Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #264938
05/08/09 21:34
05/08/09 21:34
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
That's nonsense, Apogee has only been recently resurrected...

It is not nonsense:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee

Scott Miller founded Apogee and was part of 3d Realms as well. He was the first one creating shareware, he published Wolfenstein 3d, the Nuke titles and was the first one distributing games via a bulletin board system (this was before the internet existed).
And Scott is still involved in Apogee.

I cant find nonsense here. This is what you can call a primary rock (Urgestein) or maybe an industry dinosaur.

You're wrong there, that's what I am saying. Between 1996 and 2008 Apogee did not even exist. Yes, it was founded in 1987, but it was resurrected in 2008 (!). I'd give you the link explaining 3DRealms' and Apogee's history by year, but unfortunately 3DRealms.com is down.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #264967
05/09/09 08:07
05/09/09 08:07
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline OP
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Quote:
You're wrong there, that's what I am saying. Between 1996 and 2008 Apogee did not even exist. Yes, it was founded in 1987, but it was resurrected

It is still Scott Miller, the pioneer of game development.
Again: his company (Apogee) is not affected by the downfall of 3d Realms. And this company will continue to work on the Duke trilogy on handhelds.

You can read this in big red letters here (among other articles):
http://kotaku.com/5243324/3d-realms-situation-wont-affect-duke-nukem-trilogy-apogee

And there is no problem if I call them a primary rock. It is the same company. Just think about the word resurrected and its meaning. It is the re-birth of the same company.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #264979
05/09/09 09:47
05/09/09 09:47
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
It's not the same, that's what I'm trying to say. Lol, stubborn? :P

Sure you can call them whatever you want, but a company that technically did not exist for many years in between can't rightfully be credited for 'still being around, still going strong'.

It's like saying Atari did a great job still existing, happily ignoring it has been gone for like 3 times or so.

Quote:
It is the same company. Just think about the word resurrected and its meaning. It is the re-birth of the same company.

If it were the same company it would have been bankrupt just like 3DRealms. But it's not the same company. The term 'resurrected' was coined by the new founders themselves and what it really means is that Apogee as a name got resurrected.

Until a few days ago 3DRealms and Apogee co-existed. Can't call it the same company then now can you? :P

This Apogee really isn't quite the same as Apogee/3DRealms from the old days. In fact, their focus on handhelds and mobile phones is proof enough for that.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #265027
05/09/09 19:05
05/09/09 19:05
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Lol, stubborn? :P

Lol, nitpicking? :P

I will stop here because you start the same offtopic spam like always.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265029
05/09/09 19:23
05/09/09 19:23
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

By the way: The website of 3d-Realms is online again. They say goodbye:
http://www.3drealms.com/index.html

The dev-rules of 3d-Realms are interesting. Looks like you can find some reasons for their going down.
http://www.3drealms.com/press/devrule.html

Among others they write:
"Apogee and 3D Realms are run by Miller and Broussard respectively, and both have a long history in development. Miller and Broussard, friends in the late 1970's, ..."

It looks like Miller and Broussard dont share Phemox' definition of a different Apogee wink

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265034
05/09/09 19:43
05/09/09 19:43
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I will stop here because you start the same offtopic spam like always.

It's not spam, apparently you just can't take any kind of serious critique on your comments. You should grow some skin. I wasn't even making fun of you either, so what's up with that comment of yours? Really...

Anyways, it's why Apogee is not affected by the collapse of 3DRealms even though it's partly the same bunch of people.

I wasn't talking about the same group of people, I was talking about the same company. Apogee 2008 isn't the same as the Apogee founded in 1987, only in name it got resurrected. Yes, some people of the original Apogee are back, but that wasn't the point. Apogee and 3DRealms co-existed, but not in the old days. In the old days Apogee became 3DRealms.

Quote:
Among others they write:
"Apogee and 3D Realms are run by Miller and Broussard respectively, and both have a long history in development. Miller and Broussard, friends in the late 1970's, ..."

It looks like Miller and Broussard dont share Phemox' definition of a different Apogee

No, you've misunderstood. That's where they talk about the old Apogee, their publishing name, that disappeared when they decided to go with the 3DRealms brand name instead.

Really, they talk about it as two different companies themselves by the time they mention the resurrection of Apogee. (Which they actually don't mention on the page you've linked to)

Anyways, it's really to bad that chances are slim we will ever see DNF released.

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: PHeMoX] #265052
05/09/09 22:39
05/09/09 22:39
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Ok, this was an interesting discussion in my thread so far despite some sidetracking.

So let me sum it up:

• 3d Realms is dead (unfortunatelly), I feel sorry for all the employees
  • Nobody of us knows about the future of DNF.
  • Apogee has recently been resurrected (while resurrecting means "reviving the same object" in my dictionary)
  • Apogee is mainly the same company like before, because
    a) it has the same name
    b) the same people are behind it
    c) it still makes similar games (but for mobile platforms now)
    d) it still shares the same vision (creating games for small growing markets)

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265120
05/10/09 13:45
05/10/09 13:45
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/316675.html?playlist=featured#comments_top
*Cries*

It's not that much but it actually is right what I would have expected from DNF... frown
Let's hope that Take2 will order another studio to finish this and let's hope further it's not going to be mainstreamized and turning out as another Gears of War...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Toast] #265122
05/10/09 14:00
05/10/09 14:00
Lithuania, Vilnius
Jaxas Offline
Jaxas  Offline

Lithuania, Vilnius
they probably sell project to someone else smile

The smaller the bug, the harder it is to kill.
Re: 3d realms is dead, forget about the duke being forever [Re: Machinery_Frank] #265131
05/10/09 15:33
05/10/09 15:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
[*]Apogee has recently been resurrected (while resurrecting means "reviving the same object" in my dictionary)

Right, except in this case Apogee got 'resurrected' while 3DRealms still was alive, meaning it can't be the same company. That's what the discussion was about, not whether or not Apogee is the same name as the old Apogee or something.

Quote:
[*]Apogee is mainly the same company like before

Nope, it's not. Unless Apogee will continue development of DNF for the PC platform, it seems to have an entirely different focus. Consoles and mobile phones for crying out loud... :P

Cheers

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de