Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by vicknick. 06/13/24 08:51
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Joey, flink, AndrewAMD, ozgur, Ayumi), 1,195 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19059 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Error014] #164828
03/03/08 19:17
03/03/08 19:17
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline OP
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Finally. The Error-Post

*puts on a tuxedo and steps in front of the crowd*

test 1,2 - 1,2

Heya Error

Lets start:

Quote:

Please, please focus more on that when you blatantly rip off the game. Wait, did I say it out loud? (Typing, more like). Right now, it just screams "Clone of Portal!", its sad. Add more of your ideas. Yeah, yeah, I see, you've added the "Tusc"-joke into it - which is, whatever. Who cares, really. But, please, for the love of god, add something to it which is made by you. Right now, you could just as well create maps for Portal. Add your own, exciting gameplay mechanic!
How about, I don't know, how about the player could create his own construction similar how a spider builds its webs? Change the way gravity works, maybe even only for single objects? Rotate things - by which I mean, also complete parts of the level, ANYTHING. You may keep the portals in there, but don't make it the only thing of it. You could even have something unique in every "testchamber". Heck, some of the ideas could be great fun in a 3d environment.

Yeah well, all you and everyone else here knows is that its some kind of "Portal clone" screaming "CLONE OF PORTAL" But honestly, for those few people who work with me on this project, we know its not a 1:1 ripoff. There'll be a lot of exciting new ideas and jokes!

But lets keep in mind that this is actually more a demo to show off that something like Portal, _IS_ possible in 3dgs, even without using shaders and some kind of weird matrices and mathematics talk...

Quote:

Then, theres the story-side. You know. "Portico Program", huh? Clever. At least, you didn't write "Portalico", that would have been even more obvious, heck, you even replaced the "O" with a portal picture!
That "You cannot create shoes for orphans with it."-gag is too much for me, though. Thats an insider gag, but not a good one.

Yeah the name is awesome isn't it?

No, seriously, as mentioned. It actually is kind of a Portal clone.. But then again, as i said, it also has an own storyline; AND, in contrary to Portal, you will get a bit more information about the "outer world" and "who you are". Altogether in a nice tasty package and with a good bunch of humor and 3dgs-insider jokes.

Quote:

But please. Don't create the dialog using a text-to-speech program. Ask anybody to do it for you, if you don't want to do it yourself (maybe, you want a female voice, in that case, you probably cannot do it yourself). It looses its charme. I mean, yes, the voice of GLADoS is emotionless (for most of the game, at least), but it IS a human voice, and you can tell. "Thank you for helping us help you help us all" - things like that have to be said fluently without any gaps or breaks in the speech, and text-to-speech doesn't have that. It just doesn't sound natural, and thats the key.

I didn't use any text-to-speech programs actually. Maybe it doesn't sound too GLADoS like because the GLADoS voice is actually a female one and my [sarcasm](very) manly deeeeep voice[/sarcasm] doesnt resembles it too much.

But thanks for comparing me to Microsoft Sam

Quote:

AS for the rest of the story - who knows, really. You're not really telling much, and I couldn't be bothered to encrypt the oh-so-secret messages in your teaser, so maybe I'm missing it.

well, you should. if you want to know more about the story. I just gonna take that "oh-so-secret" part as some kind of sarcasm rest assured, there is an exciting story. Don't worry

Quote:

Your screen isn't too far off of portal, placeholdertextures in mind, but theres still room for improvement (the office space). Apart from that, there really isn't much to see, so I cannot comment on it.
Is the gameplay working? That portal-stuff? That'd be interesting to know.

You got me, actually i posted that (relatively) old screen cause people here were begging for in-game pics, so I just granted that wish.

As for the portal stuff: Yeah it's working. Though still some problems with the physics, but the portals "as is" do work perfect. Just like in... well... portal

Quote:

Thank you for your attention. Please don't hate me.

I don't hate you. I love all your posts

<3

Quote:

Although, that JCL Companion Cone - that gag was great. Thats awesome. More of that, please! You could create a complete Conitec-companion-primitive-set!

Cheers

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #164829
03/04/08 09:15
03/04/08 09:15
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

besides, what's wrong with clones? there are so many tetris clones out there, pacman clones, pong clones, breakout clones, and most of them make fun: because they are classics. portal really could become such a classic, so why not clone it? as it's developed on linux, we could call it GNU/Portico, what do you think, michael?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: broozar] #164830
03/04/08 09:27
03/04/08 09:27
Red Dwarf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #164831
03/04/08 18:59
03/04/08 18:59
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
I see. Apparently, I got the wrong idea about that project, then. Sorry.

Quote:

But lets keep in mind that this is actually more a demo to show off that something like Portal, _IS_ possible in 3dgs, even without using shaders and some kind of weird matrices and mathematics talk...

So it is more of an experiment to see if this is possible, huh? Okay. Thats something different, then. Plus, given that you said that

Quote:

There'll be a lot of exciting new ideas and jokes!

I think I can live with it. Hopefully. Depends on how "new" and "exciting" these ideas are. Don't disappoint me!

Quote:

I didn't use any text-to-speech programs actually. Maybe it doesn't sound too GLADoS like because the GLADoS voice is actually a female one and my [sarcasm](very) manly deeeeep voice[/sarcasm] doesnt resembles it too much.

