I think the thing is he is trying to purchase rights to the game, not just the game. In the apple store and other such sites, a player is purchasing the game. In otherwords instead of only one person purchasing the game, you may have a hundred or more purchasing that game for 3 or 5 euros. No game developer in there right mind would sell the rights to a game for 5 euros. I'm not sure what the equivalent in US dollars are, but I'm pretty sure its not that much of a difference. I know I would NOT sell my newly developed game off to a single person for 5 bucks. That's insane. Now, if I were to sell my game on a site that sells to thousands of people, depending on the game size and content, I may sell it for five bucks on there and give a small percentage to the host. That's how a business works.
Besides, there aren't enough details for this project. Storing scores in a database is fine and dandy but there has to be a bigger point in the matter. If not, its a waste of time and effort for the people who are creating the games. Databasing is child's play when you compare it to creating a game.