I've taken some time to create a basic template in max for the grid method which I think covers the core parts.

I need to create a set of smaller corridor and arch way parts now, trying to find good reference for how to cover all the bases. Very much the traditional Isometric approach to level creation in many ways...

EDIT:
I've laid out what I think are the core parts needed for a dynamic dungeon would be, based around each tile being 32m square with a height of 12m.

By my count that is 24 individual parts, which isn't too bad. I know that you could actually rotate some parts instead of duplicating them, but I think that would be cutting of my nose to spite my face...

Anyway, so presuming this system works, and that we would create a theme system that allows sets of these parts to be made and used dependant on the environment and so on...

with variations on each part, potentially 2-3 variations per part, per theme, and I think that is being a little conservative, it still means that every map would require approx 100 parts, give or take 10%...

So the system would need to allow for this theme, also allow for individual parts to have variants, whilst also making sure that the map is correct...

I will spend some time UVmapping each of these simple shapes and get them into the engine, it seems like its worth a little more investment of time.

Please let me know if you have comments or suggestions, I am sure some of you have already spent considerable time working out this one laugh

TIA

EDIT2: Just spotted I forgot doorways! duh! that adds another 4 components...

EDIT3: Well this was a little unexpected! Once I had worked out the number of door variations in an end part, I've already now added a further 24 parts.

I also know that I will also need to think about creating a doorway in both the corridor parts and the large room parts...

So the list of parts continues to grow, still I think I have nearly got all the parts.... I think laugh

Last edited by indiGLOW; 10/29/09 19:24.

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss