell the logical path is to go with GS's engine, simply on a support basis. As a Pro owner, and considering the difference in cost Havok vs GSPro, GS is the clear winner despite its current teething problems (what ever they are )

However I want to throw something into the mix, how does this effect multiplay??? Presuming Rag-Doll could be applied to the player (multi-part-model) and you put the player in a multiplay environment, would the phsics rag doll be calculated on one machine and shared (via the server) or would each machine calculate their own? Technically all should get the same result, but not likely, lag alone could mess this up. Is this why I have not seen rag-doll in a multiplay game?

I have more questions but I must dash now......thanks again everyone

P.S Nardulus I will catch up with you in the near future.

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Elementary Physics: Engine vs Engine [Re: indiGLOW] #22448
01/28/04 23:50
01/28/04 23:50
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
THe way 3DGS does it ( and I can't speak for newton or havok, though I suspect you can set up the same) is that Physics "lives" on the server. The client receives current position visual info and the client can send physics request to the server, but thats it. There is no physics on the Client. This keeps everything tied into the server and all clients in line.

I currently have a physics enabled client/server test levels in User Contribution if interested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de