Oh. Uhm. Alright. That, err, of course, I was only joking when I said that! What I meant to say was that... that... oh, whatever. Ask someone else to do it. Or just make your "Glados" (you... probably won't call it "Glados") a male. That would work, too! And you wouldn't have to play around with the pitch of your voice, making you sound like a very frustrated Microsoft Sam.

Quote:

As for the portal stuff: Yeah it's working. Though still some problems with the physics, but the portals "as is" do work perfect. Just like in... well... portal

Thats great to hear One of the developer commentaries was about the problems they had with physics in portals, so you're not alone

Quote:

besides, what's wrong with clones?

I don't really have a fundamental problem with clones. It`s not that it keeps me up at night (unlike the fact that there are people really sounding like Microsoft Sam!). However, you will agree that creating a clone is still lots of work, and I find it kind of sad to see all that hard work, potential and clever ideas in the creation, but only very few unique ideas. There is lots of cleverness involved, but none of it spent on creating new ideas making the whole thing different and more fun.
This has so much potential, I'd hate to see it "wasted" by not adding new stuff in it.

Gameplay si one thing, but the story is, as far as I know (and what do I know, right?), too close to Portal. No, wait, maybe "story" isn't the right word, but certain elements of the settings are. "Tuscture", "Portico", the "shoes-for-orphans"-gag, the name of the Portal gun, all that.

However... I have also thought this wasn't "just" an experiment to see if yo can create Portal in 3DGS, so I've judged it accordingly. Now, however, I see that this was wrong, and this is a just-for-fun, see-if-its-possible project, which I think is okay, but a very different thing. I wish you all the best of luck, and I'm looking forward to more stuff, especially things that show the portals itself are working

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Error014] #164832
03/04/08 19:48
03/04/08 19:48
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
What are some of the issues your facing with portals? I rewrote mine 2 weeks ago, and their working (mostly), but there were, a few problems...

1) The most obvious, collision. Objects still want to hit the walls behind the portal

2) Clipping. Say you have a 10 foot 2x4 going through the portal. You'd have to have two objects at each portal to correctly display it, but then they'd still be protruding through the back of the portal. Another way of avoiding this is by using some tricky extra views, but this can become very complicated

3) Double views. If you were looking at a portal through another view, it became distorted and improperly aligned. Perhaps you could get this fixed by doing some further management of your views...

...Looking forward to more results

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: xXxGuitar511] #236108
11/11/08 21:07
11/11/08 21:07
Red Dwarf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Hi!

After some long... long time without any updates.
I decided to scap everything I had from the first level and remake it (so the old screens don't apply anymore). Was necessary as I changed it too much in details and in the end it took over 10 minutes to compile because of all the little problems in the level.

So, a fresh new level, new models, and shaders ( yes, I know, i just implemented the new shaders today, so the shadows are still on the wrong place on some models like the radio). Thanks to Fear411 and xXxDisciple so far for their help on this project!

I know it doesn't show much, but a little reward as to a little spoiler from the beginning of the game.

And NO! my Portal system will still remain a mystery for you. After all, If i show it off right now, the intrest would be gone in this thing anyway. So I'll tease you a little more.

http://files.xware-cg.com/portico/hidden.mpg

laugh

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #236998
11/17/08 15:46
11/17/08 15:46
Red Dwarf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Okay, okay, but only some screenshots, okay?

happy? laugh

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #237001
11/17/08 15:54
11/17/08 15:54
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Nice, but the portal need some effects.
Btw, happy Birthday

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: WretchedSid] #237017
11/17/08 16:54
11/17/08 16:54
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
nice.

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program [Re: Quad] #237081
11/17/08 23:35
11/17/08 23:35
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
I wrote some lyrics for you Michael. Maybe if someone sent me a link to the portal song without singing, just the music, I could record this song for you laugh

If you're interested, would anyone care to edit the lyrics to make it more funny?

btw Michael you are awesome and your development on this game rocks.

Quote:

There was a noobie
I'm making a note here "epic fail"
It's hard to hide all of my frustration

Tuscture Science
We helps the noobs with their MMORPGS
For the good of Michael_Schwarz
Who might one day kill someone

But there's no sense bashing every noob MMORPG
You just keep on bashing till there's WoW bloom no more
And the model gets done and you make noob game
For the people who don't really care

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sarcastic right now
You're going to make millions and billions of dollers
You're a warez user
Who wants a team of 100 programmers
But it hurt because everyone
Told you that you'd fail

Now we can get excited cause Tusc is here
Michael_Schwarz is a genius and we love him to bits
So I'm glad you're a noob what would we do without you
JCL is a companion cone (or JCL looks like a huge lime)

Go ahead and ignore me
I think I'd rather watch you rant
Maybe you'll find Dan Silverman to help you
Maybe Ichiro Lamb
That was a joke
Haha, fat chance
Anyway this game is great
It's so original and new

Look at me still talking when there's developing to do
Have you got my point yet you're not yet good at what you do
I've builds to run there is testing to be done
On the games that aren't MMORPGS

And believe me don't make a MMORPG
Go make pong or cheese burritos
I feel fantastic I'm not making MMORPG
While you're failing Tusc will still be alive
And when you've failed Tusc will be alive.

Still alive
Still alive

ALSO, SECRET PORTICO FOOTAGE!!!!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de