Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Troubadix] #24570
04/04/04 19:06
04/04/04 19:06
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Have you ever used any other game dev systems.... such as lithtech, genesis 3d , etc.. No engine that i know of has a better model editor than MED... the point of MED is not to make models from scratch.. but to setup models for the game that you made in a real modeling package.. like 3dsmax, milkshape, maya, etc. Yes it has some basic modelling features and simple skinning tools.. but thast not really whats its for.. In this contex, MED is perfectly good...and frankly you should get some idea of you're talking about before blasting a a piece of software

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #24571
04/05/04 03:32
04/05/04 03:32
Gallien
Troubadix Offline
Troubadix  Offline

Gallien
How much they pay you to say that?

MED is beeing sold as a model editing tool.
The point of a model editor is to make models with it from scratch.
No other, that's what it is for (should be for).

If it is so good, why don't you use it then and take to milkshape etc. instead?

Genesis3D does not have it's own model editor. (and they don't sell you something you can't really use either)

Last edited by Troubadix; 04/05/04 03:36.
Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Troubadix] #24572
04/05/04 04:26
04/05/04 04:26
Budapest, Hungary
DEX Offline
Serious User
DEX  Offline
Serious User

Budapest, Hungary
Talking about WED like totaly useles tool is something that I can not except.
I learned WED within few weeks and now I have problems only with my creativity, not with something that I can not make in WED. You have BSP boundaries but there will be alvays workarounds. After I learned few realy good advices from Dan's 3AM I became good level maker and I can create almost anything. I can not say nothing about Quark or other tool for level design, but I can tell you that I am sutisfied with WED. And if we get mirroring tool, or arrays it will be great tool.
I am using MED only to bring and to prewiev models before I bring them in wed. It is obviusly that you can not get max for that money.

DEXSOFT-GAMES.COM
Re: a6 techdemo [Re: DEX] #24573
04/05/04 05:25
04/05/04 05:25
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

genesis DOES havea "model editor".. it has basic functionality to setup up the abnimations and such... that what these engine model editors are for.. setting up as model you have imported...adding verteces for attachments ..etc. Every otehr engine i've used has a similar editor..and i've used many. MED is not being billed as an all purpose modelling package.. thast silly. You can make smple models in MED...but come on.. to make a true modelling package is a huge undertaking in itself.. no where on gamestudios website does it say that MED can take the place a full modelling program..only it can be used if you dont have anything else.. but you can get milkshape for free i believe.. or for a small registration fee..

Re: a6 techdemo [Re: DEX] #24574
04/07/04 07:33
04/07/04 07:33
Gallien
Troubadix Offline
Troubadix  Offline

Gallien
In Antwort auf:

Talking about WED like totaly useles tool is something that I can not except

Didn't write "WED is totally useless"
I wrote "MED is totally useless"

In Antwort auf:

genesis DOES havea "model editor"

Genesis has Actor Studio which is used to convert models from Milkshape bdy format files to genesis act format files.

It is a converter not an editor.
You can add the animations in there but you make them in Milkshape or in an model-editor.

Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Troubadix] #24575
04/08/04 02:30
04/08/04 02:30
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Expert
M

yes exactly.. thats what MED is for too.

Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #24576
04/08/04 03:19
04/08/04 03:19
England, UK
A
Aaron_H Offline
User
Aaron_H  Offline
User
A

England, UK
I know what you are saying Matt, and that is what many of us use MED for, but it was in fact made as a model editor as well as an Animator/Converter...
I think that is what Troubadix was getting at...

Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Troubadix] #24577
04/08/04 16:36
04/08/04 16:36
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
In Antwort auf:

Talking about WED like totaly useles tool is something that I can not except

But I can only agree to that! WED is useless!!! Has someone ever tryed Valve-Hammer-Editor??? If you ever did you would understand what I'm saying. And don't tell me, for this money you couldn't expect any better tool, thats ridiculous!
About MED: MED is very basic but I agree with other people here to use it only to import models in your game... Or does anyone know a good modelmaker that works only with MED? Does anyone know a good model created with MED?
Greetingz,
HeLioS

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Re: a6 techdemo [Re: inFusion] #24578
04/08/04 18:00
04/08/04 18:00
England, UK
A
Aaron_H Offline
User
Aaron_H  Offline
User
A

England, UK
It is all based on user preference...
Some people actually prefer MED to other model editors and I know of a few people which can create some very good models in MED, with very little time. I, cannot really get to use MED, I don't really get how it works, and because of the ammount of time it would take me to learn to use well and create my models, I would rather just load up C4D.

WED however, still based on user perference has generally been more accepted by the community, many users, including myself and others like Dan Silverman, prefer WED to any other app of its type. I have tried using Hammer a few times, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as I do WED, and I know how to make some pretty impressive looking levels with WED, I know what the faults/hard things to do in WED are, but I know how to get around this and create some good looking levels.

To say WED is useless, is your oppinion. But I don't feel that much of the community will agree with you on that one.

To say WED cannot create good looking levels however, is a lie. Proof of this is all over the community, some of the best work is created by Dan Silverman (who makes a living from using WED), just look at some of his work, and tell me if you can say the same again.

Re: a6 techdemo [Re: Aaron_H] #24579
04/08/04 18:21
04/08/04 18:21
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
I don't wanted to say 3dgs could come without WED and MED. And WED is not overall totally useless, but my opinion is, that get to less for too much work in WED (sorry for the bad english, hope you know what I mean ) Maybe Hammer-Editor is a little more complicated to learn, but if you get to know it a little longer you will find out, that its much more powerfull than WED. I prefer building the objects in other editors and put everything together in WED. This works fine.
Greetingz, HeLioS

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de