Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (henrybane), 1,182 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics #246180
01/13/09 22:53
01/13/09 22:53
5 Images
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics

Hey,
Here is the project that I have been working on for the last month or so. I call it the Iridium Engine. Designed for the upcoming game "Ground Tactics," Iridium features cutting edge real-time rendering as an add-on to 3D Gamestudio. Iridium is built upon a deferred rendering architecture that allows for an extremely high number of polygons and dynamic lights to be rendered without slowing down the framerate. So far, using pixel shader 3.0, over 100 dynamic lights can be rendered attributing to ambient, diffuse, specular, and emissive terms.
Iridium also features real-time Ambient Mapping and real-time Radiosity Mapping to increase the realism of the scene. Some major features implemented in Iridium include:
-Dynamic ray-traced reflections and lighting
-high quality relief mapped enviroment with different shaders for multiple hardware capabilities
-Multi-Plane Parallel-Split Shadow Mapping with an advanced derivative solver for extremely soft and accurate shadow mapping.
-shadow mapping for up to 8 omni-directional lights and sunlight.
-512x sampling SSAO with relief-mapping support.
-enviromental illumination from all sources.
-Ultra High Dynamic Range (UHDR) rendering offers twice the gamma output as regular HDR (this is Pixel Shader to Screen, no value clamping!)
-scene managment for sustained fps.
-high fps - around 90 with 0.5 million polys on most average gaming PCs!

I hope you like the engine. The engine is currentley in version 4.0b and is still in development.

-Michael H. Auerbach-
41 Comments
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #248579
01/27/09 20:03
01/27/09 20:03
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
also, i would like to share some questions that people emailed and messaged me:

q: "When will Iridium Engine be available?"
A: At this point in time I really don't know. Sorry.

q: "Does each light overide the previous light's shadow like in regular gamestudio?"
A: No. Iridium's unique design allows for an impressive number of shadow casting dynamic spot, directional, omni-directional, and shape lights to ALL cast high-res dynamic shadows all at the same time. Shadows can be limited in number or update frequency to allow for greater fps on slower machines.

q: "This [engine] is impressive but what is the framerate?"
A: The framerate depends on the graphics settings. On minimum settings, Iridium runs at about 1/8 speed of standard Gamestudio (no shaders). At maximum settings, Iridium runs at about the speed of Crysis on "Highest" settings. On a mid-high end gaming PC, expect 60 fps for a standard scene.

q: "What does this mean "deferred shading"?"
A: Deferred Shading is a process that reduces the amount of rendering required to completley draw a scene. The main view renders the scene's color, material properties, normals, and depth into 3 render targets which are then used to complete the shading in a Post Processed view (which only requires a pixel shader). Iridium has a backup to standard rendering for GPU's that do not support MRTs.

q: "Can I use the dynamic lighting with light maps?
A: Yes. However, Iridium must be initialized so that it knows to render lightmaps in addition.

q: "Real-time radiosity is not possible with 1 million polygons."
A: Not true. Iridium uses rasterization to handle radiosity. Usually ray-tracing is used. Because rasterization uses visibility data - once we calculate a bounding area of effect over the camera (which includes some invisible objects) we only need to bounce light between these objects. In addition, light bounces are only done 4 times per frame. After each bounce hits a surface, a coresponding view is placed and is used to add illumination to the pixels in it's frustrum. This continues for any number of bounces and is spead up by using colorWriteEnable = false (this makes rendering 3 times faster). We also do not need to retrieve the onject UV coordinates which speeds up the rendering by 2 times. Plus, we only need to write to a single channel buffer which speeds up rendering by another 2 times. Overall, we can render the ENTIRE scene's radiosity in the same amount of time and cost as rendering the scene 1.5 times without any shaders (default GS).

please feel free to email any other questions you might have
-Mike-

http://www.groundtacticsgame.com/
Alienware m17x R Custom laptop
specs:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad CPU Q9300
2x Nvidia 280GTX 2GB vram
6GB ddr3 memory@ 1333Mhz
512GB SSD
1200p 17' screen
runs Crysis Warhead on max settings at 1200p at 90 fps
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #248649
01/28/09 09:48
01/28/09 09:48
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: Foxfire
When (if) the engine is released, it will most likely cost the developer a fixed price. I am not sure how much to charge, let me know what you think is a fair price wink

-Mike-

This is hard to say. I need to see a demo, a video, the tools in action, the work-flow and a few nice images to really understand the value of this product. It sounds great but the shots still look not professional enough to be amazed.

The descriptions sound really very impressive. But you need some cool videos and demos to prove that this is really the case.

After checking this it would be more easy to give you an idea, how much this is worth.

If you need some help how to setup a more interesting lighting for your scenes then just let me know.

Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Machinery_Frank] #248779
01/28/09 23:40
01/28/09 23:40
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
Hey,
It is final! Iridium will be available for purchase following the release of our demo for Ground Tactics! This may still be a few to several weeks. I will also create webspace directley pertaining to the engine either on our game website or on another website. I will let you know when this opens. Also, I will release the API manual and a demo for free (at the same time as release) so that you can examine the performance and quality in real-time. The manual will also be helpful for developer's to see the wide variety of functions that allow both complete graphics "noobs" to professionals to correctley add iridium to their projects. Hopefully the demo will also help you help me find a good selling price. -Mike-

specs:
6GB ddr3 memory@ 1333Mhz
512GB SSD
1200p 17' screen
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #248788
01/29/09 00:11
01/29/09 00:11
U.S.
GamerX Offline
GamerX  Offline

U.S.
Awesome to hear! Also nice to hear the tactics demo is coming soon!

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: GamerX] #248879
01/29/09 20:11
01/29/09 20:11
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
hey,
so right now I have a complete version of the 4.0 engine which is really only adequete for outdoor levels (it has an artificial light limit because I set it up with "hard" variables instead of expandable pointers. I am working dilegently to get version 5.0 up asap. In addition, I am writing a VERY extensive manual in .chm format. The main improvements over version 4.0 are the expandable light limit, a revised rendering architecture that is about 25% faster with a large number of lights, and the ability to include "sub scripts" within the engine.

The sub scripts are basically pixel fragment shader functions (written in HLSL vs/ps 3.0) which can be defined with the engine to modify the output of the rendering. This was added because the engine does not normally support one's own shaders due to the required MRT outputs. Instead, the user can set mltiple variables such as PSdiffuse or VSposition which then compile the given shader functions to allow for greater customization. For example, one could use the PSdiffuse variable to set there own function to render the diffuse term in a "cartoon shader" style. This may not be included in version 5.0 but will definatley be included in one of the newer versions to come afterwords.

-Mike-

specs:
6GB ddr3 memory@ 1333Mhz
512GB SSD
1200p 17' screen
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #249033
01/31/09 04:26
01/31/09 04:26
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
alright, I have VERY exciting news! I am working on implementing various cinematic lighting effects directley into Iridium! So far, this has made Iridium look 100% original from almost every other engine - plus, if you don't like it, you can simply turn it off smile

If you want to see what the cinematic HDR lighting looks like, check out this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173484(VS.85).aspx

I will obviously post some screens soon, and maybe even an UHDR demo smile

Features that are now included/improved are:

-real-time dynamic HDR with dynamic exposure. You can also control the rate of adjustment.
-real-time high-quality blur/bloom based on UHDR to HDR overflow.
-real-time "star effect" which basically creates glare artifacts dynamically (see the link above)
-real-time halos
-real-time chromatic dispersion
-real-time glare
-real-time diffuse reflection (global illumination term).

I have made this addition in a seperate script and I can't wait to see the results combined with the actual engine! All the above features run at about 60 fps and I can eliminate 4 entire views which will greatly increase fps!

Let me know if there are any other additions you would like to see in Iridium. I still have volumetric rendering, sub-surface scattering, and atmospheric scattering to implement. I also have to fix up the script to support additional lights,shadows,etc and the manual - then you can get your paws on Iridium smile

-Mike-

specs:
6GB ddr3 memory@ 1333Mhz
512GB SSD
1200p 17' screen
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #249097
01/31/09 13:50
01/31/09 13:50
U.S.
GamerX Offline
GamerX  Offline

U.S.
Awesome. This is getting so good i can't wait. Is there a price set yet?

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: GamerX] #249127
01/31/09 16:23
01/31/09 16:23
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
not yet - I may do something like a small price for development and then if the Engine is used commercially, another liscence must be purchased. But I'm still not sure.

Last edited by Foxfire; 01/31/09 16:24.
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #250546
02/08/09 17:42
02/08/09 17:42
TEXCOORD3
Foxfire Offline OP
Foxfire  Offline OP

TEXCOORD3
Ok,
So I've been REALLY busy the last few weeks. I just got accepted to MIT and UMD CS schools so I was looking around for apartments, rooming, etc. Plus I had exams XD
Anyway, I'm getting back into the Iridium project and I am starting the final release version today. I also added some pretty cool refraction effects that can be used for water, glass, etc. The refraction is also interesting because it is done in a seperate stage (that only renders refractive objects) and allows for alpha-blending so that a refractive object overlapping another will result in a correct double/triple (or even more) refraction effect. Its really quite cool XD
I'll kep you posted here for any updates - Mike-

specs:
6GB ddr3 memory@ 1333Mhz
512GB SSD
1200p 17' screen
Re: Iridium Engine - Ground Tactics [Re: Foxfire] #250574
02/08/09 19:51
02/08/09 19:51
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
congratz on getting accepted.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de