Quote:
Real lights are expensive if you don't use an AAA engine using very otpimised deferred lightning !
Forget about "AAA". My shader contest entry (which you should still be able to download) could easily render more than 100 lights at a time with little effect on the frame-rate, depending on how much screen-space is covered by each. It uses deferred lighting, and is free for anyone to use.

I have no idea how compatible it would be with A6, though. Mine only works on machines with MRT support (which apparently most people on this forum have), but I think Boh_Havoc's deferred shading doesn't necessarily need MRTs (though without MRTs there're quite a few passes that will probably eat into your max vertex limit).

If you can get your hands on a deferred lighting solution that works with A6 you'll be set -- you obviously like to use dynamic lights to spice things up, and who wouldn't? GTA4 used deferred shading so that every pickup (weapon, cash) was casting light, as well as all the cars' brake-lights and headlights, and all the streetlights.

Then again, if you don't use too many at a time (even though lots were used, there never seemed to be more than a few visible at any one time in your vid), even a standard per-pixel shader should look seamless in your scenario. I just can't remember how A6 shaders interact with dynamic lights frown

The new video looks much better than the first one, as it looked like there was a little more to the combat than just mash-mash this time. I also really liked the aliens in the glass tubes on the walls grin

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!