Quote:
Yes, the New Testament is the "Greek Testament", because it was originally written in Greek. What's wrong with that? That certainly doesn't impose "ancient Greek philosphy" on it, although the possibility is there.

It was written in Greek because it came from the Eastern Roman empire, an area that tried hard to become as 'Greek' as possible when it comes to many things, not just Greek philosophy. Oh and at that time it wasn't actually ancient philosophy, but what they believed in back then. Hence that link there really is pretty obvious.

Quote:
You're implying that nothing in the New Testament is of worth unless it is already in the Old Testament. Wouldn't that make the New Testament redundant?

Well, why rewrite something, when it's supposed to have been of divine origin? This is what I meant with supersessionism, or replacement theology. It's pretty obvious the Old and New Testament often clash, both in content and ideology. I could open a new topic on that, but it should be dead obvious to anyone who knows even a little about the bible.

Quote:
You can't tell me that I won't find what I'm looking for in Christian Scripture, and then when I find it tell me it's useless because it's in the wrong half.

No, not at all, because it's really not actually in there.

Quote:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

This clearly refers to the afterlife and potentially speaks about heaven, not the 'soul'. That's simply a big stretch of what I would consider the most common interpretation. After all, Jesus doesn't give people a soul. Even in Christianity, in a philosophical sense, every one has their soul already. This text clearly speaks of how the afterlife would be eternal.

Quote:
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

This is typical rally speech for the oppressed to be honest and should be seen in a context of exaggeration and soul here could very well just mean 'hope'.
I'm not saying it doesn't mention the word soul here, but I do think it's pretty obvious from the context that it's not very specific about what 'soul' means here.
When it comes to parallel translations of this very same piece of text, you'll see people interpret it in all kinds of ways. Some even go as far as to say there's a separate hell for the body and another one for the soul, but that's really all just a modern interpretation of what could very well have meant something else in ancient days.

Quote:
"I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable." 1 Corinthians 15:50

One could interpret this as simply being the notion that one has to physically die before being able to get in heaven. (very convenient too, as this removes the burden of proving heaven even exist)

'The imperishable' might imply that it speaks of a soul in the sense you believe here, but it's still pretty unspecific in a literal sense. It's the same lyrical writing style the bible's full off, that can really mean anything or nothing at all.

"nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable."

In my opinion this basically means so much as 'something liable to perish or decay, won't become indestructible (through death). Meaning death will be a transformation.

Where in this do you think it would infer speaking of a soul in the definition you speak of??

Quote:
You can't tell me that I won't find what I'm looking for in Christian Scripture, and then when I find it tell me it's useless because it's in the wrong half.

You're not going to admit this and you don't have to, but all you've really found are your own interpretations. I don't want to sound arrogant here, but in a way this is exactly what I had predicted. It's the difference between popular theology and the actual scriptures.

Quote:
I rarely take the minister's word as gospel until I've looked in my Bible myself.

I seriously doubt that.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software