Quote:
Belive it or not, but 400 cubes, just scaling/moving dropped my fps to ~70fps. And i had NO effects, NO shaders, NO nothing. Just the cubes, moving around.

Do you have a number in mind that you would consider a reasonable amount of entities for the 3dgs engine?
I sorf of ran into the same problem (using to many entities). The obvious thing to do is to scale everything down a bit. But it doesn't really solve the problem since it also scales down the epic feeling of having entities everywhere.

I don't mean to hijack your topic but how do you about the engines weaknesses and strengths? 3dgs beeing really fast with particles for example (just an example - don't know whether that is true or not).

It happens quiet often that there are many different ways you can go when trying to code something. Of course I want to go the way that consumes the least CPU/engine ressources - but I frankly don't know what factors determine the engines speed.

Testing... well there are way to many factors to take care of. Doing A might work in Situation B but would be horrible in C as well as cause difficulties if used in combination with...etc...
The engines documentation doesn't really talk about that (aside from: particles are faster than sprites, etc.).
Where do you pros know all those things from???
*bibber* plz don't say from experience laugh