I am currently looking for someone to help me with my project. I understand the guidelines state that mmorpg's fail 99% of the time, but I refuse to give up. Let me fill you in quickly on where I am at.

The game is entitled IOP or Isle of Polm. It is a mmorpg where players enter the online world and live, work and fight with each other. The world is terraformable (if that is even a word) and players build and maintain their own tools, weapons, armor and cities. I have a small map as of now for building my game as I didn't want to expand it to fast. I have been on this project for close to 5 years....most of the time I have been learning and getting the best of client/server communication using 3D Game Studio. Currently I am using a third party DLL I bought to control the multiplayer aspect of the game. This DLL file supports 2000 global entities, which is great, as I am only expecting to have at least 250 players per server.

What I have now:
- Server and Client coded so players can join the server and visually see everyone else updated.
- Server and Client communication where as the client moves around the world, the server sends data on where the plants and trees should be, this works great, this way I don't overload the clients on data, and the server doesn't have to render every model, just what is around them. I have tested this with up to 10 players and it worked flawlessly, but who is to say when I have 50 players it will not be good, I don't know.
- I have my world cut up in 64 zones which are stitched together. I created them using PNP-Terrain Creator and some other tools.
- I have basic terraforming coded now so the players can dig or dump dirt onto the terrain to adjust it to their needs. This will allow players to mark their territory, enjoy landscaping the world and allow them to place farms, buildings, shacks, etc.
- I have some pretty basic player movement code so the player can squat walk, walk, side strafe and jump. I have some camera options coded in as well so the players can see all angles of first and third person views.
- Functional chat with scrolling commands to review old chat.
- I have a demo, if you are interested I can fire the server up and show you what I have.
- Every client uses 1.5 kbps while active or moving, if they are only walking forward, it is 1.0 Kbps. If the player is idle, they transmit 0 Kbps, and only receive data from other clients or the server

What I am looking for:
- You don't have to be serious or know it all, I am willing to teach what I know, I am very patient
- I would like you to have good skills at the 3D Game Studio programming using C-Script as sometimes it may take me 30 minutes of thinking out a problem when with two heads it can take 10.
- Modeling for 3D Game Studio is a plus
- Graphic design is a plus
- This is more of a hobby for me, so I don't expect you to be on it all the time.
- You don't have to know the server / client coding, I can do that just fine, especially with doing it for 5 years now thanks to the pioneer Locoweed.

Extra thoughts:
THIS IS NOT A PAID JOB, it is more of a hobby to challenge the limits of 3D Game Studio and all the nay sayers who say MMORPG cannot be done. I have an awesome framework thus far.

If you want to see some screen shots, you can see them here...

CLICK HERE TO SEE SOME SCREEN SHOTS

Remember, this is a NON paying job, it is a hobby and a huge challenge. PM me or send me an email at garrett@garrettwademan.com. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Garrettwademan; 07/31/09 01:04.

Current Project: Computer Repair Simulator
https://www.computer-repair-simulator.com