Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: ] #271361
06/12/09 15:47
06/12/09 15:47
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

NICE! Can't wait to try it out!!!

Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: the_clown] #271420
06/13/09 01:58
06/13/09 01:58
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
Hello,

Thanks for all your replies. The idea in this thread was to check if programmers liked/approved the suggested way shown in the tutorial for adding pathfinding to their projects. I know that using custom WED panels may bug some advanced programmers, which is why we put emphasis on the video that all they do is allow a simple way to change some variables (entity name so you can easily retrieve their pointer, and movement/animation settings if u decide to use IX's respective systems).

Quote:
It may just be the way I am interpreting your sales jargon, but it appears
that the Zinc package comes as a trial "copper" package that will downgrade itself at 30 days.
I dislike this idea greatly. Zinc should be bundled with free-ware "material" only.
If you want to bundle a level for demo purposes, use crude or freeware levels/models.
If I want trial-ware, I will download trial-ware, and delete trial-ware when it expires.
This is my personal out-look on trialware "stuff". Its just dirty...

As croman said, upgrading from Zinc to Copper Trial is optional. If you don't visit Zinc's about panel: , you'll never see it or get prompted to upgrade to it. The reason it's in there is so people won't have to download 80mb TWICE, since Zinc and Copper Trial use exactly the same files. Also, it's easier for me to maintain less editions of our products (one less installer for me to make). But that's why I made this video, so if this does bug more people, I'll consider splitting into different editions.

Quote:
Next, "this" page advertises Zinc as "...unlimited entities and unlimited nodes",
but the page behind the "more..." link says only 999 entities and 999 nodes per level.
Are they both right? Or is one page incorrect/out-of-date?

Good catch. I'll update our <more> page to say unlimited entities/nodes since we just copied pasted the feature list from our older IP 2.0 product.

Quote:
1> Does Zinc allow run-time creation/removal of nodes?

No. I want to add Doors to Intense X Silver, which means that pathfinding nodes will need to be activated/deactivated at runtime, so a different path will be found whether a door is open or closed. When I do, I'll consider updating Zinc so you can do this by code as well. Updating your Zinc will be even simplier than updating your Gamestudio version. You run an installer, and all your projects will be ready to use Zinc's new features. (all the installer does is copy files to your Program Files/Gstudio7/IntenseX folder, so if people don't like installers, I possibly could upload a zip file as well, for manual installation. Let me know..

Quote:
2> If an entity loses his path, due to node removal or getting "knocked off" the path,
does he head back to nearest/easily-reached/default node on his own?

IP works like that.. There's a Pathfinding Static and a Pathfinding Dynamic Layer, which work together to guide your Entities to their destination. The dynamic Layer has priority over the Static one. Every time an entity is ordered to move somewhere, the Static layer will find a path by selecting a subpart of the waypoints in the level using A*, so the entity begins moving towards a route like that:

Starting Point
Waypoint 1
Waypoint 2
Waypoint 3
Waypoint 4
Ending Point

If an obstacle is blocking the way between Waypoint 2 and Waypoint 3 (obstacle avoidance uses NO traces, so you won't notice any fps dropdown even with 100 entities pathfinding in the same level), then the Dynamic Layer takes over and guides the entity around the dynamic obstacle. After the obstacle has been avoided, the entity will resume to follow his static path (f.e. Waypoint 3).

Quote:
2a> If not, could we users code a way for this to happen?
(eg lost entity will create a temporary-private node at his own location,
that is connected (at some point) to his original path, which he can then
follow and which will delete once he sucessfully reaches his old path)

You can call the MoveTo function as many times as you want, even while the entity is moving, to change his destination point, or even use your own movement system altogether. You can't create/remove waypoints at runtime, but if u come to understand how IX pathfinding works, you'll see that the only time this will be nesseccery is to have doors that open and close, so u activate/deactivate waypoints respectively. For dynamic obstacles, such as buildings created in RTS games, the dynamic avoidance system will be enough to handle this. But if you'll be creating long walls, etc, you'll need the activate/deactivation of waypoints i mentioned earlier.

Quote:

There was a section in your video where you have to place nodes near an already defined path.
If it would be possible to attach an exsisting path to a node in order to let it create new nodes for your path generator, this would help users to reuse their levels faster.

Zinc controlled NPCs and other code controlled entities can share the same paths this was. - No need to define it twice.

