Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ayumi, Akow, monk12), 1,413 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Normal Maps? [Re: Julius] #29644
07/03/04 01:24
07/03/04 01:24

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still stuck with assigning 2 maps to a model in MED - I'm sure it's easy, but I can't find out how.

As for the problem with UVW Co-ords being changed when using Melody, there's an option in Melody that allows you to retain the UV coords from the UVMap used for textures - so if you chose that option, you shouldn't have a problem.

Re: Normal Maps? [Re: ] #29645
07/03/04 01:29
07/03/04 01:29
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

You add skins via the Skin Editor. View -> Skins

There's an option there.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Normal Maps? [Re: Orange Brat] #29646
07/03/04 01:32
07/03/04 01:32

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks!

I cant actually try this out yet (though I am desperate to), until I upgrade my gfx card (my current has no pixel or vertex shader support).

However - as soon as I do I can't wait to try out all these cool things. I couldn't believe that this could be done in A6 - all these features present in the most advanced angines (HL2, Unreal) etc. - and yet also implimented in an engine that costs less than £200 - that's incredible - totally awesome!

Re: Normal Maps? [Re: ] #29647
07/03/04 02:30
07/03/04 02:30
trapped in a paper bag
Drew Offline
Serious User
Drew  Offline
Serious User

trapped in a paper bag
yeah it sounds like it should just use the utextures uvw info and work, but it doesn't. somehow it gets scrambled, theres something special about texture baked UVWs...I've found a workaround thats actually much better... using a 3dpaint parogram as an inbetween...

Drew Medina
Game Developer (Artist)
Personal & professional website
Deviant Art
My Blogspot
Re: Normal Maps? [Re: Drew] #29648
07/03/04 02:47
07/03/04 02:47

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh - I dread to think what mine are like - as I don't have a 3d paint proggie - oh well, I might be able to find another solution -unfortunately I can't work on them for at least 2months (which is really annoying) - due to lack of money needed to buy a gfx card.

Re: Normal Maps? [Re: Dan Silverman] #29649
07/03/04 02:48
07/03/04 02:48
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
How is Zbrush 2.00 they don't have a demo, I bet it's GREAT right?

NormalMap web page

NormalMap

Re: Normal Maps? [Re: MaxF] #29650
07/03/04 03:02
07/03/04 03:02
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
Enter the "normal map". While a height map only contains 1 plane of information - the "Z" (height) plane, a normal map contains 3 vectors of information - "X" direction, "Y" direction and "Z" direction. Thus, each pixel in a normal map encodes which direction that particular point is facing - the "normal vector" of the surface. Each pixel in a normal map has meaningful information, so details can be rendered more crisply than with bump maps alone. This allows modern game engines (Doom III) to more realistically portray the lighting on a surface. A properly constructed normal map can fool the eye into perceiving much more complex 3D geometry on a simple surface. Theoretically, normal maps on a cube can make it appear spherical, at least in terms of shading properties (the outline remains unchanged).

Normal maps use three channels of information to encode their information. This can be conveniently mapped to a standard RGB image. The red channel is used to encode normal vectors in the X direction. 100% red indicates a vector facing right - an X normal direction of +1. 0% red indicates a vector facing left - an X normal direction of -1. A 50% value in the red channel indicates an X normal component of 0. Similarly, the green channel encodes normal vectors in the Y direction. 100% green indicates a vector facing up - a Y normal direction of +1. 0% green indicates a vector facing down - a Y normal direction of -1. 50% value in the green channel indicates a Y normal component of 0. The blue channel encodes normal vectors in the Z direction. 100% blue points straight out of the surface. 0% blue points straight behind the surface. A value of 50% in the blue channel indicates a Z normal component of 0. Normal maps don't contain values below 50% in the blue channel since these would be pointing behind the surface.

Re: Normal Maps? [Re: MaxF] #29651
07/03/04 03:09
07/03/04 03:09
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
From ZBrush Site:

-------------------------
Displacement Maps

ZBrush can compare your original mesh to the high frequency model in order to create a grayscale difference map. To do this, you simply import your original mesh back into the lowest subdivision level and then click the Create DispMap button. Alternatively, if the shape of the original low-res mesh needn't be preserved, press the Cage button to generate a base-level object ideal for the calculated map. This cage can then be exported along with the map.

Normal Maps

These maps use colors to tell a rendering engine how to perturb the surface normal of an object. Although this does not change the object's silhouette, it does allow remarkably realistic depth effects that are superior to bump mapping.

ZBrush can use Tangent space or Normal space (local and global coordinates), and also has modifiers in the Preferences palette to match how your rendering engine uses the colors in the map

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de