Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,382 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Tiles] #268800
05/31/09 08:08
05/31/09 08:08
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

It won't adapt to new windows or directx versions, it won't be able to make use of new hardware, it won't have any new features the competition will come up with,... In a few years it will be useless and you will have an outdated skill set. If you don't just do 3D as a hobby then I wouldn't wait so long for a switch.

How can plugin authors fix bugs in the closed source core?

What a waste of time to work on plugins which will result in a patched up mess. :p

Milkshape doesn't progress either (actually I would call it dead too) but at least its author is still around for bug fixes as far as I know. If you are into simplicistic and limited 3D modeling and animation software then there are better alternatives like fragMOTION.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: amy] #268810
05/31/09 09:18
05/31/09 09:18
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Quote:
It won't adapt to new windows or directx versions

Well, the engine of the old core is made for DX8. There are no big changes in DX8 in the future. The new core is made to work with DX9. Which also will not have this much changings anymore in the future. SO while this is true it doesn't really matter. And an exported mesh doesn't care about the DX engine of tS anyways ...

Quote:

it won't be able to make use of new hardware

Possible. Works currently fine at XP and Vista though, plus all graphics cards that supports DX9. And there is a chance that it will also work with Win 7 then.
Quote:

it won't have any new features the competition will come up with

As told, Plugin developers are still at work.

Quote:
In a few years it will be useless and you will have an outdated skill set

As told, a vertice is a vertice. An endgeloop will stay an edgeloop. And it will be a edgeloop in 100 years too. I make my graphics now, not in a few years. In a few years i may have a look for another tool then smile

Quote:
How can plugin authors fix bugs in the closed source core?

trueSpace has a very open modular architecture. They can simply write scripted replacements. Not possible in all cases, but in lots. One of the plugdevs has already fixed some quirks that were introduced by the rushed release. One example: broken weightpaint is back working. I expect to see more than one fix be done that way by plugin developers.

Quote:
What a waste of time to work on plugins which will result in a patched up mess. :p

You would be right when it would end in a patched up mess. But i don't see that happen. What i see is that Plugdevs finishes and expand what Caligari has started.

A good example is the VRay renderer story. Caligari has removed it, the Plugdevs have plugged in Yafaray renderer then as a substitute smile

Quote:
Milkshape doesn't progress either (actually I would call it dead too) but at least its author is still around for bug fixes as far as I know. If you are into simplicistic and limited 3D modeling and animation software then there are better alternatives like fragMOTION.

Neither Milkshape nor Fragmotion is an alternative for me. The tS bones are useful and stable enough for my needs now that IK 2 is implemented. And i wouldn't call them simplicistic or limited. Still a bit buggy though, yes. But i can live with that.

Let's talk about the pros. There is, at least at the moment, no other 3D package with a this good realtime engine implemented. You always need to load your graphcis into your game to have a look how it turns out. tS Workspace works with DX shaders. You can directly have a look how it plays together.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Tiles] #268824
05/31/09 10:28
05/31/09 10:28
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Quote:
As told, a vertice is a vertice. An endgeloop will stay an edgeloop. And it will be a edgeloop in 100 years too.
It was also the same several decades ago but mesh coordinates had to be typed in or even be punched into punch cards and now we have modeling tools like modo and silo. smile

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: amy] #268832
05/31/09 11:11
05/31/09 11:11
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Hmm, you underestimate tS not just a little bit. And i somehow doubt that you ever had a look at its tools. Should've know this when you started to compare it with Milkshape or Fragmotion. For your info, trueSpace is a complete 3D package, not just a one trick tool. And the existing tools are up to date.

Compare it with Blender. Here you have the real competitor because tS is freeware. Compare it with commercial apps like Carrara, C4D, XSI etc. , or even with the big boys like Max or Maya. And then i may share your opinion that tS is weaker. But the comparisons that you introduce here makes no sense, sorry.

To compare tS with Milkshape, with Fragmotion, with decades old software and to state that you need to use punch cards to use trueSpace is simply wrong. You cannot rig and animate characters in Modo nor can you rig and animate characters in Silo. So also this comparison fails smile

Nearly everything that you can model in Modo or Silo can be modeled in trueSpace too. Without the need to use punch cards. And not slower. It has most of the needed point edit and edgeloop tools. Where it lacks a bit is the sculpting tools. But i'm a boxmodeler anyways, and miss nothing really. I make mainly low poly content.

From what i can read makes me think that you dislike trueSpace without even knowing its power. But you don't have to use it when you don't want to smile

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Tiles] #268839
05/31/09 12:13
05/31/09 12:13
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Where did I compare trueSpace to Milkshape? I didn't. I just mentioned Milkshape because you mentioned it.

And I mentioned modo and silo in the context of modeling tools as a response to your "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." blah blah blah. smile Also not as a comparison to trueSpace. Just to point out that "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." is only true on the surface. If your tool of choice stops progress then all other "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." tools will overtake it left and right after a few years. Currently some people look into combining the advantages of subdivision surfaces modeling with the advantages of NURBS (trims,...), probably voxel based sculpting will get popular,...

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: amy] #268848
05/31/09 13:24
05/31/09 13:24
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Quote:
Where did I compare trueSpace to Milkshape? I didn't. I just mentioned Milkshape because you mentioned it.

And I mentioned modo and silo in the context of modeling tools as a response to your "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." blah blah blah. smile Also not as a comparison to trueSpace.

Well, this one here ...

Quote:

... can be read as, trueSpace plays in the same league than Milkshape and Fragmotion, which are both limited and simplicistic. Same counts for introducing Modo and Silo into the discussion.

You connect your words in a way that pretty well introduces comparisons. Which are as wrong as your conclusions. Blah blah blah is what you do here. But yea, maybe i just have misunderstood you here smile

Quote:
Just to point out that "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." is only true on the surface.If your tool of choice stops progress then all other "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." tools will overtake it left and right after a few years.Currently some people look into combining the advantages of subdivision surfaces modeling with the advantages of NURBS (trims,...), probably voxel based sculpting will get popular,...

This is simply not true. That a vertex is a vertex is true as long as there is 3d. Vertices are there since 3D has started. And they will be there in the end too. That is no surface, that is the core.

Nurbs is an old hat. Voxel too. Both as nearly as old as 3D. And surprise, we still use vertices and edges to model our meshes. And believe me, this will not change so quick, not even in the farer future. Benefits of mesh data over voxeldata or nurbsdata is too big wink

The future may be interesting when it comes to new technologies. But that is a completely different chapter. I cannot shape my meshes with future features or promises. I need existing tools in the now time. Future development doesn't really help me at this.

It is not right that a tool, in our case trueSpace is dead and useless from one moment to the other because the development has stopped. None of the functions and tools has vanished. It is all there to make graphics with trueSpace.

A tool is dead when the functions are not longer good enough. And when nobody uses it anymore. trueSpace is years away from that.

And to tell it again, all that has stopped is the official development. Plugin developers are still at work. trueSpace still grows smile

Last edited by Tiles; 05/31/09 13:24.
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: jimc74] #268885
05/31/09 16:44
05/31/09 16:44
Carlos3DGS Offline OP
User
Carlos3DGS  Offline OP
User

first of all, thankyou everyone for the info.

I have also been doing some research myself in other forums, and many are saying blender is great now thanks to "Tuhopuu2" but I am having dificulties finding out what it is and what it is for.

I was wondering if any of you knew what it was and what it is for (and if you could help me out)?

-What is it? Is it another program or a plugin for blender?
-What is it for? Texturing, modeling, animating?

"The more you know, the more you realize how little you know..."

I <3 HORUS
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=401929&page=1
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Carlos3DGS] #268973
06/01/09 06:08
06/01/09 06:08
C
christian Offline
christian  Offline
C

I think Tuhopuu was just a testing branch of Blender.
Developers used it to make radical changes to the program. Sometimes if the changes were useful they were incorporated into the program. Supposedly much of the current version of Blender came from Tuhopuu but that is just hearsay... you would have to see the developer logs to know if that is true. AFAIK tuhopuu has been inactive for over three years. I don't think it has anything to do with the supposed upcoming reworking of the UI.

A7 com core 2, 2gb ram, geforce 7600
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Carlos3DGS] #269268
06/02/09 13:06
06/02/09 13:06
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: Carlos3DGS
Thankyou for all that info and help everyone! smile
I have a couple of new questions now. wink

Do any of you know if milkshape can export directly for med?
Or does it also have issues with skin/animation like truespace?

Between milkshape and wings which do you guys prefer, and why?

P.S.: The new version of blender looks great, cant wait for that new UI.

to answer question one it can, but with issues and no .fbx that i can remember!

to answer question two i prefer wings3d because its free and is simple to use and understand no hot keys to remeber unless you want too. nothing like click and create haha wink

now if they had animation that would be awesome. they have .fbx export which works i have tested it. But only for static models. Thats why i want conitec to buy it even though its opensource. Open source always has it is price to sell haha wink

as for your last comment if by some miracle in august the blender 2.50 gui release is a success then blend me some models baby!!!

For me the main tools to stick to for modeling are WINGS3D for speed modeling etc. TrueSpace for overall modeling pity no true export except collada and maybe fbx when ready. Then Blender for overall modeling etc....file export i hear is good but that GUI IS UGLY I will WAIT till august if she became a true GUI STICKY SEXSUAL MODELER to Play with!!!!

Last edited by LordMoggy; 06/02/09 13:10.
Re: TrueSpace VS Blender [Re: Carlos3DGS] #269269
06/02/09 13:08
06/02/09 13:08
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: Carlos3DGS
Can wings export with no problems for med?
Does wings have any skin/animation issues for exporting like truespace?

ONLY EXPORTING STATIC MODELS USING .FBX

IT HAS NO ANIMATION I WISH IT DID!!!!! CONITEC BUYS WINGS PLEASE!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de