I think there won't happen much when returning your bluetooth Stick.
Normally wiimote_getdevices() should return the number of connected Wiimotes - this means it should only return 0 if there is no Wiimote connected at all.
Depending on your bluetooth stack (driver) it can happen that it detects a device, although it isn't really connected. For Bluesoleil all devices listed in the Bluesoleil window are detected as connected devices - even if your Wiimtoe was powered down meanwhile or ran out of batteries.
I think it is possible to work around this by checking whether the Wiimote actually responds to data requests, but there was some reason why this is not implemented yet. I think it was a structural issue of my implementation. But it shouldn't be an unsolvable problem - it has lower priority than getting Balance Board support completed, though.

If this is not the case there might still be some bug hidden somewhere.
However if you see the data output in the console application then the connection is working fine and you should be able to use your Wiimote in the DLL version as well.

About IR: I already had some thoughts about it, but I haven't yet found time to try this out.
The basic thing is: you need the user to define whether the sensor bar is located on top or on bottom of the screen in order to get a realistic pointer feeling. This however halves your y- resolution as the core area for the IR will always be around the sensor bar - this means you lose half of the resolution (the half which is outside above/below the screen).
By letting the user decide about the sensor bar location you decide whether to take the upper or the lower part of the y sensor resolution into account.
That's the basic conclusion I came too.
I plan to put more features into this DLL time by time.