I'm not too fond of pathfinding systems that use WED's paths to create their pathfinding graphs. This means that the user needs to MANUALLY define all possible edges between every waypoint. Zinc will do this automatically, so WED paths are not appropriate for graph creation. For more info on creating graphs using waypoints, you can check out Zinc's online documentation.

Quote:
um the zinc demo edition is best than the copper edition (edit: the zinc have new options in the panels)
when are a update avalaible for copper?

Intense X Zinc 1.0/Copper Trial 1.0 and Intense X Copper 1.0 will be released the same day. All zinc features are also included into Copper 1.0 for easier activation to existing non-ix projects.

Quote:
could you add more smoother rotation while following nodes?

If you're using Intense X's movement then you can do it yourself from here:

Npc Action Help Page a bit outdated

Or, like Quadraxas said, you can write your own. In this case, when you issue a MoveTo command to an entity, Pathfinding will just update one of its skills to the direction(-180..180) that your entity should move towards, in order to follow the static/dynamic path to guide the entity to its destination.

Quote:
(i have the Cooper, but possibly will use the zinc since i will only need pathfinding)

You won't have to downgrade, Copper 1.0 will have the exact same features, and adding Artificial Intelligence and writing your own Custom Goals is only a click away.

Quote:
just wondering if it handles physics movement or move by c_move

IX movement uses c_move. I don't know how sensible it would be to use real physics for movement, especially Gamestudio's ODE engine.. But you could write your own and make it move using physics towards the pan direction that IX pathfinding will give you.

I have Gamestudio's Physics working for some simple objects in Silver, like Barrels and Crates.. But I'm thinking of adding ragdolls to silver as well, and for that I may try using one of those freeware physics engines available. or maybe gstudio upgrades to PhysX sometime soon (crosses fingers).

Quote:
EDIT: Will it be posibble to just include a script and dont do the things over wed, only in the script? And is it possible to call the moveto function with the my pointer?

You could use Zinc like you used Intense Pathfinding 2 if you wanted to. So, you install Zinc, don't touch the Intense X menu from WED at all, and instead write this line to your main script: "#include <IntenseX.h>" and you can now use all Zinc's functions. That's all the activation panel in WED does anyway, and create a DAT file that will store customization settings, as such:

Miscellaneous: Meter Size=90
Miscellaneous: Brightness=50
Miscellaneous: Sound Effects Volume=100
Miscellaneous: Gravity Steps=13
Miscellaneous: Downwards Trace=3
Miscellaneous: Maximum Fall=3
Miscellaneous: Step Up=0.125

Otherwise, you'd need to change settings like this by code. You'll also need to define an NPC to be the graphmaker manually, use -d make_graph to build a pathfinding graph for each level, and stuff like that that happen automatically if you use the WED panels. But I promise that even by using the panels you can still use lite-c to control your Npcs like you did before. For example:

1) If you create a function called "ix_NpcAction" you can control all Npc entities that you add the Intense X Action to:

Code:
#include <IntenseX.h>

void ix_NpcAction()
{
	//Inside this function, the 'my' pointer is assigned to the Npc running this action

//Write Custom Movement
	//..

//Write Custom Animation
	//..

//Order to go somewhere at beginning
	is_Action_Walk_To_X_Neutral(500,200,50,NULL);
}

//Other stuff
//..

void main()
{	
	//Write Custom code here...
	level_load("bluh.wmb");
}

2) You can now retrieve the pointer of an IX entity by the name you enter in the Npc Panel, like this:

my=ix_getEntity("Bob");

Or if you don't like the WED panels, you can still use the old sId_to_ptr(..) which compares a string with the my.string1 instead, but I highly recommend using the newer way.

3) You can still use the old functions which use the my pointer to move an entity. For example, the source code for the new ix_MoveTo(..) function is the following:

Code:
void ix_MoveTo(char* cName,PosX,PosY,PosZ)
{
	my=ix_getEntity(cName);
	is_Action_Walk_To_X_Neutral(PosX,PosY,PosZ,NULL);
}

Thanks to all for your responses. Keep them coming. I'm making some final touches from the feedback I received here and posting a download link very soon.

Cheers,
Aris

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: LarryLaffer] #271427
06/13/09 02:43
06/13/09 02:43
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Thanks for the clarifications, but I'm out, I NEED it to support dynamic creation and removal of waypoints.
My long-term project is a LARGE world that spawns new segments of terrain etc as the player gets close.
Occasionally "twitching" over to the other side of 3DGS world-space if an X or Y limit is being reached.
The whole thing is floating in an empty level. (ie load_level=NULL;) So I never have a "level" to put waypoints in.
So I NEED to create/remove waypoints at runtime, with the graph generator
activating in the background any time nodes are added or removed.

