Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by Zheka. 06/20/24 14:26
Lapsa's very own thread
by rki. 06/19/24 11:27
A simple game ...
by VoroneTZ. 06/18/24 10:50
Face player all the time ...
by bbn1982. 06/18/24 10:25
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Martin_HH, TipmyPip), 1,279 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: NITRO777] #247096
01/19/09 01:48
01/19/09 01:48
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

I don't believe in any god because I have recognized that gods only exist because humans wish to believe in them. Weak humans need a superior being that cares about them and rewards them in an afterlife. Aside from this wish there is no evidence in nature that a real god exists. When scientists looked for primal causes they always only found nature laws but never a hint of any acts by a god.

Besides if there were a god and he were interested in being believed in, he could easily give humans a proof of his existence. But since no such proof was ever given, obviously no god exists outside the mind of his believers.

So I think this is not a matter of belief, but just of knowledge. We just know from science and from logic that no god exists. God believers may get some comfort from their belief but pay for this with having to twist their mind more or less and with living in contradiction with knowledge and truth.

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: NITRO777] #247109
01/19/09 04:18
01/19/09 04:18
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline OP
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline OP
Serious User

New York
Hmm, he's an interesting thought. What if (assuming of course there really is a god) that maybe actually makes some of us believe in him while letting others who might not need him as much in there lives, go. Maybe god doesn't want to be worshipped like some kind of tyrant king. Maybe he's just a helping hand for those who need to believe in some great power in order to live a happy life.

I mean again assuming there is a god maybe those who do believe he has hand choosen. Maybe since we all believe in different things he just simply made us believe whatever truth that would sooth our mind.

WTF am I talking about O_O!!??? Someone help me lol

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #247250
01/19/09 17:02
01/19/09 17:02
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
For example, if I find a precious gem which I know is authentic, it would be stupid for me to spend any time or energy trying to determine if it was authentic.

But what if that gem looks a bit too perfect, as if it's probably too good to be true? Wouldn't you grab it and take a closer look just to make sure? wink

I agree though, it makes little sense to constantly check if you're still convinced of your own beliefs, when basically you already 'know' you are still convinced. Whether it's right or wrong is something else.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Dan Silverman] #247254
01/19/09 17:09
01/19/09 17:09
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
Quote:
Just a question out of curiosity:

How do you know (or evaluate) that you you are feeling and seeing is indeed God? And, based on what you are seeing and feeling, how do you know which God it is? In other words, what objective standard are you using to compare your feelings to in order to validate that you are, indeed, experiencing God? This should be important for someone that is looking for truth, I would think.

That's the quandary isn't it? How do you offer objective proof for a subjective experience? If we were to measure a rock it is likely most people could agree on certain objective characteristics - but even that agreement means accepting a framework of reality that is also subjective ie a blind man and a sighted man examining the same rock would have different subjective experiences based on the limits imposed on their perception of reality - as would a man with no hands.

So, while I can't offer objective proof I reject the notion that without it truth cannot be known.

Last edited by bupaje; 01/19/09 17:11. Reason: Added Dan's quote

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: NITRO777] #247268
01/19/09 18:53
01/19/09 18:53
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

Quote:
For example, if I find a precious gem which I know is authentic, it would be stupid for me to spend any time or energy trying to determine if it was authentic.

And how do you know it is authentic without questioning its authenticity

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Blade280891] #247279
01/19/09 20:36
01/19/09 20:36
New York
Serious User
Serious User

New York
@blade
LOL, ya I was thinking the same thing.

Although I don't believe in god I've always disliked it when other people try convincing others that there is no god. What if they freak out and kill us? Ever think of that? Also ever think about the results of your words? Words are very powerful. If you could prove to someone there was no god at the cost of shattering his life would you? If the answer is yes, I ask why? What do you gain? Could what you gain ever be more then what you just took away? Hope.

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #247340
01/20/09 09:52
01/20/09 09:52
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Originally Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness
If you could prove to someone there was no god at the cost of shattering his life would you? If the answer is yes, I ask why? What do you gain? Could what you gain ever be more then what you just took away? Hope.

Yes that sort of puts you in the place of a medical doctor who has to break some bad news to his patient.

Some doctors decide not to give the truth and leave the patient with his illusion and that is probably a wise decision.

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Spirit] #247356
01/20/09 12:59
01/20/09 12:59
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
Although I don't believe in god I've always disliked it when other people try convincing others that there is no god. What if they freak out and kill us? Ever think of that? Also ever think about the results of your words? Words are very powerful. If you could prove to someone there was no god at the cost of shattering his life would you? If the answer is yes, I ask why? What do you gain? Could what you gain ever be more then what you just took away? Hope.

Of course truth is far more valuable than whatever illusion I could think of. If people freak out and kill us then so be it, it's not like it suddenly would make sense for them to kill us. But in any case that's not much different from the usual condemnation to hell because I do not believe in their God(s) at the moment either.

As for hope, hope is something extremely artificial.

Basically it's knowing something will not change without substantial effort, but believe issues will solve themselves anyways.

To be honest, people shouldn't need hope, after all it's an illusion as long as people accept the status quot of their life, instead of thinking "damn I should really try to change my life".

In the end what's the point of 'hope' when your actual actions ultimately define your true life?

There may be things that seem 'out of your hands', like getting sick or getting involved in accidents, but they're just an inevitable part of life. Caused by the simple fact of being with many many people on the same sphere.

Even assuming people didn't get involved in an accident because of their own actions, it's quite futile from a philosophical point of view to look at such things as 'unfair'.

Quote:
Some doctors decide not to give the truth and leave the patient with his illusion and that is probably a wise decision.

In case of medical treatments there are totally cases were knowing the truth does more harm than good for a person's state of being. Then again, I would still prefer to know the truth.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: PHeMoX] #247383
01/20/09 16:08
01/20/09 16:08
New York
Serious User
Serious User

New York
I believe if telling someone the truth will ruin their lives it would make me a bad person to do so. Who am I to force even the truth onto someone? That would make me just as bad as them for trying to force whatever they believe on to me.

Re: Why do you or don't you believe in God(s)? [Re: Blade280891] #247394
01/20/09 17:05
01/20/09 17:05
Germany, BaWü
aztec Offline

Expert
aztec  Offline

Expert

Germany, BaWü
Originally Posted By: Blade280891
Quote:

And how do you know it is authentic without questioning its authenticity

maybe because you dont find gems every day so why should it not be a gem

Visit:
schwenkschuster-design.de
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite