Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Lapsa's very own thread
by Lapsa. 06/26/24 12:45
Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by Zheka. 06/20/24 14:26
A simple game ...
by VoroneTZ. 06/18/24 10:50
Face player all the time ...
by bbn1982. 06/18/24 10:25
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Lapsa), 1,331 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Google is God [Re: JibbSmart] #305944
01/18/10 16:30
01/18/10 16:30
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

well what I though about that, JulzM, we are organic machines, but i just wondered the Soul concept, im not sure if it exists or not, but... i think when i brought that soul and cyborg thing was to compare that they are no different from us, and they dont believe i a GOD for certainly ,thus i think believing in Souls is one step closer to Faith and Religion And GOD Phenomena LOL. Sorry i dont know if im explaining correctly.

by they way i just find out your face on the facebook topic... its always interesting to know who we talk to.

Last edited by MMike; 01/18/10 16:31.
Re: Google is God [Re: MMike] #305950
01/18/10 16:49
01/18/10 16:49
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Yeah, it is good to know who we're talking to laugh Feel free to add me if you want.

With the "cyborg" idea, if they are no different to us, then surely some of them would believe in souls as well?

I think that you're right -- the belief in a soul and the belief in some sort of God(s) are closely related. Buddhism is an exception to most large religions, which teaches we have no souls, that we are strictly the products of cause and effect, and that there are not necessarily any gods -- Buddha himself was agnostic or atheist, depending on how you define those terms. No soul, no necessity for a God.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I do believe we each have a soul. Certainly a soulless machine can be tricked into thinking it has a soul on the basis that it thinks of itself as one being. But what I experience, and what I'm sure everyone else experiences, must surely be different from simply the cumulative effects of physical causes.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Google is God [Re: JibbSmart] #305953
01/18/10 17:08
01/18/10 17:08
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
With possibly as many Protestants as Buddhists in the world, my "special kind of Christianity" is not that special.

You've missed the point... again. Whether you like it or not, your religion is directly related or even down right responsible for a lot of wrong-doing in this world. That was my argument and you're indeed acting as if your Protestant version of Christianity changes that entirely. It doesn't.

Quote:
The "stone that's too heavy for even God to lift" argument doesn't hold water. That's like an "unstoppable force" hitting an "unmovable wall" -> one or the other has to be a false definition. Is God limited by weight or mass? No. So describing a stone "too heavy for God to lift" makes just as much sense as "spaghetti too green for God to eat" -- none.

Can you prove God is not limited by weight and mass? Heck no!

If you'd follow the logic of simple cause-event chains, you should realize God would very likely have to be limited by weight and mass in some way for it to be able to influence it.

"Is God limited by weight or mass? No."

That's really just another one of those billions of claims religious people make about their God all the time. The actual conceptual definition of God is a pure figment of human imagination.

I really don't agree that "spaghetti too green for God to eat" is a good analogy to the "stone to heavy to lift, even for God". It's about the almightiness, not God's taste which would be a mere choice anyway. tongue

I shouldn't have to explain this as it's overly obvious... but.. Aren't you the one who believes God is able to influence all things with it's almightiness? And even (potentially) create? Well if it can create and both influence things with it's almightiness without any limits as is often said, then one would assume it can A. create a stone too heavy to lift for God and B. that would then instantly conflict with the common assumption that God in it's almightiness would be able to lift anything, everything and always, without limits as well.

I know either one of those has to be false, but that's not the point. It does however clearly show how an argument without evidence backing it up, is pretty much irrelevant altogether. Saying God is not disproved by science (or even possible to be disproved by science), hence he must exists, is equally as stupid as saying God doesn't have to be proven by facts, as all you need for it to 'exist' is faith.

Apparently you're having a hard time to grasp the logic and sense behind all of this. I'm not attacking you here, it makes sense as you're convinced of your belief and that's why you look at that in an entirely different way.

Quote:
I don't think I've suggested anywhere that there are no links, or that it doesn't have a dark history. Those are mistakes, like we all make. Do all the dark deeds some of your ancestors may have committed have any bearing on your actions in your life? Why should Christianity's history have any affect on what it is today? If anything we learn from it. It's still based on the same book it was based on back then, yet those past mistakes are not justified in the Bible!

You see, this is why I called you ignorant before when it comes to Christianity throughout the world. Reality check; organized religion defines the content of the Bible or the interpretation of the texts. There's a whole lot in the Bible that still justifies plenty of very outdated ideas.

It's too easy to hide behind the idea that you or your local religious community interprets the Bible differently and therefore beliefs it doesn't justify what happens elsewhere.

In most if not all cases religious people just interpret the Biblical texts however they see fit.

Quote:
I'm not evangelising here; I'm simply defending my faith while you attempt to evangelise Atheism -- especially in response to your issues with Christianity that are actually quite specific to a distinct subset of Christians.

Specific to a distinct subset of Christians? Yeah, right. You're just pretending wrong-doing in name of Christianity in whatever way doesn't happen anywhere near you. tongue

I'm not evangelizing atheism at all, I'm attacking deism, in particular organized Christianity, but really also religion in general. When it comes to my own world view I'm really much more agnostic and somewhat of a pantheist actually. As said many times on this forum, I tend to go with what we do know, facts and knowledge. Yes, however relative. But not blind faith and the usual ignorant sheep behavior.

Quote:
It's like saying rock music is bad just because most popular music that comes under the "rock" genre is bad, but if you actually look for yourself at what constitutes "rock", you'll find that there's actually a lot of creative music in there.

No not at all the same. You're saying I can not think of rock music as bad, because there's also a special kind of rock within the main genre that according to you is so great and wonderful that I can not think of rock music as bad. Thát's what's up here. tongue And I obviously do not agree with that.

In fact, to stretch the analogy a bit further and explain my view; I am sort of arguing here that the main rock music genre is bad by definition, because it always comes with guitar riffs in it and screamy vocals. wink

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Google is God [Re: PHeMoX] #305971
01/18/10 18:48
01/18/10 18:48
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
I'll try and keep this short.
Quote:
Whether you like it or not, your religion is directly related or even down right responsible for a lot of wrong-doing in this world.
I have not missed the point. I never denied the history behind it. But people are responsible for those things. Not my religion. If someone kills in the name of PHeMoX it's probably not your fault. If someone kills in the name of money, or love (as is often the case), it's not the fault of money or love. Perhaps you can say otherwise if texts that are particularly important to a religion condone or encourage such actions, but they don't!
Quote:
Saying God is not disproved by science (or even possible to be disproved by science), hence he must exists, is equally as stupid as saying God doesn't have to be proven by facts, as all you need for it to 'exist' is faith.

Apparently you're having a hard time to grasp the logic and sense behind all of this.
If you want to take this discussion seriously, please don't just skim over what I've written and fill in the gaps with your imagination. I was very clear that I'm not arguing that he must exist. I'm saying you have no grounds to say he cannot exist.
Quote:
I really don't agree that "spaghetti too green for God to eat" is a good analogy to the "stone to heavy to lift, even for God". It's about the almightiness, not God's taste which would be a mere choice anyway.
I was not saying the spaghetti tastes bad -- colour has nothing to do with taste. That's the point. Weight has nothing to do with God's ability to lift it, as he isn't a physical being under the restrictions of physical laws (that's logical, not only from the idea that he creates something out of nothing, but also the idea that he was the first cause, and is thus not bound by the constraints of cause and effect).
Quote:
You see, this is why I called you ignorant before when it comes to Christianity throughout the world. Reality check; organized religion defines the content of the Bible or the interpretation of the texts.
Organisations as a whole have defined history for as long as history has been recorded. Like I said before, the reliability of current Bible translations can be discussed elsewhere. Neither of us have enough understanding of the Greek of New Testament times to discuss this point. However, in some denominations it is a requirement for Ministers to learn to read the Ancient Hebrew and Greek languages used in the oldest manuscripts of the Old and New Testament. As much as it is arguable that we perhaps don't have access to the letters and books of the New Testament as they were when they were written, I'm sure it isn't hard to believe that modern translations are consistent enough with the Bible as it was during the crusades.
Quote:
It's too easy to hide behind the idea that you or your local religious community interprets the Bible differently and therefore beliefs it doesn't justify what happens elsewhere.
"Local" is too strong a word -- my family are from South Africa, and I've moved around Australia, Fiji, and now live in Canada where I've been to two different churches so far. And again, I have never attempted to justify wrong-doings done in God's name, Christianity's name, or even by Christian organizations.
Quote:
Specific to a distinct subset of Christians? Yeah, right. You're just pretending wrong-doing in name of Christianity in whatever way doesn't happen anywhere near you.
Again, doing something on behalf of another system doesn't make that system culpable. I have no issue with your problems with "organised religion", but your vision of Christianity is skewed by (yes, I say it again) a specific subset of Christianity. I don't care how much you scoff at such a description. Such a reaction is indicative of how little you are actually considering what I'm saying. Even that specific subset, which has many things I disagree with, is not responsible for these bad things: it's the weaknesses of the system (a monarchic system with a human head; a system which places too much power over people in the hands of a few -- a weakness that we specifically moved away from during the Reformation).
Quote:
You're saying I can not think of rock music as bad, because there's also a special kind of rock within the main genre that according to you is so great and wonderful that I can not think of rock music as bad. Thát's what's up here.
Again, don't put words in my mouth, please. I'm not saying you can't have a dislike for something, but to say authoritatively that it is all bad when you don't understand of significant parts of it is wrong. Admittedly, I was vague with my analogy.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Google is God [Re: JibbSmart] #305990
01/18/10 22:12
01/18/10 22:12
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
Yeah, it is good to know who we're talking to laugh Feel free to add me if you want.