Can you see the "growth" to IntenseX coming to a point where it could support this form of "world"?

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: EvilSOB] #271428
06/13/09 03:11
06/13/09 03:11
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
Hi EvilSOB,

I see what you're saying. I too believe that Zinc isn't for you. If I was working on a project like that, I'd use some kind of tile-grid system, so each time you dynamically create chunks of terrain, you set some sort of flag to indicate if that chunk of terrain is passable or not (has a building on it). Then, use A* to dynamically find routes around your terrain.

Even if you could add waypoints at run-time in Zinc, it would be a bad idea to actually keep the graph generator running while the actual game runs since graph creation is an intensive process using many c_traces and not intended for run-time use. But if you use tiles with an obstacle flag that you can turn on and off, you won't need to be doing any c_tracing.

I'll be interested to know how you do tackle this problem. Let me know if I can be of any help. Intense Pathfinding 2 has been discontinued, but I could send you the lite-c A* code from it, if you'd like to use it in your tile-based search space, or whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,
Aris

Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: LarryLaffer] #271430
06/13/09 03:51
06/13/09 03:51
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Hi Aris, I'll thank you for the offer, but I'll decline all the same.
When I said it was my "long term" project, I really meant Loooooong term.
I dont expect to even start on the AI, (let alone pathfinding) for at least 12 months,
at the absolute earliest. (I havent even gotten the memory-leaks out of my terrain concepts yet.)

When I get there I'll just pick up a few books on general AI and pathfinding principals,
and go on from there.

Thanks all the same.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: EvilSOB] #271435
06/13/09 05:32
06/13/09 05:32
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
What is the link to download the Zinc?
Is it OK to use Zinc with my own entity movement code?

Thanks.

Last edited by Frederick_Lim; 06/13/09 05:42.
Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: Frederick_Lim] #271536
06/13/09 18:48
06/13/09 18:48
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline OP
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline OP
Serious User

Greece
Quote:
What is the link to download the Zinc?

I'm still fixing a few little things here and there, and adding more interface functions, like, finding the distance in quants (or ix meters) that an entity has to move to go from point A to point B, but without actually moving (useful to find what's the actual closest power-up item (weapon, ammo, medkit, etc) to an Npc if you're working on AI, and stuff like that. An item may appear closer if you're using vec_dist, but may in fact be the furthest away in walking distance, if there's a wall between the entity and that item. So, my estimation is that I'll release late on Monday.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any other suggestions for this free plugin before I release it, now is the time to let me know. If your game requires pathfinding, no matter if it's an fps, adventure or rts, what would you want to see in Zinc before you decide on using it?

Quote:
Is it OK to use Zinc with my own entity movement code?

Yes. Read my first post and watch the tutorial for more details on that. 2nd part of the tutorial is under construction which will focus on exactly that and also using your own Animation system (maybe I could also use some ix pathfinding functions to build up a simple friendly Ai that follows the player around, or something similar..)

Cheers,
Aris

Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: LarryLaffer] #271545
06/13/09 19:20
06/13/09 19:20
dracula Offline
dracula  Offline

Hi Aris

My concern is using your system on a school network. We can't simply install trial or purchased versions via the net on an individual PC. This kind of stuff has to be done by our network management guys. I remember trying to get Borland C++ Builder installed .... we abondoned it in the end because of a similar issue.

Also, if one person creates a WMB file in WED (which has Intense-X installed), can they give this to another GameStudio user (who don't have Intense-x) without restiction ?

thanks

Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: dracula] #271555
06/13/09 20:28
06/13/09 20:28

F
Fear411
Unregistered
Fear411
Unregistered
F

Quote:
Meanwhile, if anyone has any other suggestions for this free plugin before I release it, now is the time to let me know. If your game requires pathfinding, no matter if it's an fps, adventure or rts, what would you want to see in Zinc before you decide on using it?

Does Zinc have a function like:
getWalkedDistance //get the Distance from startpoint to current point

And what would be cool is a function:
movegroupto
This function moves a squad in a predefinde formation and if the have to go through a door or something similiar they have to leave the formation and walk behind each other.

Re: New FREE Pathfinding, by Intense Illusions! [Re: ] #271578
06/14/09 00:34
06/14/09 00:34
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

How does the system handle things like doors? or obstacles?

E.g.
a low wall can be climbed over ?

or can the pathfinding work out that a door can be opened?

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de