With the "cyborg" idea, if they are no different to us, then surely some of them would believe in souls as well?

I think that you're right -- the belief in a soul and the belief in some sort of God(s) are closely related. Buddhism is an exception to most large religions, which teaches we have no souls, that we are strictly the products of cause and effect, and that there are not necessarily any gods -- Buddha himself was agnostic or atheist, depending on how you define those terms. No soul, no necessity for a God.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I do believe we each have a soul. Certainly a soulless machine can be tricked into thinking it has a soul on the basis that it thinks of itself as one being. But what I experience, and what I'm sure everyone else experiences, must surely be different from simply the cumulative effects of physical causes.

Jibb

thas exaclty were i wanted to bring you because.. now how do answer this:

The star sea, when broken in pieces, they give another being equal to the initial, which they move and live again, and now what? where they got that soul from..? weird isn't it? Thats why i think soul is like a weird thing I just can't say if exists or not

Last edited by MMike; 01/18/10 22:15.
Re: Google is God [Re: MMike] #306017
01/19/10 02:16
01/19/10 02:16
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
The star sea, when broken in pieces, they give another being equal to the initial, which they move and live again, and now what? where they got that soul from..? weird isn't it? Thats why i think soul is like a weird thing I just can't say if exists or not
That's an interesting question. I've wondered something along those lines -- apparently an earthworm can survive once it has been cut in half -- both halves live on separately. When do they become different earthworms?? This is probably why the concept of a "soul" is often connected with a belief in a higher power or a supernatural element -- something higher than the physical world, perhaps with one who has authority to create and distribute such "souls" as He/She/It wills. Apparently in history some have described certain body parts as housing the soul.

The Bible describes us as having dominion over the Earth and its animals, and having a unique breath of life. Thus many Christians (as well as Jews, and I think Muslims, who have similar origins) believe animals (like seastars and so on) don't have souls -- really just organic machines.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Google is God [Re: JibbSmart] #306018
01/19/10 02:38
01/19/10 02:38
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I have not read the bible, and I do not plan to, so I ask; Does the bible specifically state organic beings, humans in special, have a physical soul? Or could this soul very well be a non-physical collective description for things like character, preferences, emotions and mentality?

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Google is God [Re: Joozey] #306020
01/19/10 02:51
01/19/10 02:51
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
The New Testament describes death of the body and death of the soul as two different things; that the people of this world can kill your body, but not your soul: only God has the power to do that. I'm sure this is more than just the memory of our "character". But quite frankly the concept of a "soul" in the Bible is something I take for granted, and can't recall more precise details without looking into it laugh

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Google is God [Re: JibbSmart] #306054
01/19/10 10:58
01/19/10 10:58
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
By all means, go look it up! You'd be surprised.

The soul in the bible is often simply the equivalent of 'life' embodied in living creatures. In the earlier usage of the Old Testament it has no reference to the later philosophical meaning of something of an immaterial nature which will survive the body.

The immortal soul concept in modern-day Christianity obviously came from ancient Greek philosophy and it's therefore pretty unbiblical. Lots of scholars agree and admit this, heck go through church history and you'll find someone called Saint Augustine who's largely responsible for the change of how 'souls' are interpreted.

There's often times a huge difference between popular theology and what can be found in the scriptural teachings.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Google is God [Re: PHeMoX] #306104
01/19/10 19:07
01/19/10 19:07
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

But if animals have souls and we are animais, and then we have too, monkey too , cause we are all animalia Class... why Humans always want to be the best, the most powerful.. we are bodies like everything else.. i think sould is just.. a Canal from the body, to a controller, outthere... it must be that!

Thats why Aliens said , This is a vessel and they are not afraid of die, since souls can jump from vessel to vessel, death is not the end.

What most terrifies me, is that my memories will fade away, since they are made in my neurons ( i think thats were they are) and my personality will all gone, what i had learn, everything.. so if i re-incarnate later, I wont remember my past, and i will never know, that i have had lived before..

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite